Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

When all the Ks are swinging, I'm not too worried. Today's game was the first time he'd struck out on a pitch that wasn't either in the zone or very close to it — I'll give a pass against Blake Snell for his first true chasing K. Not surprising that he has slowed down as he's been having more right-handed ABs. As long as he continues to make contact on strikes at a decent rate, is aggressive on pitches in the zone, and keeps his elite patience on pitches outside the zone, I'll keep my patience too.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

But is Moncada maintaining his elite patience or is he starting to hack at it, swing at balls in the dirt, etc. which are long-time traits of the prototypical White Sox hitter?

Moncada didn't have elite patience. His issue was that he was too patient. He would stare at tons of pitches whether they were strikes or balls.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Maybe. But since he is hitting  60 points higher facing lefties, that would make no sense.  

You really think he is going to be a better RH moving forward? It's fine to move him down when he's batting RH.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

You really think he is going to be a better RH moving forward? It's fine to move him down when he's batting RH.

He is still a work in progress. But this year he has shown the ability to hit LH pitching with a small sample.  He was red hot hitting out of the 2nd spot. Why take the chance that he might be affected by the change.  He has shown in the past to maybe'think too much" in the batters box.  

On 4/6/2018 at 11:00 PM, Jack Parkman said:

I get it. Sox fans are scarred. Brian Anderson, the back to back hilariously bad 1st rounders that were Lance Broadway and Kyle McCullouch, Courtney Hawkins not being able to hit anything in pro ball, Gordon Beckham coming up in 2009, setting the world on fire only to completely flame out afterward. Trading Gio Gonzalez twice. Tatis for Shields, the Wilder scandal and the list could go on forever, depending on how far back you want to go.

Sox fans wanted the rebuild, so we can't have prospect PTSD anymore. We have to look at it with a clean slate, because otherwise we can dismiss everything until ownership changes and the front office is replaced. We can go on with our lives without giving a rat's ass about the Sox.

I'm usually one of the most pessimistic posters here. Jack Parkman's law says Murphy was an optimist. If we're going to expect everything to fail miserably the what is the point of watching? Why do people even care? No matter what the FO tries to do, we can dismiss it as incompetence, etc. What is the point of being a sports fan if you always expect your team to lose because the odds say so? We all hate the Cub fan so much that we have gone completely in the other direction. They have eternal optimism, we have eternal pessimism that would put Murphy to shame. Sometimes being a sports fan is to be irrational. Spend that irrational energy on what the Sox look like in 2021 if only 2-3 of the top guys in our system completely wash out, and those three guys aren't the big names(Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Robert, Kopech, Jimenez) Imagine all of those guys approaching their ceiling. Irrational, yes. But not any more irrational than writing off Moncada after less than 1/2 season's worth of at bats at the major league level ofer 3 separate seasons.

This is the you I like.

On 4/8/2019 at 2:43 PM, Jack Parkman said:

Now 1 for his last 14 after the blistering start. he obviously wasn't going to hit .475 forever, but now 9 K to only 3 BB. 

I'm not getting overly concerned yet, but concern is starting to creep in a bit. 

This is the you that makes me crazy,

In one post you realize a baseball season is a marathon and not a sprint and in the 2nd one you're getting concerned over a 15 AB SSSS (seriously small sample size).

It's great we're all excited about the way he's hitting but adjustments from the pitchers will be forthcoming in the next 550 or so AB's of this season. Stay calm and be the you of the 1st post more often. When Konerko learned not too be too hard on himself he became a better player . As fans we could all learn to not be as hard on our team especially in light of the fact there's a lot of players coming and going during a rebuild. Criticism is warranted when players or management establishes a track record but all the SSSS BS is analyzing baseball like it's football and success at baseball is incredible harder.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:21 PM, JuliusO1274 said:

Moncada didn't have elite patience. His issue was that he was too patient. He would stare at tons of pitches whether they were strikes or balls.

Right.  Watching strike three go by isn't elite patience.  If anything, it's poor plate discipline.  He looks like a different guy out there.  Fun to watch.

• Like 1

As bitter and angry as I still am I do at least feel really proud of of Yoan and Tim this year. They are totally killing it. Hopefully they can continue on this path to give us something to salvage going into next year. 

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is the you I like.

This is the you that makes me crazy,

In one post you realize a baseball season is a marathon and not a sprint and in the 2nd one you're getting concerned over a 15 AB SSSS (seriously small sample size).

It's great we're all excited about the way he's hitting but adjustments from the pitchers will be forthcoming in the next 550 or so AB's of this season. Stay calm and be the you of the 1st post more often. When Konerko learned not too be too hard on himself he became a better player . As fans we could all learn to not be as hard on our team especially in light of the fact there's a lot of players coming and going during a rebuild. Criticism is warranted when players or management establishes a track record but all the SSSS BS is analyzing baseball like it's football and success at baseball is incredible harder.

Yeah it was a seriously small sample size but either way it is was too early to make any sort of grand conclusion. That being said, Moncada's 1st week was great, his 2nd was really bad and his 3rd is really good again. It's still too early for anything, but.....signs are there that this team could end up surprising. I don't see 75 wins as the ceiling for this team. I see like 68 as the floor, but I see the ceiling in the 81-83 win range. The pitching looks worse than it is because of an early season seriously small sample size. They got crushed by a couple of hot teams, but they're nowhere near that bad. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Not trying to say I told you so, but I would like to ask last year's Moncada haters why they refused to use the eye test regarding him. I could absolutely tell he was going to be very very good because of the eye test. Of course Eloy passes that same eye test. You just knew the umps were eventually going to give Moncada a break on those blatantly bad calls as he survived a season in which they obviously were testing him. I mean so many of those pitches were way out of the strike zone and yet they'd ring him up.

Eloy also obviously passes the eye test and Timmy does as well. Only problem with Timmy is he won't take a walk as we know and the law of averages of putting the ball in play that many more times eventually will bring his BA and OBP down to non spectacular levels.

I won't go through the list, but so many of our bad hitters do not pass the eye test.

Final observation: Any of you hate the shift on hitters as much as I do? Continuing to ruin the game for me.

Edited by greg775

How is defensive WAR calculated? I decided to look up Moncada's WAR numbers and noticed virtually every player on the team(including Moncada) are rated negatively in defensive WAR on Baseball Reference. The only 2 positive defensive WAR players are Engel and Sanchez. How the hell does Yolmer have a positive defensive WAR right now?