Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

They tell me he has taken an insane amount of 3rd strikes 

And despite the Sox telling him to be more aggressive, it's still happening far too often.  Would love to see him just poke those close 2 strikes pitches to the left side and let his speed work for him. Since he's been on the Sox, I can only recall a few infield hits he's had where his good speed got him a single.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

And despite the Sox telling him to be more aggressive, it's still happening far too often.  Would love to see him just poke those close 2 strikes pitches to the left side and let his speed work for him. Since he's been on the Sox, I can only recall a few infield hits he's had where his good speed got him a single.

About half of those he wasn't going to do anything with the pitch anyway. The whole ump/called 3rd way out of the zone thing has become beyond ludicrous and frustrating. I can only imagine how Moncada feels. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

He needs to play and he needs to swing the bat enough to keep umps and pitchers honest. 

No doubt. For whatever reason the umps really screw him over on pitches inside off the plate. He's going to need to swing earlier in the count at pitches over the plate or back off the plate a bit to get more wood on those inside pitches.

The eye is there. As far as I can tell the pitches he struggles with most are breaking balls down in the zone and below it. Which alot of players have problems with in two strike counts. 

I hate to bring this name up but remember how Sosa was a sucker for sliders off the plate with two strikes? Was literally an automatic out. Sosa countered that by try to swing earlier in the counts when pitchers were throwing more over the plate to try and get ahead. Didn't always work but it helped him quite a bit.

34 minutes ago, BlackSox13 said:

No doubt. For whatever reason the umps really screw him over on pitches inside off the plate. He's going to need to swing earlier in the count at pitches over the plate or back off the plate a bit to get more wood on those inside pitches.

The eye is there. As far as I can tell the pitches he struggles with most are breaking balls down in the zone and below it. Which alot of players have problems with in two strike counts. 

I hate to bring this name up but remember how Sosa was a sucker for sliders off the plate with two strikes? Was literally an automatic out. Sosa countered that by try to swing earlier in the counts when pitchers were throwing more over the plate to try and get ahead. Didn't always work but it helped him quite a bit.

Yep why wait to get to a pitch you're not going to hit anyways. It's a problem I feel a lot of the Sox hitters have this year and another reason I question the coaching staff's ability to develop a game plan with the personnel.  If a guy has a top-notch breaking pitch like McCullers, you can't just allow fastball after fastball down the plate to be called a strike and then chase sliders a foot off the plate.

It gets frustrating watching Yoan take first pitch fastball down the plate for a strike, foul off a fastball on the outer half for strike two and you know there's a ridiculously likely chance of him chasing an offspeed pitch with two strikes or guessing an offspeed pitch is coming and take a called 3rd.  Good news is this is absolutely type of thing he will improve upon as he develops.

9 hours ago, fathom said:

Yep why wait to get to a pitch you're not going to hit anyways. It's a problem I feel a lot of the Sox hitters have this year and another reason I question the coaching staff's ability to develop a game plan with the personnel.  If a guy has a top-notch breaking pitch like McCullers, you can't just allow fastball after fastball down the plate to be called a strike and then chase sliders a foot off the plate.

It gets frustrating watching Yoan take first pitch fastball down the plate for a strike, foul off a fastball on the outer half for strike two and you know there's a ridiculously likely chance of him chasing an offspeed pitch with two strikes or guessing an offspeed pitch is coming and take a called 3rd.  Good news is this is absolutely type of thing he will improve upon as he develops.

Oh man, your second paragraph described it perfectly. Can't remember how many times I've seen a Moncada atbat go exactly like that. I do agree though, he will learn. Just have to trust in the tools.

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yes, that is dreamland if Moncada reaches his ceiling. It really isn't that hard to imagine. 

He has the potential to be on the "best of the best ever" (i.e. Mike Trout)  level. I'm not saying he gets there, but yeah, he has the potential to have the argument in the future: Which season was better? Moncada's 2022 or Thomas' 1994? 

Yeah I remember when Gordan Beckham had the potential to be the next Jeff Kent and Joe Borchard had the potential to be the next Dave Kingman.... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tlongo81@gmail.com said:

Yeah I remember when Gordan Beckham had the potential to be the next Jeff Kent and Joe Borchard had the potential to be the next Dave Kingman.... 

GMAFB. Kwitcher b****in. Very few, if any of us are happy or even okay with the fact that KW and Hahn got the opportunity to right the ship. We're not on the board, so we can't make the decisions. Why waste time complaining about things that are history and that we can't control? All we can do as fans is hope that the powers that be make the correct decisions from here forward. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I'm not really sure how you can complain about Beckham and LTP being hyped up. Beckham had a lot of success at the MLB level and then fell off a cliff. It wasn't just Sox fans projecting him to be great either. LTP had some of the loudest tools you'll ever see. To this day, I've never seen anybody hit a ball harder than a couple off his bat. He was a great athlete that never figured out a good approach.

Obviously none of this has anything to do with Yoan though. 

*edit*

If you really wanna get pissed, the big Borchard comparison sure as hell wasn't Dave Kingman. It was Mickey Mantle. 

Edited by TaylorStSox

44 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'm not really sure how you can complain about Beckham and LTP being hyped up. Beckham had a lot of success at the MLB level and then fell off a cliff. It wasn't just Sox fans projecting him to be great either. LTP had some of the loudest tools you'll ever see. To this day, I've never seen anybody hit a ball harder than a couple off his bat. He was a great athlete that never figured out a good approach.

*edit*

If you really wanna get pissed, the big Borchard comparison sure as hell wasn't Dave Kingman. It was Mickey Mantle. 

I'm just commenting on the absurd and delusional hyperbole going on in this thread. Yoan Moncada is nowhere near the level of Mike Trout. Trout is gonna go down as one of the best players ever. Moncada isn't even close to being the best young second basemen in the game. 

• Thanks 1

On July 13, 2018 at 7:53 PM, TaylorStSox said:

*edit*

I give up, who was LTP?

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Not bad:

moncada.jpg

the power is there in the youngster, hopefully the rest continues to improve.   You have to think it will given his youth and obvious ability.  

Good to see his RC+ is over 100.  Moncada is trending up.