Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

40 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's not just that he is striking out. His approach at the plate isn't very good if he has lost so many points because of umpires. He may need to start swinging at close calls until this is figured out. 

That would only make things worse. Listen, Nobody is happy that Moncada is hitting .220, Giolito just got his ERA below 6 for the first time since April, and Lopez has been bad to meh for the last 2 months, but what good does pointing that fact out every time they make a start or go 0-4 with 2K do? I think that Giolito and Moncada will eventually be fine for sure. I'm not as positive about Lopez because he's throwing strikes, has all of his stuff, and is still not missing bats. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That would only make things worse. Listen, Nobody is happy that Moncada is hitting .220, Giolito just got his ERA below 6 for the first time since April, and Lopez has been bad to meh for the last 2 months, but what good does pointing that fact out every time they make a start or go 0-4 with 2K do? I think that Giolito and Moncada will eventually be fine for sure. I'm not as positive about Lopez because he's throwing strikes, has all of his stuff, and is still not missing bats. 

He has a great eye, so I wouldn't mind if he swung early in the count if it was a pitch he could drive. Great hitters are also good at protecting the strike zone and fouling off tough pitches. Him getting better at doing this would not hurt his development. This sport is about making adjustments when you are first trying to figure things out. Teams will gameplan for your weakness and advantages they may have over you. In the case of Moncada he cannot just keep striking out and hoping things will get better. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Juschill said:

I must be confused.  I thought the stat said "on the edges or outside".  Unless 100% of those pitches are fully outside that does not make all 38 of those pitches bad calls.  You quoted the statistic, you should actually read it's definition.

Judging by how often you post your confusion I would agree with your confusion. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Judging by how often you post your confusion I would agree with your confusion. 

I concur.  I am often confused when mods cite statistics incorrectly.  My error.  You've convinced me based on your modified definition of the statistic that the umpires are out to screw a guy who has never had a problem with the umpires.  Very well reasoned.

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

He has a great eye, so I wouldn't mind if he swung early in the count if it was a pitch he could drive. Great hitters are also good at protecting the strike zone and fouling off tough pitches. Him getting better at doing this would not hurt his development. This sport is about making adjustments when you are first trying to figure things out. Teams will gameplan for your weakness and advantages they may have over you. In the case of Moncada he cannot just keep striking out and hoping things will get better. 

I don't disagree, but I don't want him swinging at crap because he thinks it might be called a strike. The worst thing you can do is take someone with an awesome eye like that and turn them into a free swinger. Once you become a free swinger, it is harder to quit swinging at crap.  It becomes a habit, that is more ingrained the longer you do it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

How did a thread dedicated to the single most important person on the current MLB roster become this distracted and useless? We haven't beaten this horse entirely to death, after all- let's talk more about that k-rate, his batting eye and other MLB stars who developed slowly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Sir said:

How did a thread dedicated to the single most important person on the current MLB roster become this distracted and useless? We haven't beaten this horse entirely to death, after all- let's talk more about that k-rate, his batting eye and other MLB stars who developed slowly.

It has become a cesspool of people b****ing. They want him to be good right now. These people remind me of Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka."Don't care how, I want it now"  This is sports, it is supposed to be fun. Make it fun to watch him grow, instead of frustrating. Be happy when Moncada gets a hit or a HR and shrug it off when he doesn't. Chalk it up to "development isn't linear" When Moncada puts it all together(and I think he will, which is why I said when and not if) he's going to be really fun to watch. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

Honestly, the reactions are starting to ruin this board.  I know it's not a big deal, but the reactions are clearly escalating the frustration and the stupidity here.

My suggestion: dump "confused", just give us "Likes" and be done with it.  Only positive reputation or nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It has become a cesspool of people b****ing. They want him to be good right now. These people remind me of Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka."Don't care how, I want it now"  This is sports, it is supposed to be fun. Make it fun to watch him grow, instead of frustrating. Be happy when Moncada gets a hit or a HR and shrug it off when he doesn't. Chalk it up to "development isn't linear" When Moncada puts it all together(and I think he will, which is why I said when and not if) he's going to be really fun to watch. 

Can we just point out for sure who the "Confused Trolls" are?

57 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

Honestly, the reactions are starting to ruin this board.  I know it's not a big deal, but the reactions are clearly escalating the frustration and the stupidity here.

My suggestion: dump "confused", just give us "Likes" and be done with it.  Only positive reputation or nothing.

I'm more annoyed the "confusion" posts aren't even a negative. I don't know if some posters know that. It doesn't take away a like at all. No -1, etc. It's just there.

After an internal mod/admin conversation and due to a few people posting literally hundreds of "confused" reactions and instead of using it to contribute to conversation using it as a passive aggressive means of detracting from conversation, the reaction has been disabled until further notice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

After an internal mod/admin conversation and due to a few people posting literally hundreds of "confused" reactions and instead of using it to contribute to conversation using it as a passive aggressive means of detracting from conversation, the reaction has been disabled until further notice.

Way to pump up some likes Mike!

• Love 1