Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

7 minutes ago, The Sir said:

We need to move Madrigal so we can continue to play Yolmer Sanchez. Duh.

That's soon to be gold glove winner Yolmer Sanchez.  Or at least that is what Steve Stone keeps telling us. 

Please let us move on from Yolmer's antics especially at the price he will be at next season.  I know that baseball is entertainment and I guess it was good that Yolmer brought some fun to this team over the last few years.  But it is time to move on.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The Mets have too many OF's and Conforto is not a former Van Weenie client.  

Of course they do. Stop yourself.   

No, they don't.  They aren't going to give up one of their best players while bordering a WC for Walker, Basabe, Adolfo etc.  And the Sox aren't going to trade away Madrigal.

31 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Why is Moncada's bWAR (4.1, the same as Tim's) and fWAR (5.4, 1.7 above Tim's 3.7) so strikingly different?

Does Fangraphs rate defense that much more!?

Not more just different. 

DRS isn't big on Moncada's defense, but UZR likes it.

The opposite is true of Anderson, not that either say he's been good. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mqr said:

Not more just different. 

DRS isn't big on Moncada's defense, but UZR likes it.

The opposite is true of Anderson, not that either say he's been good. 

They've both had great seasons.   Exciting stuff.  TA has to take the next step defensively tho.   Part of it is learning better habits this offseason.  Can't charge every ball off to the side and expect to throw accurately -- it's not needed most of the time.  Square, set, throw.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

3 hours ago, Tony said:

I'm not sure what the Sox will do with the FA pitchers on the market this season ( I hope they sign a few) but I feel strongly based on a number of things that the Sox will spend money in RF this offseason. 

1st and foremost the biggest obstacle will be signing a near legit ace and that's either Cole or Strasburg or at worst  Bumgarner and another higher end starter.

The Sox have so many needs like OBP, defense,versatilty ,power, depth, too many K's ,relief pitching, too right handed among starting pitchers and starting position players that outside of the starting pitching the Sox may have to spread the money around on guys like Holt, Kendrick, Gennett, Dickerson, Moustakas in order to provide a higher talent level, power, more LH hitters and 25 man depth. None of those guys should be too expensive but all help in significant areas and most are proven players who are not too old. Well Kendrick is getting up there but had a really good year and isn't LH and doesn't walk much and no one should expect him to hit .345.

Of course Grandal is also an option but he'd probably be the most expensive contract behind the starting pitchers.

Now that's a lot of free agents to be signed and I haven't even looked at relief pitching which maybe Rondon or Dunning can help in the 2nd half.

But without some high end starters the Sox won't be making the playoffs in 2020 but the talent level/depth still needs a serious upgrade.

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27691514/meet-class-2019-mlb-players-graduated-stardom

Two White Sox on this list, bud oddly enough their best player is not one of them (Yoan). Wonder what their justification is for that.

I thought it was going to be Moncada not Anderson. Moncada and Giolito were the two best Sox this year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

28 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Gio is awesome, but I'd take Yoan Moncada ahead of every other person listed in that article.

I'd give Tatis and Torres a look but other than that not a soul on here I'd rather have

Edited by mqr

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'd give Tatis and Torres a look but other than that not a soul on here I'd rather have

For the reason being his back injury, I would take Moncada over Tatis.

I'll take Yoan, over Gleybar, because he switch hits.

Can't go wrong with any of them though, that's for sure.

Just listened to the latest Statcast podcast and they had a segment about Anderson and Moncada and their BABIPs. Mentioned that they were among the highest in the history of the game (both at .403 coming into today) but then took a look at their expected BABIP based on Statcast and Anderson came out to .355 while Moncada was at .386. Said that Moncada could have the ability to sustain very high BABIPs going forward because he hits the ball so damn hard, is very fast and sprays the ball all over the field so he's impossible to shift.

40 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Just listened to the latest Statcast podcast and they had a segment about Anderson and Moncada and their BABIPs. Mentioned that they were among the highest in the history of the game (both at .403 coming into today) but then took a look at their expected BABIP based on Statcast and Anderson came out to .355 while Moncada was at .386. Said that Moncada could have the ability to sustain very high BABIPs going forward because he hits the ball so damn hard, is very fast and sprays the ball all over the field so he's impossible to shift.

I ran Moncada's numbers and batted balls stats through various xBABIP calculators and came to the same conclusion a few pages back in this thread.  His combo of speed and quality of contact is perhaps unrivaled in today's MLB and I'd expect his BABIP to remain high throughout his career, at least until he's in his 30s.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He finishes tied for 15th in fWAR at 5.7 and tied for 13th in wRC+ at 141.  

Here's a staggering note: He finished with a higher wRC+ (141; 139) than JD Martinez.  Moncada is a superstar.  Enjoy his next 4+ years in Chicago.

This is why it is important to start competing next year. We can take it for granted that he will be here long term. As it stands, we have until 2023 to win with his talents. 

52 minutes ago, hi8is said:

One of my offseason hopes is Hahn agrees with Moncada on a 6 year extension, keeping him in Chicago until 2029.

I don't think that it is crazy that Moncada and Giolito agree to extensions this winter. It's going to take a little more than Bregman's money IMO. Something like 6/130. He's 24 so he'll hit the market at 30 which is still young enough to get paid a lot of money. He'd probably make about the same amount of money taking that deal and hitting the FA market at 30 as he would through arbitration and hitting FA at 28. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

Moncada will no doubt re-set Harper's and Trout's records when he hits FA.  Why would he sign an extension now?  He'll get plenty during his arb years with Sox.

I wish I had a crystal ball showing his productivity with Sox in next 3-4 years, whichever it is.  I bet he gets at least one batting title and some really big time OPS numbers.