Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

Not if he can put up 8 fWAR with a nearly 40% K rate. Once he cuts that down (and I think he will, significantly), the sky is the limit for what he'll be able to do on a baseball field.

"IF" he cuts down the strikeout rate to the 25% range, he's an MVP candidate more than likely. He'd basically be Jose Altuve at the plate (lower batting average but comparable OBP, SLG, OPS) with far superior defense and baserunning.

1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

"IF" he cuts down the strikeout rate to the 25% range, he's an MVP candidate more than likely. He'd basically be Jose Altuve at the plate (lower batting average but comparable OBP, SLG, OPS) with far superior defense and baserunning.

Don't know about Altuve, but closer to Brian Dozier's stat line with the lower average in there.  Either way, I'll take it!

You all know that I have hoped for Moncada to become a Ricky Henderson, Tim Raines type leadoff hitter. While I still think that he has the potential to be that kind of player, it looks more likely that the Sox will need his left handed thunder, in the middle of the order. Without him hitting somewhere in the middle, I just don't see any other left handed hitting prospects, down on the Farm.

My hopes for Collins to be that guy are fading, and it looks like Zavala may have a better chance of becoming the starting catcher, for the rebuild. He would be yet another right handed hitter. Although he is off to a good start, Rutherford hasn't shown any power, which suggests that if and when he does make it, he is not the answer, for a power left handed bat. Basabe could become a solid player, but again, he's not a big power bat. All of the most promising position players are right handed hitters. Eloy, Robert and Adolfo could be the starting outfield, in 2020 and they all hit right handed.

If Anderson can continue to show significantly more ability to draw walks, he becomes a viable leadoff hitter, which would afford the Sox the opportunity to move Yoan to the middle of the order. I find it a little perplexing that Hahn, who has often mentioned the need for a left handed, middle of the order bat, has not made more of a serious effort to acquire one. Maybe the front office  thought that both Collins and Rutherford had a good chance to fill that void.

This complete absence of a left handed, middle of the order, power bat, continues to argue for the Sox trying to sign Harper, over Machado. He is at the top of my wish list. Starting lineup in 2020:

SS Anderson

2B Moncada

1B  Abreu (He is the guy whom the front office should resign) 

RF  Harper

LF  Eloy

DH  ????

C   Zavala/Collins

3B Yolmer

CF Robert (He will likely move up in the order, but not immediately)

If Rutherford, Basabe or Adolfo push their way into the starting lineup, they would all be better defensive outfielders than Eloy. That might lead to him going to first base and letting Abreu DH. If Adolfo is the one who emerges, he should be in RF, for his arm, which would move Harper to LF.        In any event, that could be one very potent and scary lineup. Speed, power and good balance, from both sides of the plate. Compare that to acquiring Machado, instead of Harper and benching Yolmer. Of course, we would have to resign Sanchez but that shouldn't be difficult, or too expensive.

Edited by Lillian

Good stuff from Chuck:

The two of them hadn’t even met until Monday when they encountered each other at of all places—second base. Moncada had just doubled for his second hit of the night. That gave Cano a close look at the swing that happens to be identical to his.

“I was watching that the other day on second base and I was like, ‘Wow, it’s the same swing,’” Cano said.

Growing up in Cuba, Moncada idolized Cano. He didn’t just play the same position and copy his swing, he wore Cano’s jersey number and even named his son after him.

“It’s something you can’t describe because as a player it’s the first time that’s happened where you see a player name their kid after you,” Cano said.

Despite their similarities, Cano admits there are some differences that favor the young Moncada.

Who hits the ball harder?

“I would say him. He’s stronger.”

And speed?

“He’s got something I never have. He can run. I was slow, always.”

Moncada’s biggest problem right now is strikeouts. He has 38 this season, second most in baseball. Cano, who has only 14, provided some advice for Moncada.

“The only thing I can give him for that is making the game simple and try not to swing so hard,” Cano explained. "The thing is when we swing too hard and try to hit a homer, we chase pitches. When you try to stay simple, try to make contact and use the whole field that’s when you can minimize the strikeout.”

AJ Pollock and Grandal should be two of our top FA acquisition targets...from that FG leaders page.

And how is it possible for Corey Dickerson (many teams passed on) and Semien to be the top and 6th best defenders?  Moncada, for what it’s worth, shows up as the #22 defensive player.

Avi Garcia is back to being 179/180, fwiw.  Engel is even worse, but not qualified anymore.

Anderson, Sanchez, Abreu, Davidson and Castillo round out our top 6.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

AJ Pollock and Grandal should be two of our top FA acquisition targets...from that FG leaders page.

And how is it possible for Corey Dickerson (many teams passed on) and Semien to be the top and 6th best defenders?  Moncada, for what it’s worth, shows up as the #22 defensive player.

Avi Garcia is back to being 179/180, fwiw.  Engel is even worse, but not qualified anymore.

But he isn’t a bad defender!!!!!!11

Just now, soxfan49 said:

The Sun Times asked “who would you rather have for the future, Baez or Moncada?” Guess who’s winning?! Cubs “fans” are the worst/dumbest.

Some scorching hot takes have come from this crappy question/article. 

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

The Sun Times asked “who would you rather have for the future, Baez or Moncada?” Guess who’s winning?! Cubs “fans” are the worst/dumbest.

Yeah I saw that. The 20 game sample of Baez turning into Mike Trout offensively really messed with their minds. Prior to this season, even Yolmer Sanchez graded as a better player than Baez. 

7 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Why do defensive stats mean anything this early ? I thought defensive stats really needed time to paint a clearer picture .

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I just can't take any stat seriously that ranks Semien among the best defenders. I love the kid, but even a good defender, he ain't. 

12 hours ago, Lillian said:

You all know that I have hoped for Moncada to become a Ricky Henderson, Tim Raines type leadoff hitter. While I still think that he has the potential to be that kind of player, it looks more likely that the Sox will need his left handed thunder, in the middle of the order. Without him hitting somewhere in the middle, I just don't see any other left handed hitting prospects, down on the Farm.

My hopes for Collins to be that guy are fading, and it looks like Zavala may have a better chance of becoming the starting catcher, for the rebuild. He would be yet another right handed hitter. Although he is off to a good start, Rutherford hasn't shown any power, which suggests that if and when he does make it, he is not the answer, for a power left handed bat. Basabe could become a solid player, but again, he's not a big power bat. All of the most promising position players are right handed hitters. Eloy, Robert and Adolfo could be the starting outfield, in 2020 and they all hit right handed.

If Anderson can continue to show significantly more ability to draw walks, he becomes a viable leadoff hitter, which would afford the Sox the opportunity to move Yoan to the middle of the order. I find it a little perplexing that Hahn, who has often mentioned the need for a left handed, middle of the order bat, has not made more of a serious effort to acquire one. Maybe the front office  thought that both Collins and Rutherford had a good chance to fill that void.

This complete absence of a left handed, middle of the order, power bat, continues to argue for the Sox trying to sign Harper, over Machado. He is at the top of my wish list. Starting lineup in 2020:

SS Anderson

2B Moncada

1B  Abreu (He is the guy whom the front office should resign) 

RF  Harper

LF  Eloy

DH  ????

C   Zavala/Collins

3B Yolmer

CF Robert (He will likely move up in the order, but not immediately)

If Rutherford, Basabe or Adolfo push their way into the starting lineup, they would all be better defensive outfielders than Eloy. That might lead to him going to first base and letting Abreu DH. If Adolfo is the one who emerges, he should be in RF, for his arm, which would move Harper to LF.        In any event, that could be one very potent and scary lineup. Speed, power and good balance, from both sides of the plate. Compare that to acquiring Machado, instead of Harper and benching Yolmer. Of course, we would have to resign Sanchez but that shouldn't be difficult, or too expensive.

Great post. This is how I could see the sox shaking up shortly

DH - Abreu (lock him down)
C - Grandal# - FA
1B - Sheets*
2B - Moncada#
SS - Machado - FA
3B - Sanchez# - Long term contract
LF - Jimenez
CF - Anderson
RF - Robert

SP - Kopech
SP - Lopez
SP - Rodon*
SP - Giolito / Fulmer
SP - Hansen / Dunning / Cease

CL - Burdi

13 hours ago, Lillian said:

You all know that I have hoped for Moncada to become a Ricky Henderson, Tim Raines type leadoff hitter..

You may have your wish. Looks like Ricky isn't as dumb as I thought. Now that he's used to leading off, might as well leave him there for the next 17 seasons. Maybe Avi was getting used to the 2 slot as well. I thought RR was crazy. I saw Moncada as a somebody lower in the order driving the ball and driving in a lot of runs.

11 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

I just can't take any stat seriously that ranks Semien among the best defenders. I love the kid, but even a good defender, he ain't. 

These same stats have pretty consistently ranked Semien below average and worse throughout his career at SS, so I would treat what he has so far this season as a blip in the same way that bad hitters occasionally have good hitting statistics for a while.