Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

11 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Way too late for that my friend. 

Moncada's hit tool is being exposed big time by major league pitching. He has an OPS under 700 and and an OBP under 300. We all know about the horrendous K rate. How does this all magically turn around for him? 

The Sox billed this kid as a Porsche in all the press that came out during and after the Sale trade. After 500 major league plate appearances, it looks like the Sox got a Kia instead. 

Hard to be late for something that would never happen.

go ahead and bury him after 500 PA

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Hard to be late for something that would never happen.

go ahead and bury him after 500 PA

I'm not burying him completely . I asked a question on how he can turn it around and hope that he can. 

He is being surpassed by prospects that are younger than him and that is concerning though. 

8 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

I'm not burying him completely . I asked a question on how he can turn it around and hope that he can. 

He is being surpassed by prospects that are younger than him and that is concerning though. 

Dude, you just called him a Kia.  Who cares about other prospects, development isn’t linear.  

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Let the children play. They'll be the same ones walking around with Moncada shersey's around the park in 2020.  

Funny how just alittle over a month ago, not a peep. Now that Moncada has struggled, here come the pessimists that even makes my boy @fathomblush. 

I think it's probably well known around here that so far, I've not been overly thrilled with Moncada. However, for those already thinking about trading him and coming up with fake ideas on how to do so, that's sickening. We can criticize him day to day, but we're already at the point of trading him? Yikes.

If he's still struggling in September 2019, we have an issue, but spoiler: that's 14.5 months away. Take it easy.

35 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Dude, you just called him a Kia.  Who cares about other prospects, development isn’t linear.  

He is playing like a Kia right now. Looks a lot more like Emilio Bonifacio than Robinson Cano at this point in his career. Let's hope he starts playing better soon. 

It is frustrating to watch other prospects come up and play well right away. It just seems like the Sox can't have nice things..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

He is playing like a Kia right now. Looks a lot more like Emilio Bonifacio than Robinson Cano at this point in his career. Let's hope he starts playing better soon. 

It is frustrating to watch other prospects come up and play well right away. It just seems like the Sox can't have nice things..

Where were you when Moncada had a .877 OPS at the start of May? All the other prospects who come up and set the world on fire (as Moncada did in April) fall off pretty hard. Ozzie Albies, who has been just as bad, if not worse, than Moncada over the last month, is a great example of this. 

10 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Robinson Cano you say?  Check out his August of his rookie year, and that stellar .513 OPS he put up.

Next.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=canoro01&year=2005&t=b

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Robinson Cano you say?  Check out his August of his rookie year, and that stellar .513 OPS he put up.

Next.

The glaring difference is that Cano had a .232 BABIP that month whereas Moncada has a .324 BABIP this year with a .221 avg.

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Next.

Cano had a 778 OPS at the end of his Rookie year.

Also, Moncada is no longer a Rookie. 

Cano only struck out 68 times his rookie year in over 500 plate appearances. Moncada is sitting at 97 in mid-June. 

Edited by tlongo81@gmail.com
  • Thanks 1

Right now it really is his K rate that is the problem, and I agree it's his looking-at-third-strike tendency that needs to be vastly improved upon

I think people are largely ignoring the fact that years of service rookie/non-rookie/number of PA's aside, the kid is still just barely 23. It could be he hits his stride at 24-25.

8 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Cano only struck out 68 times his rookie year in over 500 plate appearances. Moncada is sitting at 97 in mid-June. 

Cano had more PA's in his rookie year than Moncada has had in his entire career, yet Moncada isn't a rookie? This dude's talking just to talk. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Moncada's also had more than 3x more BB's than Cano and more HR's in fewer PA's. Jesus, dude. 

Also, we're comparing him to Robinson Cano, who was most likely a HOF'er up until he got popped. 

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Cano had more PA's in his rookie year than Moncada has had in his entire career, yet Moncada isn't a rookie? This dude's talking just to talk. 

Moncada is at 523 Plate Appearances in his career. Cano had 551 at the end of his Rookie year. The number of PA are pretty close albeit spread out over 3 years for Moncada.

Moncada has been compared to Cano from the minute he signed with Boston. The Sox pumped article after article about Moncada "the #1 Prospect in baseball" after the Sale trade was made. The Sox traded away  the best pitcher in franchise history and a future HOF for Moncada. The kid was brought here to be a perennial all star.

In what bizarro world is a 40% strike out rate considered good and not a giant red flag?  

• Thanks 1

Just now, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Moncada is at 523 Plate Appearances in his career. Cano had 551 at the end of his Rookie year. The number of PA are pretty close albeit spread out over 3 years for Moncada.

Moncada has been compared to Cano from the minute he signed with Boston. The Sox pumped article after article about Moncada "the #1 Prospect in baseball" after the Sale trade was made. The Sox traded away  the best pitcher in franchise history and a future HOF for Moncada. The kid was brought here to be a perennial all star.

In what bizarro world is a 40% strike out rate considered good and not a giant red flag?  

You literally just illustrated my argument in more detail. Good job, thanks. Aside from that, I never even mentioned his K rate. In what bizarro world did anybody ever say his K rate was good? 

35 minutes ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

The number of ABs both players had before their major slumps is actually really close.  The difference is that Moncadas were spread over multiple seasons, where Cano did his all at once.

FWIW, Moncada has the second most called third strikes on pitches that were outside the zone in MLB with 9 such blown calls. Matt Davidson is first with 11. For the sake of context, he's also struck out looking 22 times on pitches *inside* the zone, which ranks highly. Still, you're looking at nearly a third of his strikeouts looking ending on a blown call by the umpire. For more context, he's had 5 pitches in the zone called balls with 2 strikes (56th highest in MLB), so this isn't merely an artifact of him taking a lot of pitches. League-wide players on average get many more 2-strike pitches in the zone called balls than the opposite kind of mistake because the strike zone as it is typically called by umpires is smaller than the rulebook strike zone. And as one last fun fact about Moncada's struggles with the umpires, he's had 5 occasions in which a 3-ball pitch outside the zone was called a strike, 3rd highest number in the league. He's only had the inverse happen 2 times, making him one of the unluckiest full time players by that measure as well.

Side note: Davidson has only struck out 14 times looking on pitches inside the zone, meaning it's about a coin flip when he's called out looking whether strike 3 was in the zone or not.

• Like 1

Hopefully Moncada will figure it out - obviously he has talent.  I'm sure the pressure of being here to be the big star of the future is also hard to deal with. At this point it's certainly reasonable for people to be worried.  

But yeah we have a couple more years before we can start to make any real conclusions.

• Like 1