Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

32 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Not exactly, especially since Rodon will clearly never be a TOR guy for us. Take a look at the 4-5 starters in Cleveland's rotation, or the top guys in Houston's rotation, 1 elite pitcher is often not enough in this league. 

Or look at the brewers, sometimes zero elite pitchers is enough, plenty of ways to skin a cat

Edited by mqr

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Or look at the brewers, sometimes zero elite pitchers is enough, plenty of ways to skin a cat

Right now we're closer to developing elite starters than to developing a Brewers style elite bullpen, and since our starters ERA is the worst in baseball that's saying something. 

On 5/6/2019 at 8:32 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

24.7 K%, 134 wRC+. Season now 20% complete. Slumping a bit of late but if he did this across a full season he’s a 4 WAR player.

26.9 K%, 135 wRC+.

One week later and his strikeout rate jumped a bit but maintaining his wRC+ at a very nice level.

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

26.9 K%, 135 wRC+.

One week later and his strikeout rate jumped a bit but maintaining his wRC+ at a very nice level.

Basically the increase in home run rate negated the increase in strikeout rate. 

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Leads the team in OPS at 887 after his monster 3-4 2HR night. wRC+ of 135.  I would take that every year of his career for the next 7.

Yea that’d work...For reference, Harper and Machado are at 139 and 119 for their careers, respectively.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Leads the team in OPS at 887 after his monster 3-4 2HR night. wRC+ of 135.  I would take that every year of his career for the next 7.

McCann leads team in OPS doesn't he?

So I think we can all agree that Moncada's K rate seems to have improved to a much more acceptable level...

In game threads recently, I've seen a ton of people obsessing over where EXACTLY Yoan's K rate needs to be (25% vs. 27% vs. 29%)

I suppose my question is, although it was egregiously bad last season, why do people have such an opinion on where the K rate needs to be in that range?

Yes, 33% last year needed significant improvement.

Some very good offensive players have K rates well above 25%, for example:

Giancarlo Stanton: K rate of 28% with an OPS of .905

Aaron Judge has a K rate of 31% with an OPS of .962

Ryan Howard had a K rate of 28.2% with an OPS of .862

I know these are all home run hitting sluggers, but for me the only two metrics that matter are 1) WAR and 2) OPS. Yoan is having an all star year at both categories so far.

I'm really surprised to still see some skepticism about his abilities. Dude is STILL not quite 24.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg Hibbard said:

So I think we can all agree that Moncada's K rate seems to have improved to a much more acceptable level...

In game threads recently, I've seen a ton of people obsessing over where EXACTLY Yoan's K rate needs to be (25% vs. 27% vs. 29%)

I suppose my question is, although it was egregiously bad last season, why do people have such an opinion on where the K rate needs to be in that range?

Some very good offensive players have K rates well above 25%, for example:

Giancarlo Stanton: K rate of 28% with an OPS of .905

Aaron Judge has a K rate of 31% with an OPS of .962

Ryan Howard had a K rate of 28.2% with an OPS of .862

I know these are all home run hitting sluggers, but for me the only two metrics that matter are 1) WAR and 2) OPS. Yoan is having an all star year at both categories so far.

I'm really surprised to still see some skepticism about his abilities. Dude is STILL not quite 24.

A lot of the skepticism seems to be from people thinking he's in a slump. However over the past 2 weeks he is hitting .263/.349/.526 for an .875 OPS. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

A lot of the skepticism seems to be from people thinking he's in a slump. However over the past 2 weeks he is hitting .263/.349/.526 for an .875 OPS. 

Where almost 2 months into the year and he has an OPS over . 850. I said I'd be happy in the .790 to .810 range. It would take a pretty monumental collapse for this year to not be a marked improvement on last, where he was already an average player. 

6 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

He's faced some tough matchups and held his own.   Last night at 3B I thought he looked as natural as he has all season.  Not hesitating so much on his "plenty of time" pegs across and is looking more fluid.  Looks like the Sox have their 3B for the next 8 or so years.  Time to find some more good players.

15 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I'm not going to answer what the specific number needs to be, but I'm just going to point this part out. You say "Yes, 33% last year needed significant improvement".

Since May 1 his K-Rate is 32.9%.

Unless he's hitting HR at twice his current rate, we have already seen what will happen to his numbers when he's striking out at the rate he's doing right now. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm not going to answer what the specific number needs to be, but I'm just going to point this part out. You say "Yes, 33% last year needed significant improvement".

Since May 1 his K-Rate is 32.9%.

Unless he's hitting HR at twice his current rate, we have already seen what will happen to his numbers when he's striking out at the rate he's doing right now. 

Since May 11 his K rate is 27.2%.

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

So basically, you're both establishing that K-rate over a small sample is meaningless 

Which is why I went with the 80 PA K-rate in all of May in the previous post. Back in April people were saying that was a substantial enough data set to begin making interpretations based on it.