Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Back in April I suggested the Sox offer him a 10/$200M extension effective starting 2019 season. I’m no longer confident he would accept such an offer.

It would be extremely tempting. Players are not invulnerable to injuries that threaten their careers. There's already a bunch of peeps around here who call Moncada soft. A bird in the hand my friend.

50 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It would be extremely tempting. Players are not invulnerable to injuries that threaten their careers. There's already a bunch of peeps around here who call Moncada soft. A bird in the hand my friend.

Moncada is without a doubt soft. Love the dude. But he acts like he’s seriously hurt 2-3 times a month. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a star - he can and already is in my mind. But I don’t think he’s going to be a guy that plays 155+ games more than a couple times in his career. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's definitely soft, but that won't deter me from giving him what he wants.

• 9 months later...
On 6/19/2018 at 7:18 AM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

But he’s not near 40%, he’s just under 35% for his career. Someone mentioned Judge but Kris Bryant is another example of a guy that struck out >30% in his first 500 plate appearances. Like Judge, he’s not just a perennial all star, he’s a perennial MVP. Also worth noting Bryant was 23 during his rookie year and Judge was 25. Moncada just turned 23. Far too early to write this kid off. He still has perennial all star ability.

Tlongo still around these parts? Miss the days (two years ago) when he would argue about how much of a bust Moncada was. Should have extended this guy early last year when the number to do so was still reasonable.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Tlongo still around these parts? Miss the days (two years ago) when he would argue about how much of a bust Moncada was. Should have extended this guy early last year when the number to do so was still reasonable.

Moncada?  You don’t think his extension is reasonable?

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

At the start of last year I suggested 10/$200. I highly doubt that gets it done now. Just looking at what guys like Machado, Betts, Harper, Rendon, etc are getting. 

Maybe I’m missing something, but you do know we already extended him right?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/03/white-sox-extend-yoan-moncada.html

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but you do know we already extended him right?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/03/white-sox-extend-yoan-moncada.html

Yea for a couple years only but I wanted him to be a lifelong Sox player extended well beyond 2025. He’s going to be near impossible to extend beyond 2025 at this rate. Yes, he will be 30 but Anthony Rendon was 30 this past offseason and inked $245M.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s fantastic they locked up most of the core thru 2025 but I guess I’m greedy and wanted to see Moncada, Robert, and Eloy all together thru 2027 at least. I guess it’s still possible but I’d say unlikely at this point. Just sucks to have this weird year this year, with next year possibly being just as weird and then the potential CBA issues after that. Worried it’s going to take a big bite into what should be great seasons from our Sox and greatly condense the window.

I agree the deal you suggested would have been preferable, but it could be Moncada didn't want to sign past '25. Hopefully he'll still be in the latter part of his prime at that point. This way he gets a nice deal in the mean time while setting himself up for another long term deal to carry him through the last half of his career. Can't blame if that were the case. Sox might be in a position to re-sign him if the next six years go the way we hope anyway.

Edited by Vulture

15 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I am. That’s why I want it to last as long as possible.

Then why even worry about it? The Sox are the only team in all of MLB that even has this type of talent locked up for the next 4+ years. 

And nobody can predict the future. MLB could reach a new CBA now then have their labor war in 2026-2027. Another, even worse pandemic could wipe out baseball in the future. Who knows.

Nobody here thought Moncada would sign an extension that wasn't an absurd amount anyways

6 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Then why even worry about it? The Sox are the only team in all of MLB that even has this type of talent locked up for the next 4+ years. 

And nobody can predict the future. MLB could reach a new CBA now then have their labor war in 2026-2027. Another, even worse pandemic could wipe out baseball in the future. Who knows.

Nobody here thought Moncada would sign an extension that wasn't an absurd amount anyways

I’m enjoying the moment and super pumped for the next 6 years of White Sox baseball. Like I said, I’m really hoping Moncada, Robert, and Eloy are lifelong Sox players (or into their early 30s at least) but I recognize that’s probably not realistic either.