Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

9 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

How is defensive WAR calculated? I decided to look up Moncada's WAR numbers and noticed virtually every player on the team(including Moncada) are rated negatively in defensive WAR on Baseball Reference. The only 2 positive defensive WAR players are Engel and Sanchez. How the hell does Yolmer have a positive defensive WAR right now?

Believe they use UZR which takes forever (some say years) to give a useable sample.  The number you're seeing on the page next to moncada is his average of runs saved (or not) relative to the league I believe and then position adjusted to come up with WAR (could be wrong, it was hard to find just now). So Yolmer, even tho he's a lousy 2B so far, he gets more credit than say a RF who's just average.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's going to strike at a 20+% clip. If he hits .290 with 30 bombs and a .825+ OPS who cares? 

1) He's saying it positively and 2) I think we all better hope for the OPS to be much higher than .825

Edited by soxfan49

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I really hoped he could just get it down to 28% this year, to be sub 25% at this point is so fantastic.

We've finally found what it takes for Hahn to evaluate talent properly.  All we gotta do is trade for the consensus #1 prospect in baseball a few more times and we're golden.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

We've finally found what it takes for Hahn to evaluate talent properly.  All we gotta do is trade for the consensus #1 prospect in baseball a few more times and we're golden.

Thankfully we may have another one of those in a couple months. 

5 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Problem is he already gave up one of those for the broken down corpse of a formerly good starting pitcher.

13 hours ago, Harper2Sox said:

Problem is he already gave up one of those for the broken down corpse of a formerly good starting pitcher.

We get it that the trade makes you mad. We all know.  Time to move past it and stop dragging down conversation 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Yoan's BABIP is only 7 points higher than his career average.

Really good sign.

Yeah I've been saying this to those expecting major regression. James McCann and his ~.450 BABIP will regress, for example, but Moncada's contact profile indicates that he can maintain an elite, .340-.350 BABIP like Judge/Trout/Baez do. .290/.345/.515, Moncada's current line, is probably not far off from where he'll end the year assuming he doesn't endure an extremely prolonged slump or hot streak. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I wanted to see his krate get to at least 28% so if he can make it 25% legitimately I don't see why he can't reach all of the potential people saw in him.

He's not walking as much as people would like, but I think he has to be more aggressive to cut down on Ks. Either cut down on the Ks, or take more walks. Pick your poison. 

Moncada:

Last 15: .241/.297/.362 with 19/4 K/BB

Last 30: .250/.300/.425 with 38/8 K/BB

All numbers are from whitesox.com

I'm starting to get a little concerned that his numbers this year are incredibly inflated by the hot streak he was on in the first week of the season. Maybe he isn't as good this year as we thought he was. 

Edited by Jack Parkman