Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

It's obvious he, Eloy and Tim have panned out and will be stars. But we need 3 more starting pitchers, 2 more reliable relievers and many more reliable hitters to win another WS. Lot of work to do. Gonna have to spend a lotta money to go with a few of our prospects who are can't miss like Cease and Robert.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

last 28 days - 32% k rate, but .855 OPS. He's still at less than 29% for the year, but it's been climbing since April.

Weirdly, with his seasonal stats, I wonder if Alex Rios may end up being a good comp for Moncada...

Similar athletic profile but Rios never developed much power, topping out around 20 HR a  year.  You'd hope in his prime from 25-30 Moncada is closer to 30 than 20 a year.

4 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

last 28 days - 32% k rate, but .855 OPS. He's still at less than 29% for the year, but it's been climbing since April.

Weirdly, with his seasonal stats, I wonder if Alex Rios may end up being a good comp for Moncada...

Uh oh, @greg775 won't like that comp

6 minutes ago, Whitesox27 said:

Moncada is on pace to have a 5.3 WAR season. He has been really good.

Could be even higher, as he continues to get positive rankings for his defense as the season has gone on. We have our 3B. RF, 2B and C are the lineup's biggest holes. (long term) McCann could be a short term solution at C. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Could be even higher, as he continues to get positive rankings for his defense as the season has gone on. We have our 3B. RF, 2B and C are the lineup's biggest holes. (long term) McCann could be a short term solution at C. 

Agreed with a couple of things to add. 

• I think you can pay McCann nicely and shore up C for a short while.  
  • While we don't have one in the majors yet, 2B is probably Nick Madrigal's at some point.  He could bust but it's too early to tell.
  • RF is the tricky one.  If Eloy has to be in the outfield, it will be hard to hide poor defense in the outfield.

1 minute ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

Agreed with a couple of things to add. 

• I think you can pay McCann nicely and shore up C for a short while.  
  • While we don't have one in the majors yet, 2B is probably Nick Madrigal's at some point.  He could bust but it's too early to tell.
  • RF is the tricky one.  If Eloy has to be in the outfield, it will be hard to hide poor defense in the outfield.

I still believe in Madrigal. RF is the absolute huge hole right now. 2B isn't a long term hole, but a short term hole. I don't trust Collins at C. I have RF circled as the bugaboo. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I still believe in Madrigal. RF is the absolute huge hole right now. 2B isn't a long term hole, but a short term hole. I don't trust Collins at C. I have RF circled as the bugaboo. 

And, of course, all of this is pie in the sky.  We'll probably have to pay for at least two or three guys potentially, whether through $$$$ or trades.

4 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

And, of course, all of this is pie in the sky.  We'll probably have to pay for at least two or three guys potentially, whether through $$$$ or trades.

The only "pie in the sky" is assuming Eloy figures it out and Robert is a stud which I believe are safe assumptions. Madrigal is more iffy. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The only "pie in the sky" is assuming Eloy figures it out and Robert is a stud which I believe are safe assumptions. Madrigal is more iffy. 

Right now, I'd target Mitch Haniger as a long term RF solution. I think they can get him for less than a Robert/Madrigal/Cease. 

I'm not sure I want to buy a long term OFer unless they are elite. I may just want to see if juiced ball domingo santana gets a year of stuff and see what becomes available.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I'm not sure I want to buy a long term OFer unless they are elite. I may just want to see if juiced ball domingo santana gets a year of stuff and see what becomes available.

I didn't realize that Haniger was having as bad of a season as he is. Domingo Santana is someone I would have targeted this offseason after Avi wasn't brought back and I was semi-furious that the Sox didn't grab him when I saw what the Brewers traded him for . 

19 minutes ago, bmags said:

If you think Eloy is bad out there, wait until you see Domingo.  Unfortunately he's a DH.

30 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The positive is that no team has really good players at every position. Assuming Madrigal, Robert, Moncada, Eloy, Vaughn, Anderson and Collins/McCann pan out, they can afford to have ONE spot that isn't good or better. Perhaps RF can be a spot where a good fielder with an average bat can be placed.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Is he really that awful? 
Dammit. 

He has had numerous plays where the ball literally is in his glove and then he drops it.  He is nightly talk radio fodder here in Seattle.  Fangraphs has him a staggering -12 runs (that's Jose Abreu territory) after 60 games so far this year below a league average defender (including positional adjustments).

36 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He has had numerous plays where the ball literally is in his glove and then he drops it.  He is nightly talk radio fodder here in Seattle.  Fangraphs has him a staggering -12 runs (that's Jose Abreu territory) after 60 games so far this year below a league average defender (including positional adjustments).

That's why he's a stop gap. 

Just now, bmags said:

That's why he's a stop gap. 

He'd come cheap no doubt.  I bet if you offered the Mariners Rutherford straight up and asked for the Ms to cover the remaining 1 million he's owed this year they'd do it without hesitation.  I would too, at that price who cares.  He could possibly improve enough to be a 3 war player.  Only 26.  Would also have the benefit of pushing Yonder off the roster in theory.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

He'd come cheap no doubt.  I bet if you offered the Mariners Rutherford straight up and asked for the Ms to cover the remaining 1 million he's owed this year they'd do it without hesitation.  I would too, at that price who cares.  He could possibly improve enough to be a 3 war player.  Only 26.  Would also have the benefit of pushing Yonder off the roster in theory.

I don't even think he'd cost Rutherford. The most I'd offer is Adolfo, but they probably get him for less than that. He's a good stopgap until Rutherford/Gonzalez/Basabe play out. 

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Oh, dude, I wouldn't give anything like that for santana. If you don't get him at the right price you move on.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't even think he'd cost Rutherford. The most I'd offer is Adolfo, but they probably get him for less than that. He's a good stopgap until Rutherford/Gonzalez/Basabe play out. 

You don’t think he’d cost Rutherford so you’d offer them a better prospect instead?