Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

40 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I like Law. Too many people on the board tend to use him as an absolute authority though. If Law was an authority, he'd be in a front office somewhere. 

I have a love/hate relationship with Law in regards to his evaluations too, but he is very good.

1 hour ago, Jake said:

Not often discussed, but if you buy into Statcast's xwOBA, Tatis Jr. has been ludicrously lucky so far this year.

He's rocking a 447 BABIP.  ZIPS only projects him for .8 fWAR ROS.  They aren't convinced.  How about that juiced ball tho a guy that had never put up an ISO of over .240 in MiLB now at .248 in MLB.

As for Moncada I thought for sure he was going to catch that rocket down the line.   Just didn't quite have it.  Still a great night for him.  Hit that little squib for the single in a count he worked, that would have been a K looking most likely last year.  Putting more balls in play is something he had to do (especially with his speed to 1st) and he's done it.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

We were all hoping for some moderate improvements from Moncada this year, but I'm very pleasantly surprised at how much he has improved.  I do think that part of it is the move to 3rd.  Maybe he feels more comfortable there or just feels like it's a better fit.  Regardless, he's impressive at the plate.  The HR from the right yesterday was nice to see.  He's a very exciting player to watch.

On 6/20/2019 at 3:41 PM, mqr said:

Yeah, if there's a person I trust more in terms of player evals I'm blanking on them at the moment. 

Really?

I like Law, but he wouldn't be in my top 100 in regards to what you are citing. He's not an originator in this world; he's an applier and an evaulator and that is fine... but I trust plenty of people/numbers more than Keith Law. 

For a publicly accessible, "free," resource I'd say he is in the top 5ish but for readily available tools at your disposal if you're willing to pay, he doesn't even compare. 

On 6/20/2019 at 4:53 PM, mqr said:

Yeah if Jeff Sullivan has an FO job Law has definitely had more opportunities arise after the Jays. And this isn't a shot at Jeff.

Law is probably making a lot of money at ESPN; he would need a top tier position at an MLB team to not take a step back in salary. 

I respect Law, but I think you give him far too much credit. What has he originated from a talent evaluation standpoint? 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Really?

I like Law, but he wouldn't be in my top 100 in regards to what you are citing. He's not an originator in this world; he's an applier and an evaulator and that is fine... but I trust plenty of people/numbers more than Keith Law. 

For a publicly accessible, "free," resource I'd say he is in the top 5ish but for readily available tools at your disposal if you're willing to pay, he doesn't even compare. 

put your money where you mouth is and list these paid sources better than law.  FFS you do this all the time. 

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

put your money where you mouth is and list these paid sources better than law.  FFS you do this all the time. 

I'm not sure what you mean... 

Inside Edge, Chetu, driveline, and Trumedia. Are some data driven tools that are more intuitive, educational and better predictors when applied correctly. Obviously a lot of those tools require data driven backgrounds to apply it, which is why Keith is publically available and respected. 

There are many more beyond what I listed but that proprietary information/software is available to you at a cost and is certainly better and more reliable (when applied properly) than Keith Law. Obviously most people dont have the education or background to use/apply those tools which is fine.

Adding: SMT as my buddy swears by them but I have never seen or used the software.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm not sure what you mean... 

Inside Edge, Chetu, driveline, and Trumedia. Are some data driven tools that are more intuitive, educational and better predictors when applied correctly. Obviously a lot of those tools require data driven backgrounds to apply it, which is why Keith is publically available and respected. 

There are many more beyond what I listed but that proprietary information/software is available to you at a cost and is certainly better and more reliable (when applied properly) than Keith Law. Obviously most people dont have the education or background to use/apply those tools which is fine.

Adding: SMT as my buddy swears by them but I have never seen or used the software.

well there you go, thanks.

5 hours ago, Jake said:

Not often discussed, but if you buy into Statcast's xwOBA, Tatis Jr. has been ludicrously lucky so far this year.

Except there’s two things that number doesn’t take into account...his defensive abilities (especially range and arm) and his ability to impact the game on the basepaths.

He’s actually quite similar in so many ways to Javy Baez...minus the 3-4 years of swinging out of his shoes at every pitch that goes by.

(Ironically, taking Baez or Contreras away from the Cubs might be our best way to stop them, assuming they won’t be able to afford Bryant and Rizzo, too.)

He’s hit a ton of balls this year that missed being a homer by less than a foot or two...for example, one hit right off the new screen in RCF in Colorado that used to be a homer for the previous 25 years.   He also gets a lot of infield hits by pure speed and hustle, like Avisail Garcia two years ago.  You finally have to consider that PetCo was never a great hitter’s park and his age as well.

So, sure, there’s a lot of luck involved, but exit velocity and foot speed/hustle also tend to find a way to create more luck.   He’s not a 1.000 ops guy at age 21, but 825-850 is still going to have a huge impact for the reasons outlined above.

Edited by caulfield12

29 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

*Yoan Moncada thread, which is about a 3B with an .874 OPS and 2.5 fWAR with team control through 2023, casually becomes a Tatis Jr thread because Soxtalk*

AKA the Hahn Albatross.

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

*Yoan Moncada thread, which is about a 3B with an .874 OPS and 2.5 fWAR with team control through 2023, casually becomes a Tatis Jr thread because Soxtalk*

Why be happy when we can b****, right?

Honestly, if anyone under 1000 posts brings up Tatis off topic, they should instantly be banned.  

The Astros passed on Kris Bryant and they're fine.  Everyone needs to move the hell on.

Edited by Eloy Jiménez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 6/25/2019 at 7:07 PM, Eloy Jiménez said:

Why be happy when we can b****, right?

Honestly, if anyone under 1000 posts brings up Tatis off topic, they should instantly be banned.  

The Astros passed on Kris Bryant and they're fine.  Everyone needs to move the hell on.

I've moved on, but the screaming about it is going to be even worse when the Sox are winning. God forbid their WS opponent is the Padres. FFS, that would be a b****fest unlike any other. People love to complain. Look at the other side of town. They've had their most successful stretch in 80+ years and all of the Score callers are Blah Blah Quintana blah blah Jimenez blah blah. Can I get a Harumph out of you about the Q trade? Harumph. People Loooove to be miserable. 

Anyway about Moncada

24.6 K% for anyone who is wondering. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sox Fan In Husker Land said:

at the 1/2 way point of the 2019 season Yoan Moncada is on pace for a 5.6 fWAR season.

Very nice to see. Let's hope he continues to have a great year. The Sox rebuild is going nowhere if Moncada doesn't become a superstar. 

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that if Moncada was still on the Red Sox and was having the same type of year, he'd be an all star.

He'd be widely considered one of the best players in the game.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He'd be widely considered one of the best players in the game.  

To be fair, Devers is having a better season than Moncada and he's not there, but I think a lot of that has to do with Devers being in a top 5 lineup in baseball 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

To be fair, Devers is having a better season. 

Both have 2.8 fWAR.  Devers a little better offensively, Moncada definitely better defensively.  

Not sure what Devers has to do with Moncada though.  

17 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that if Moncada was still on the Red Sox and was having the same type of year, he'd be an all star.

Well considering the Red Sox have a 3B having a better year not in the All-Star game, as well as the single biggest all-star snub, I'm going to have to disagree with this. Third base is stacked, it is what it is. 

We might have the least deserving player in the game, it's hard to complain about representation when that is the case. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2