Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Even then Robert was stealing bases in A and AA. It should be an exciting next 5 years, at least offensively, with the speed of Moncada, Robert, Anderson and Madrigal.

Speed wins many games IMO.

16 hours ago, oldsox said:

Have Sox put the brakes on Moncada, or is it just my imagination?

There have been sporadic reports about his knee bothering him, so I suspect they're trying to limit how much he's running.

As far as trying to offer Moncada a long term contract...I know the argument is that he already got big money when he signed with the other Sox.  However, might he not be interested in being further set for life with a team that he is very comfortable with and has a nice future with a young core?  I don't think that every player yearns for free agency.  As it was said by someone on another thread, if Mike Trout can be extended, anyone can.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

As far as trying to offer Moncada a long term contract...I know the argument is that he already got big money when he signed with the other Sox.  However, might he not be interested in being further set for life with a team that he is very comfortable with and has a nice future with a young core?  I don't think that every player yearns for free agency.  As it was said by someone on another thread, if Mike Trout can be extended, anyone can.

If I'm a player, I don't sign anything until the next CBA.  He's already set for life.  If rules regarding service time change for active players, there will be gobs of money flying around to sign these guys.

Edited by Eloy Jiménez

7 minutes ago, Eloy Jiménez said:

If I'm a player, I don't sign anything until the next CBA.  He's already set for life.  If rules regarding service time change for active players, there will be gobs of money flying around to sign these guys.

Very fair point.  Thanks Eloy.

My main point about the whole already set for life argument is that some people who are already set for life might rather sign a nice extension with a team they are already comfortable with rather than go through the process of free agency.  Living up to a big contract can be easier in a city that already loves you rather than a new city like say....Philadelphia.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wegner said:

Very fair point.  Thanks Eloy.

My main point about the whole already set for life argument is that some people who are already set for life might rather sign a nice extension with a team they are already comfortable with rather than go through the process of free agency.  Living up to a big contract can be easier in a city that already loves you rather than a new city like say....Philadelphia.  Just my opinion.

They also speed the process of getting to the ML's.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-trade-value-11-to-20/

Came in as the #18 most valuable asset in baseball according to FG. Eloy and TA were both honorable mentions

Robert almost has to be in top 10 then right??? How does he not make this list of "prospects" in the HM article.

Prospects

Royce Lewis, SS, Twins
Jo Adell, RF, Angels
Bo Bichette, SS, Blue Jays
Forrest Whitley, RHP, Astros
Mackenzie Gore, LHP, Padres
Adley Rutschman, C, Orioles
Keston Hiura, 2B, Brewers
Dustin May, RHP, Dodgers
Casey Mize, RHP, Tigers
Gavin Lux, 2B, Dodgers
Brendan McKay, LHP, Rays
Yordan Alvarez, DH, Astros

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Robert almost has to be in top 10 then right??? How does he not make this list of "prospects" in the HM article.

Well considering the following guys still have yet to be named, I'd say no. Not really sure how he hadn't ended up on the prospect listing though. I didn't think Moncada would be so high tbh. 

Acuña

Bellinger

Soto

Albies

Bregman

Tatis Jr

Vlad Jr

Chapman

Trout

Yelich

Edited by mqr

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

Well considering the following guys still have yet to be named, I'd say no. Not really sure how he hadn't ended up on the prospect listing though. I didn't think Moncada would be so high tbh. 

Acuña

Bellinger

Soto

Albies

Bregman

Tatis Jr

Vlad Jr

Chapman

Trout

Yelich

No way Chapman makes the top 10 with an opt out after this season.  The other 9 I would imagine are on it.  

I still cannot believe that contract Albies signed.  Good lord. 

Edited by ChiSox59

13 minutes ago, mqr said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-trade-value-11-to-20/

Came in as the #18 most valuable asset in baseball according to FG. Eloy and TA were both honorable mentions

Very impressive company. Not that I’m advocating it but the Sox could bring back a Sale, Eaton, or Quintana-like haul in a trade of Moncada this winter.

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

Giolito and Kopech were also in the honorable mention column.

Shocked by the exclusion of Robert.

Eric and Kiley seem to be perfectly content on being the low man on Robert. They still don't have him in their top 20 prospects and only Wander Franco is in the top 50 among prospects.

1 minute ago, TomPickle said:

Eric and Kiley seem to be perfectly content on being the low man on Robert. They still don't have him in their top 20 prospects and only Wander Franco is in the top 50 among prospects.

For sure. And to be clear, I Wasn't expecting  Robert in the top 50 list. Given the prospects named in the honorable mention though, Robert belongs.

• 1 month later...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-quiet-breakout/

Nothing we didn't already know, but Yoan (rate wise) has been one of the 10 best position players in MLB baseball and he's still a kid. His ceiling is a consistent top 5 talent in all of baseball.

One excerpt since so many people are concerned about his base running value with the lack of steals:

"The only players with a higher BsR and wRC+ than Moncada this season are Mike Trout and Christian Yelich"

You get more baserunning value from taking extra bases and etc than you do for stealing bags.

Also, one other interesting nugget is that Yoan Moncada is the third best hitter in all of baseball when he makes contact.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-quiet-breakout/

Nothing we didn't already know, but Yoan (rate wise) has been one of the 10 best position players in MLB baseball and he's still a kid. His ceiling is a consistent top 5 talent in all of baseball.

One excerpt since so many people are concerned about his base running value with the lack of steals:

"The only players with a higher BsR and wRC+ than Moncada this season are Mike Trout and Christian Yelich"

You get more baserunning value from taking extra bases and etc than you do for stealing bags.

Also, one other interesting nugget is that Yoan Moncada is the third best hitter in all of baseball when he makes contact.

Really don't get the hub bub about him not stealing more bases. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 12:12 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Very impressive company. Not that I’m advocating it but the Sox could bring back a Sale, Eaton, or Quintana-like haul in a trade of Moncada this winter.

Glad u are not advocating this. There's no reason to get rid of players acquired during the tank years. You see the rebuild/tank job to fruition. Time to spend a lotta money on surplus free agents pitchers.

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He turns 25 next late May so yes he's just a kid. Years 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 are the years he's expected to earn his keep. His keep is helping us reach the WS in 3 of  those 5 years and winning it twice or 3 times. After that he figures to be on the decline list as far as traditional baseball goes. Unless advanced metrics changes by then and like Greg, starts to value older players. GO SOX! Tip of the cap to those of us on the board who never blasted Moncada during some of his struggles (mostly caused by the homeplate umps) last year. Some people bagged on Moncada if they'd go back and look.

4 hours ago, mqr said:

Really don't get the hub bub about him not stealing more bases. 

If people are honest, I think it has more to do with wanting to brag about 30/30 players than concern over his value as a player. 

Though I admit, I would love to brag about having a (or multiple?) 30/30 player