Buehrle>Wood

6 hours ago, fathom said:

You have a lot higher hopes for AJ Reed than most

4 hours ago, Richie said:

Well played, sir. Well played 

19 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Fathom has a sense of humor.

This is funny. 

Did anyone else besides the old timers get why I said "Where's our Mike Trout?" 

For those that don't know, I'm going to go into the wayback machine and send you the link. 

@Chisoxfn  Where in the hell is the "Where's our Liriano?" Thread???? How is that not in the SoxTalk classics section? C'mon, that was an all-timer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

What I'm most impressed with him is that he still strikes out a lot, but his batting average is  .308.

He cut down his k's 6% and his walks 3%, so he's putting an extra 9% of his at bat's in play. That's a huge deal for someone who hits the ball as hard as anyone. The trade off on walks was a smart play. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mqr said:

He cut down his k's 6% and his walks 3%, so he's putting an extra 9% of his at bat's in play. That's a huge deal for someone who hits the ball as hard as anyone. The trade off on walks was a smart play. 

Yea his xBABIP I believe is like 350-370 depending on what calculator you want to use so even if you regress his line down 20-30 points it's still a wRC+ around 130.  He hits the shit out of the ball and is one of the fastest guys to 1B in all of baseball.  Not a great baserunner but can bust it down the line.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yea his xBABIP I believe is like 350-370 depending on what calculator you want to use so even if you regress his line down 20-30 points it's still a wRC+ around 130.  He hits the shit out of the ball and is one of the fastest guys to 1B in all of baseball.  Not a great baserunner but can bust it down the line.

For these reasons and many others, it's reasonable to conclude that what he is doing is relatively sustainable. I have actually been pleasantly surprised by the lack of "but look at his BABIP, clearly he's just lucky" posts/narratives. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

For these reasons and many others, it's reasonable to conclude that what he is doing is relatively sustainable. I have actually been pleasantly surprised by the lack of "but look at his BABIP, clearly he's just lucky" posts/narratives. 

It is a smidge high, but he's on an absolutely tear so of course it looks that way. 

14 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I think the walks will go up once as he continues to entrench himself in this new approach. 

Me too. He's about to become an absolute monster. 

I think he has a chance to put up Trout numbers at his peak. 

Moncada vs. Robert is going to be an interesting debate when it is all said and done. They're both going to be among the top players in baseball when they reach FA, so it will be interesting which guy they decide to keep. If I were them, I'd keep Moncada and make the decision about a year from Robert's impending FA. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Worth noting, his K rate over his last 40 games is 27.8%, and it's going down in his more recent games again. 23.8% since June 1.

Sometime soon hopefully he starts to get some more respect from the umpires.  Sick and tired of seeing his eye for the zone better than the ump's on any given night.  Yoan will misjudge a ball up and down on occasion but if thinks a ball is off the corner inside or out it usually is.

38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Me too. He's about to become an absolute monster. 

I think he has a chance to put up Trout numbers at his peak. 

Moncada vs. Robert is going to be an interesting debate when it is all said and done. They're both going to be among the top players in baseball when they reach FA, so it will be interesting which guy they decide to keep. If I were them, I'd keep Moncada and make the decision about a year from Robert's impending FA. 

The Sox need to identify 3 hitters and 3 pitchers that they must have to win. They need to have money on deck for these 5 guys and trade the others before FA if they won't keep them, or let them walk if we are in a championship caliber season. Robert, Moncada, Madrigal Kopech, Free agent stud and Cease are the 6 guys I'd bank on for sure. If we can keep them, we can fill the roster as need be. Chances are, we'd be able to sign Rodon, Madrigal, and Eloy to good deals as they aren't complete players for various reasons. McCann won't have enough of a resume to warrant a monster deal either. The Good news is, we can make this roster work for 7 years beginning next season without getting rid of talent. We as fans will need to do our part if the team is on an Astros, Cubs, Dodgers type run to achieve a much higher payroll. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Sox need to identify 3 hitters and 3 pitchers that they must have to win. They need to have money on deck for these 5 guys and trade the others before FA if they won't keep them, or let them walk if we are in a championship caliber season. Robert, Moncada, Madrigal Kopech, Free agent stud and Cease are the 6 guys I'd bank on for sure. If we can keep them, we can fill the roster as need be. Chances are, we'd be able to sign Rodon, Madrigal, and Eloy to good deals as they aren't complete players for various reasons. McCann won't have enough of a resume to warrant a monster deal either. The Good news is, we can make this roster work for 7 years beginning next season without getting rid of talent. We as fans will need to do our part if the team is on an Astros, Cubs, Dodgers type run to achieve a much higher payroll. 

Looks like we've found some new stars.  Going to need to fill in the blanks with guys better than "scrubs" to have sustained success.  That didn't work last time.

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Looks like we've found some new stars.  Going to need to fill in the blanks with guys better than "scrubs" to have sustained success.  That didn't work last time.

FWIW, they appear to have a lot more talent to supplement than they did in 15-16.(or at the very least more evenly distributed talent) You can have bums but only a couple. There are probably going to be a lot fewer holes to fill with Melky Cabreras and Mat Latos's and James Shields's and JB Shucks and Jimmy Rollins's..you get the idea.

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, mqr said:

FWIW, they appear to have a lot more talent to supplement than they did in 15-16.(or at the very least more evenly distributed talent) You can have bums but only a couple. There are probably going to be a lot fewer holes to fill with Melky Cabreras and Mat Latos's and James Shields's and JB Shucks and Jimmy Rollins's..you get the idea.

One important part of the trick now - even if some of the guys who come up struggle, a big difference between let's say Melky Cabrera in 2015 spending 2.5 months unable to hit a ball more than 150 feet until he magically found something that allowed him to hit the ball farther again and the worst case scenario for Madrigal - the guys coming up won't be paid $13 million for the privilege. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The sustained success will be here as we have 7 years starting next year with these guys. After that it will take a Yankees payroll to keep everybody. A big 3 allows you to supplement your talent with good prospects in your pipeline, a few good players who want to stay for cheaper and win, and ring chasers on short term deals. Again, this won't be a problem until 2026 ends, so there will be sustained success unlike any point in our recent history. 

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Don't forget we don't need bums necessarily. We can get older ringer chasers on those one or two year deals at that time. 

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The money is there to do just exactly this.  

16 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Don't forget we don't need bums necessarily. We can get older ringer chasers on those one or two year deals at that time. 

Right, I'm just saying there is some room for error that didn't appear to be there 4 months ago.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Moncada doesnt get respect for what hes been doing this year. I think its unfair how everyone shit on him last year (when I say everyone, I mean nationally, not just here), but then ignore what a stud hes been. Kind of infuriating tbh

Yeah, it's frustrating.  He's having a very good year, and compared to last year he's having an amazing season.  Part of the lack of recognition is the jersey he wears.  

6 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, it's frustrating.  He's having a very good year, and compared to last year he's having an amazing season.  Part of the lack of recognition is the jersey he wears.  

Idk, Gio has been getting plenty of press. 

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

If he comes out of the break doing what he did going into it. It will be difficult for the national media to ignore.