6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

But I stand by my statement that because he acquired such studs he's going to work as long as he wants in baseball front office(s) even if the team never hits .500 under his watch. You acquire players like that ... wow.

Hahn was approached by a minimum of 3 teams to interview for their GM openings when he was assistant to KW.  He is somewhat under appreciated on this forum but the baseball world respects him.  I'm with you in that he has made some really smart moves in both trades and extensions.  He has had some missteps like everyone in that line of work.  

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

Hahn was approached by a minimum of 3 teams to interview for their GM openings when he was assistant to KW.  He is somewhat under appreciated on this forum but the baseball world respects him.  I'm with you in that he has made some really smart moves in both trades and extensions.  He has had some missteps like everyone in that line of work.  

Correct.  And I think he was directed to “compete” his first few years but of course there wasn’t enough money to supplement 3 core players

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

His season has convinced me this is a good idea.

The problem right now is that in the eyes of JR, this would be "breaking new ground" as no one has ever really signed a deal like that, and that's one thing this franchise won't do. What we really need is for someone else (Soto?) to sign a comparable deal such that this becomes a deal someone has done before. Suddenly then it's not JR reshaping the market. 

And had anyone signed an extension the size of Eloy’s before playing a single game in the majors?  JR basically broke new ground with that deal.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

His season has convinced me this is a good idea.

The problem right now is that in the eyes of JR, this would be "breaking new ground" as no one has ever really signed a deal like that, and that's one thing this franchise won't do. What we really need is for someone else (Soto?) to sign a comparable deal such that this becomes a deal someone has done before. Suddenly then it's not JR reshaping the market. 

Didn't the White Sox reshape the market with Eloy's contract this past offseason?

44 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And had anyone signed an extension the size of Eloy’s before playing a single game in the majors?  JR basically broke new ground with that deal.

Jon Singleton was the only guy, but Eloy was three times the prospect (and three times the money lol).

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Moncada signed an extension. He doesn't have to for reasons people have spelled out already. But I'd suspect he is comfortable here with his fellow Cubans and the organization as a whole. That would be a huge step in the right direction if they could lock him up and nab some free agent season(s) with that deal.

2 hours ago, nickofypres said:

Not sure if posted, but by fangraphs WAR (fWAR), Moncada is the best baseball positional player in Chicago. 

The eye test shows the same result.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sarava said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Moncada signed an extension. He doesn't have to for reasons people have spelled out already. But I'd suspect he is comfortable here with his fellow Cubans and the organization as a whole. That would be a huge step in the right direction if they could lock him up and nab some free agent season(s) with that deal.

Does that include the bullpen?  And losing 95-100 times a year?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sarava said:

Being with countrymen is how the Chicago neighborhoods developed.  I think there is an excellent chance Moncada stays because of comfort being with countrymen.