Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

10 minutes ago, mqr said:

There are 15 players in all of baseball with a better fWAR than Moncada, 7 of them are third basemen lol. 

3B is stacked throughout baseball. It blows that his best position ended up being 3B, but it is what it is. The Sox had a huge hole there organizationally and they filled it with an awesome player. 

If Moncada and Devers are roughly equal offensive players moving forward, Moncada will always be overshadowed by Devers because Devers plays in Boston. Moncada>>Devers defensively, but it isn't like that will matter much to the national pundits. Devers is also 2 years younger than Moncada and it is questionable how long Devers is going to be able to stick at 3B, while Moncada will probably stick at 3B his whole career. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

3B is stacked throughout baseball. It blows that his best position ended up being 3B, but it is what it is. The Sox had a huge hole there organizationally and they filled it with an awesome player. 

The only guys I'd take over him moving forward are maybe Chapman and Bregman though. 

Bryant, Arenado and Rendon are about to get expensive and/or old and Devers is a ham sandwich away from not being a 3B.

I'd take Chapman over 99.9 percent of baseball though. 

1 minute ago, mqr said:

The only guys I'd take over him moving forward are maybe Chapman and Bregman though. 

Bryant, Arenado and Rendon are about to get expensive and/or old and Devers is a ham sandwich away from not being a 3B.

100% agreed. Moncada's prime should allow him to be a top 3 3B in the game. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Moncada and Devers are roughly equal offensive players moving forward, Moncada will always be overshadowed by Devers because Devers plays in Boston. Moncada>>Devers defensively, but it isn't like that will matter much to the national pundits. Devers is also 2 years younger than Moncada and it is questionable how long Devers is going to be able to stick at 3B, while Moncada will probably stick at 3B his whole career. 

I wouldn't say it sucks that his best position is third. That is a tough position to fill with a great player. We didn't need him at second anymore because we have Madrigal. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I wouldn't say it sucks that his best position is third. That is a tough position to fill with a great player. We didn't need him at second anymore because we have Madrigal. 

He'd get incredible attention if he was a 2B. I think it is actually a good thing, what I meant is that it sucks that there are so many more established 3B that are awesome that overshadow how good of a season he's having. If Moncada was having the same season at 2B he'd have been an all star. He's the victim of a numbers game. For the Sox, once they struck out on Machado, 3B was a huge hole organizationally and they filled it in the best way possible. 

however: 

Moncada: .308/.364/.908

Machado: .266/.339/.828

It worked out just fine. The only question is how much PetCo is depressing Machado's numbers vs. what they would be at GRF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I would say, looking at the league, it's the easiest spot to fill with a great player. But getting a great player in general is hard as hell, so that's not really relevant. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He'd get incredible attention if he was a 2B. I think it is actually a good thing, what I meant is that it sucks that there are so many more established 3B that are awesome that overshadow how good of a season he's having. If Moncada was having the same season at 2B he'd have been an all star. He's the victim of a numbers game. For the Sox, once they struck out on Machado, 3B was a huge hole organizationally and they filled it in the best way possible. 

however: 

It worked out just fine. The only question is how much PetCo is depressing Machado's numbers vs. what they would be at GRF. 

He will get incredible attention when we start to win games. He is turning the corner now and is getting more and more coverage by the week, as we win more games. He was listed as an all-star snub, so he's getting there. 

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

I would say, looking at the league, it's the easiest spot to fill with a great player. But getting a great player in general is hard as hell, so that's not really relevant. 

Not applicable to us because we also have a really good prospect at second. If we didn't have Magical, then he would have probably stayed at second. 

48 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

however: 

His OPS and OPS+ are basically right in line with his career numbers.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not sure that is a gimme. Devers numbers across the board are higher but mainly he puts the ball in play more w a 16% SO rate.  I am not sure either will end up  .300 hitter but both have had outstanding June production. 

Devers supposedly has improved defensively but Yoan is better even w less game experience.  

23 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Not sure that is a gimme. Devers numbers across the board are higher but mainly he puts the ball in play more w a 16% SO rate.  I am not sure either will end up  .300 hitter but both have had outstanding June production. 

Devers supposedly has improved defensively but Yoan is better even w less game experience.  

I like'em both but Devers just has the look of a guy that is going to be a 1B in a few years.  That said, Devers' hit tool is among the best in baseball.  Yoan has more power and speed but Devers is just a pure hitter.  You couldn't go wrong starting a franchise with either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mqr said:

Man you're like obsessed with Chapman, aren't you?

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Since June 1st two players have dominated the league to the tune of a wRC+ of 198.  Those two players?  One is Mike Trout.  The other is Yoan Moncada.

It's incredibly annoying how good Trout is honestly lol

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

But the good news? Moncada is doing Trout things. 

Where's our Mike Trout?

Next year at this time we should have a player with all star potential playing at every position.  Never before saw that on any White Sox team.

Edited by poppysox

45 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Since June 1st two players have dominated the league to the tune of a wRC+ of 198.  Those two players?  One is Mike Trout.  The other is Yoan Moncada.

Nice. Moncada's last 40 games .340/.390/.607, .997 OPS, 162 wRC+ 9 HR, 2 3B, 9 2B.

Edited by Sox Fan In Husker Land
  • Love 2