Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Seriously?! I missed this. Thank you for posting. Probably the only tool that I've been disappointed in that he hasn't really shown in the two years he's been here (he's fine as a baserunner obviously, just not a game changing threat stealing bases like he should be).

I’d really like to see Moncada, Anderson, Robert, & Madrigal run like crazy next year.  Not many teams have four stolen base threats like that and we should use that weapon accordingly to be as disruptive as possible.

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d really like to see Moncada, Anderson, Robert, & Madrigal run like crazy next year.  Not many teams have four stolen base threats like that and we should use that weapon accordingly to be as disruptive as possible.

Agreed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

OMG you read my mind. All have the ability to steal 30+ bags. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SoxAce said:

Seriously?! I missed this. Thank you for posting. Probably the only tool that I've been disappointed in that he hasn't really shown in the two years he's been here (he's fine as a baserunner obviously, just not a game changing threat stealing bases like he should be).

https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-sox/2019/9/24/20882632/white-sox-yoan-moncada-plans-to-build-of-2019-success-i-still-know-that-i-can-do-more

“I still have room to improve in all the aspects of my game,” Moncada said. “But one area that I want to improve for next year is to be able to steal more bases.

‘‘That was an aspect of my game that I couldn’t totally explore this year. But I’m going to work hard at that, at being more aggressive on the bases, especially stealing bases, next season.”

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Kind of a fun exercise.  Only really looked at top 4 rounds...I think argument could be made for top 5.  Tough to beat Bellinger, Judge and Bryant though.  

1. Cory Bellinger (124)

2. Aaron Judge (32)

3. Kris Bryant (2)

4. Tim Anderson (17)

5. Austin Meadows (9)

6. Sean Manaea (34)

7. Hunter Dozier (8)

8. Marco Gonzalez (19)

9. Clint Frazier (5)

10. JP Crawford (16) /  Hunter Renfroe (13)

Insane that Bellinger was taken that low in the draft

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Man, am I the only one who doesn't care about stolen bases? It's like terrorism. If you have an air force, you don't employ car bombs. Likewise, if you can hit, you don't steal bases! In those four guys plus Eloy, we have five potential .300 hitters, at least three of whom will put up crushing power numbers. And look at Houston, NYY, and the Twins. Three best offenses in baseball, and they NEVER steal.

Let's use our speed so we don't play that annoying station-to-station ball of the late 2000s, where Dye and Thome and Konerko and AJ would advance one base no matter what. Let's go first to third constantly, let's always score from second on a single, and fuck it, let's score from first on singles like I swear Moncada did earlier this year. Let's stretch singles into doubles, and doubles into triples. But let's not get our guys unnecessarily injured by trying to swipe bags. Good offenses don't require it at all.

4 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Man, am I the only one who doesn't care about stolen bases? It's like terrorism. If you have an air force, you don't employ car bombs. Likewise, if you can hit, you don't steal bases! In those four guys plus Eloy, we have five potential .300 hitters, at least three of whom will put up crushing power numbers. And look at Houston, NYY, and the Twins. Three best offenses in baseball, and they NEVER steal.

Let's use our speed so we don't play that annoying station-to-station ball of the late 2000s, where Dye and Thome and Konerko and AJ would advance one base no matter what. Let's go first to third constantly, let's always score from second on a single, and fuck it, let's score from first on singles like I swear Moncada did earlier this year. Let's stretch singles into doubles, and doubles into triples. But let's not get our guys unnecessarily injured by trying to swipe bags. Good offenses don't require it at all.

I'm in the same boat. There's value in these guys' speed even if they aren't stealing.

• Thanks 2

Just FWIW, I went through each of Mallex Smith's 45 SBs this year, and I count 11 added runs. Meaning there were 11 times he would not have scored if he hadn't stolen a base. So a return of about 25%. I don't think that's real significant (say Moncada, Anderson, Robert, and Madrigal each swipe 30, and we add 30 runs for a total of .19 per game, and maybe the ROI is improved on a team with better overall offense), but your mileage may vary.

14 minutes ago, The Sir said:

Just FWIW, I went through each of Mallex Smith's 45 SBs this year, and I count 11 added runs. Meaning there were 11 times he would not have scored if he hadn't stolen a base. So a return of about 25%. I don't think that's real significant (say Moncada, Anderson, Robert, and Madrigal each swipe 30, and we add 30 runs for a total of .19 per game, and maybe the ROI is improved on a team with better overall offense), but your mileage may vary.

He was also caught stealing 8 times.  Makes you wonder how many times he would have scored on those 8 occasions if he hadn't attempted to steal.  Probably at least a couple, which have to be taken out from the 11 added.  So he attempted 53 stolen bases -- risking injury on 53 separate occasions -- to add fewer than 10 runs to his team's total.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

He was also caught stealing 8 times.  Makes you wonder how many times he would have scored on those 8 occasions if he hadn't attempted to steal.  Probably at least a couple, which have to be taken out from the 11 added.  So he attempted 53 stolen bases -- risking injury on 53 separate occasions -- to add fewer than 10 runs to his team's total.

Good point. I count two such instances. Three if you count one time that he ended a JP Crawford AB and then Crawford came up the next inning and smacked a double. So it's 53 attempts for a net gain of 8-9 runs. Pretty negligible, I think.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We don't need to steal a shitload of bases when the 3-4-5 is a murderer's row.  In fact, I'd imagine with a 900 OPS hitter at the plate anything less than a 85% steal success rate is a net loss.

Exactly. The lineup should be great. I don't want to take the bat out of anyone's hands plus risking possible injury hurting wrists and fingers sliding head first. Now depending on which speed guys are hitting 6, 7 in the lineup when you have a lesser hitter at the bottom (say McCann is in 9 spot and having a pre-2019 year for example), maybe you try steal.

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Exactly. The lineup should be great. I don't want to take the bat out of anyone's hands plus risking possible injury hurting wrists and fingers sliding head first. Now depending on which speed guys are hitting 6, 7 in the lineup when you have a lesser hitter at the bottom (say McCann is in 9 spot and having a pre-2019 year for example), maybe you try steal.

Given the injury risk to Moncada I really don't want him stealing a lot.  He's a 6 WAR true talent player.  Trying to steal 30 bags isn't worth the increased injury risk.  Let him rake, play a solid defensive 3B and run like the wind on hits into the gap while not pulling a hammy or jamming a finger.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Given the injury risk to Moncada I really don't want him stealing a lot.  He's a 6 WAR true talent player.  Trying to steal 30 bags isn't worth the increased injury risk.  Let him rake, play a solid defensive 3B and run like the wind on hits into the gap while not pulling a hammy or jamming a finger.

Yeah I'm perfectly fine with him being a great hitter in the 2 or 3 spot. And I don't really want the bat taken out of his hand if guys get caught stealing with 2 outs.

Edited by soxfan2014

The recent comments here make too much sense, which leads me to believe that Ricky will still be managing, they'll be attempting tons of SB's (because "we want to remain aggressive out there") while getting thrown out 32% of the time, and Moncada will be at some weird spot in the lineup (because "I need to break up the righties").  And bunting.  Ugh.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I hope he's the 2 hitter for next decade.  He's the perfect 2 hitter in so many ways.  Don't move him down whoever is the manager, please.

Yup. If not #2, no lower than #3 please. You put Moncada 2 or 3 and figure out the rest of the lineup.