Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

13 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

IIRC it was really hard to find any video of this online a couple of years ago, but it looks like MLB put it up:

Sometimes I forget how massive our center field video board is. Then I see a video with the old one. 

3 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

If Moncada finishes the year at .250/.320/.430/.750 and with 35 2B, 9 3B and 23 HR I don't know how anyone could call that disappointing for a first full season.

If his trend is mostly real, he's basically on pace for that.

I think he's more likely to finish .260/.335/.790, with 35 2B 12 3B and 25 HR. If his legs get healthy he could get 20-25 SB as well, but I wouldn't run him that much in a lost season. We saw with Robert the perils of stealing. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think he's more likely to finish .260/.335/.790, with 35 2B 12 3B and 25 HR. If his legs get healthy he could get 20-25 SB as well, but I wouldn't run him that much in a lost season. We saw with Robert the perils of stealing. 

13 homers in 65ish games is asking a lot...

• Like 1

Moncada in July:

Yoan Moncada in July (57 PA): .327/.421/.592 with 2 HR and a SB. Has a 14 BB% and 26 K%.

If I was dreaming and said what would be his ideal and yet realistic line in his prime -- that would be it.  Obviously it's not the steroid era anymore and 280/370/520 is about all you can ask out of a middle infielder but man what a July this kid had!  SSS but you can dream on it.  Overall to be sitting at a 103 wRC and 1.5 fWAR in 70 odd games is hardly awful.  I'd say it's downright solid given his youth. 

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Moncada in July:

If I was dreaming and said what would be his ideal and yet realistic line in his prime -- that would be it.  Obviously it's not the steroid era anymore and 280/370/520 is about all you can ask out of a middle infielder but man what a July this kid had!  SSS but you can dream on it.  Overall to be sitting at a 103 wRC and 1.5 fWAR in 70 odd games is hardly awful.  I'd say it's downright solid given his youth. 

I don't think he'll be a .300 hitter because of the power and strikeout rate. I think .275 but with good power, speed, and solid fielding could make him a seven year all star caliber player. I want to see high average and power from Eloy and Robert though.

22 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

If Moncada finishes the year at .250/.320/.430/.750 and with 35 2B, 9 3B and 23 HR I don't know how anyone could call that disappointing for a first full season.

If his trend is mostly real, he's basically on pace for that.

Getting that OBP into that .320 range (or higher) is a key for him.  He should continue to get plenty of power - both doubles and HR, but he needs those walks to offset the strikeouts.  

9 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Getting that OBP into that .320 range (or higher) is a key for him.  He should continue to get plenty of power - both doubles and HR, but he needs those walks to offset the strikeouts.  

.340 range or higher; and .360+ if he's going to be an all star level player.

9 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Moncada in July:

It's not the first time he's put together a hot streak like this, either, though it IS the first time we've seen a low enough K rate for it to be even remotely sustainable. He's a monster with a 26% K rate and a .265 ISO.

Moncada in July:

We're unquestionably still in the steroid era. I don't think that ever changes. You think a guy the size of Altuve would be hitting balls 450 feet 40 years ago? 

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

We're unquestionably still in the steroid era. I don't think that ever changes. You think a guy the size of Altuve would be hitting balls 450 feet 40 years ago? 

The ball is juiced, for sure, but it's a lot harder for the player to be juiced now. Also, core and leg strength are huge drivers of power, as is launch angle. Jose Altuve's size is not prohibitive of developing power, other than the fact that short players have historically gotten tracked to a contact/speed game and rarely have had organizations work on developing their power.

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

The ball is juiced, for sure, but it's a lot harder for the player to be juiced now. Also, core and leg strength are huge drivers of power, as is launch angle. Jose Altuve's size is not prohibitive of developing power, other than the fact that short players have historically gotten tracked to a contact/speed game and rarely have had organizations work on developing their power.

People are still getting popped and the juicers will always be ahead of the testers. Players aren't brazenly taking Androl and Tren anymore, but they're still doing whatever they can. It's not just baseball though. PEDS are absolutely prevalent in every sport. The bar has been set and there's no turning back. I'd put my life savings on Altuve being juiced to the gills. There's not a doubt in my mind. 

• Like 1

Moncada in July:

Yes.  I would be thrilled if we got 1.000 OPS seasons out of Yoan Moncada.  Especially with his game changing speed and defensive potential.  Tthat could be an MVP type of season in the right year.

1 hour ago, BFirebird said:

His OBP will jump as he gets a little more selectively aggressive.  Once he builds in umpire respect, that number will go crazy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

This guy goes from future MVP to bust back to future MVP back to bust back to future MVP more than anyone.

Of course he's going to be highly scrutinized, he's the main player the White Sox got for a pitcher who, after tonight, has started three consecutive All-Star games and has been a perennially contender for the Cy Young award for the better part of a decade. That said, I think it's likely that the people who are posting most frequently is the main thing that's changing when he struggles or is hot is who is posting. There seems to be a skeptical group and an optimistic group, and the one that posts more will vary based on his recent results.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Of course he's going to be highly scrutinized, he's the main player the White Sox got for a pitcher who, after tonight, has started three consecutive All-Star games and has been a perennially contender for the Cy Young award for the better part of a decade. That said, I think it's likely that the people who are posting most frequently is the main thing that's changing when he struggles or is hot is who is posting. There seems to be a skeptical group and an optimistic group, and the one that posts more will vary based on his recent results.

Also very true. 

16 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

It’s fun being a Dreamnik with Yoan.  It’s just such an easy path to 5-6 WAR for him.  

Edited by Jerksticks
  • Like 1