Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 06:23 PM)
People need to stop putting pressure on these prospects to come up and dominate right away. I could tell Moncada was pressing. It’s rare for a guy to come up and be an all-star from day 1. The freak outs about small sample sizes from the majors and minors have been completely ridiculous.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Apr 5, 2018 -> 06:41 PM)
Clean house with this bullpen it’s utter trash. Nate Jones should be the only one still here by year end. Some bad decisions made by staff with assembling the bullpen.

FR

Just to coax some of you back off the ledge, after yesterday's big day, his stat line, in 46 at bats, from the left side is now: .261 .358 .522

with 3 doubles, 3 homers, 8 RBI's, 7 walks, 3 stolen bases, no caught stealing. Project that out over 550 at bats and you have an All Star, maybe even an MVP.

When you take into consideration the following, it is even more encouraging:

1) He's batting lead off

2) Horrible weather

3) Too many off days

4) Still getting familiar with the League's pitchers

5) Less than 300 total MLB at bats

6) He is only 22

7) The exit velocity, on his batted balls, is near the best in baseball

If anyone wants to focus upon the real trouble signs, it is the alarmingly high strike outs and his lack of any production from the right side.

For my part, I'm just enjoying watching him grow and dreaming of what he and the rest of these kids, can become.

So Moncada makes one mistake (loafing), gets taken out of the game for it early on (which never happens). And there's not a word about this. We all forgive him. And Sale does the cutting up the uniform thing and he still is getting blasted for that. What's going on? For Ricky to take him out of a game for this, is kind of a big deal, folks. He is the guy who will be selling tickets. And he got reprimanded in a public way tonight. Not trying to cause a stink, just wondering why nobody's overreacting to what happened tonight between Ricky and Moncada.

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

I like that Ricky pulled him. Set the tone and message. Yoan will be the better player because of it or at least I hope he will be. 

Sounds like RR asked him why he didn't run hard, he said his hammy was tight, so he sat him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

So Moncada makes one mistake (loafing), gets taken out of the game for it early on (which never happens). And there's not a word about this. We all forgive him. And Sale does the cutting up the uniform thing and he still is getting blasted for that. What's going on? For Ricky to take him out of a game for this, is kind of a big deal, folks. He is the guy who will be selling tickets. And he got reprimanded in a public way tonight. Not trying to cause a stink, just wondering why nobody's overreacting to what happened tonight between Ricky and Moncada.

Failing to hustle and cutting up your teams uniforms in protest prior to performing your job are completely incomparable...

Also, RR has instituted a strict policy regarding hustling and has defined the consequences for a while now. He’s already sat Avi once for this same thing.

In the end, it looks like he wasn’t even pulled consequentially... would you like to tell us again who it is that’s overreacting?

😘 GreggyPoo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, hi8is said:

Failing to hustle and cutting up your teams uniforms in protest prior to performing your job are completely incomparable...

Also, RR has instituted a strict policy regarding hustling and has defined the consequences for a while now. He’s already sat Avi once for this same thing.

In the end, it looks like he wasn’t even pulled consequentially... would you like to tell us again who it is that’s overreacting?

😘 GreggyPoo

My bad. I received incorrect info in the game thread and apparently it was fake news and he was hurt and not loafing. Hail Moncada.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, greg775 said:

My bad. I received incorrect info in the game thread and apparently it was fake news and he was hurt and not loafing. Hail Moncada.

Oh no, good Sir... Hail greg!!!! All Hail GREG!!!!!!

On 4/22/2018 at 12:44 AM, greg775 said:

I have a vivid memory of Bobby Cox doing the same thing to Andruw Jones very early in his career when he didn't run hard to catch a short fly ball in I believe 1998.  Actually pulled him in the middle of the inning, didn't even wait for the inning to end.  

Jones got the message immediately.  

Let's get the cycle in a game where that last hit is not a meaningless one in the overall scheme of the game...haha.

Also great to see his strikeout percentage get back down under 40%.

He has a higher OPS than Altuve as of tonight (good for 9th among qualified 2B).

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/2b/sort/OPS/order/true

Is there any way to get the updated fWAR numbers?  Have to subscribe to fangraphs?  By bWAR, he's only at 0.5.

Edited by caulfield12