Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

The Oriole series was pretty much what we have seen all season. He goes 3-4 w a walk, 1-4  w 2KO and 0-5 w 3KO.  Like a roller-coaster.  Went over the 200 KO mark yesterday. Hopefully Stanton catches him. Yoan needs a fresh start in 2019. 

4 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I had a hunch it was like this, but the splits are a little unreal

Moncada .203/.273/.322/.595 day games vs. .244/.329/.445/.774 night

His numbers over the last 24 games are pretty solid

.270/.337/.416/.753 with 25 strikeouts

But it's September so it's meaningless.

:banghead:

9 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I had a hunch it was like this, but the splits are a little unreal

Moncada .203/.273/.322/.595 day games vs. .244/.329/.445/.774 night

His numbers over the last 24 games are pretty solid

.270/.337/.416/.753 with 25 strikeouts

Maybe next season he should wear sun glasses similar to what Baez does then.

He's probably been stuck within that band range of 690-710 OPS for most of the last 4-6 weeks as well.

You can say the same of Yolmer and Anderson, although Tim's been 5-15 points higher on average than Moncada.

Right now, sitting on an exact 700 ops with 204 strikeouts, 11 games left to go.

Edited by caulfield12

51 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

He's probably been stuck within that band range of 690-710 OPS for most of the last 4-6 weeks as well.

You can say the same of Yolmer and Anderson, although Tim's been 5-15 points higher on average than Moncada.

Right now, sitting on an exact 700 ops with 204 strikeouts, 11 games left to go.

I feel like he's been around a 1.1 fWAR for 3 months 

6 hours ago, Justinsettle said:

Fangraphs had a good article a couple of years ago about Kyle schwarber.  Prospects with major swing and miss issues on pitches in the zone don’t really get better with time.  Moncada has major swing and miss issues.  Definitely not what I had hoped for after the hype of the Sale trade.  

Kyle Schwarber is good now though

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 5:06 PM, Justinsettle said:

Fangraphs had a good article a couple of years ago about Kyle schwarber.  Prospects with major swing and miss issues on pitches in the zone don’t really get better with time.  Moncada has major swing and miss issues.  Definitely not what I had hoped for after the hype of the Sale trade.  

Five posts?  Slow day on the North Side forums?

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 6:43 AM, Jose Abreu said:

Kyle Schwarber is good now though

Schwarber is a 35+ homer guy though. 30% Ks can work if you have a good walk rate (which moncada has) and plus power (which he has hinted at but not shown consistently).

If moncada could become a 35+ homer hitter with 12% walks and a 250 BA he is essentially adam dunn (not the washed up one that played for the sox) which would be fine.

4 hours ago, dominik-keul@gmx.de said:

Schwarber is a 35+ homer guy though. 30% Ks can work if you have a good walk rate (which moncada has) and plus power (which he has hinted at but not shown consistently).

If moncada could become a 35+ homer hitter with 12% walks and a 250 BA he is essentially adam dunn (not the washed up one that played for the sox) which would be fine.

Understand your point but Yoan also has speed and plays an average defense in the infield.  Unfortunately the #1 prospect and the coming of another Robinson Cano set too high expectations.  Hopefully he becomes an above average 2nd baseman with a ceiling of still being a star. 

Part of Moncada's recent change has been effectively eliminating — for the time being — his problem with making contact with pitches in the zone.

Qy65SYe.png

Note that he hasn't improved his contact rate by just taking more pitches in the zone. His contact rate has gone up along with this swing rate and pitches in the zone. As of right now, he's having the best 15-game run of in-zone contact of his career. Over that span, he's made contact at a rate well above league average. We'll see if he can keep it up.

The flip side is that we can see his terrible run in late July/early August was driven in part by a shocking drop in his contact rate at that time. You have to wonder what was going on physically/mentally during that period of about 3 weeks when he struck out in nearly half of his plate appearances.

Note also that Moncada has been making more contact on pitches outside the zone while retaining his elite selectivity on those pitches:

K28OcjP.png

He hasn't changed overnight, but these are fairly positive trends.

How would everyone feel about a Jose Valentin comp for Moncada? I can kinda see his career going that way. I don’t see the swing and miss issues disappearing for him, but I think it’s very reasonable to think the power/hr #’s jump up as he gets older. If he stays at 2B and plays the position above average I’d be fine with it, although clearly not what we all hoped for.