Jump to content

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

 

So Moncada and Abreu right up there and 3 guys I was salivating over this offseason Moustakas, Ohtani and JD Martinez in the list and Yelich who the Sox supposedly went after but lost out to the Brewers on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/yo-yo-and-big-elephant-now-show-south-side-fans-have-been-waiting

Yo-Yo and The Big Elephant (Abreu)

Not to be confused with BJ and the Bear.

I saw that comment on the "Big Elephant" on whitesox.com  I wonder if he was messing with Areu because of Abreu giving him a little grief about not getting the cycle.

 

Would be really funny if he just made that up to screw with Abreu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:
 

 

Dude has a 485' homerun?  Damn...doesn't look like he has it in him, surprising power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So Moncada and Abreu right up there and 3 guys I was salivating over this offseason Moustakas, Ohtani and JD Martinez in the list and Yelich who the Sox supposedly went after but lost out to the Brewers on.

The Sox went after Yelich?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

 

Oh, that's what he meant. The way the post was written, I thought he meant we were the 2nd best offer or something. 

Edited by Jose Abreu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

 

We've been talking about Moncada's exit velocity so much that I feel like Abreu being third on that list is kind of being lost in the shuffle. Hell he's batting .308/.372/.577 and he's actually been very unlucky according to his xwOBA. He's been a complete monster this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

We've been talking about Moncada's exit velocity so much that I feel like Abreu being third on that list is kind of being lost in the shuffle. Hell he's batting .308/.372/.577 and he's actually been very unlucky according to his xwOBA. He's been a complete monster this year.

And apparently Welington Castillo is pretty darn good too at exit velocity right now too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

We've been talking about Moncada's exit velocity so much that I feel like Abreu being third on that list is kind of being lost in the shuffle. Hell he's batting .308/.372/.577 and he's actually been very unlucky according to his xwOBA. He's been a complete monster this year.

Realistically, this might be the best start to an Abreu season that we have seen.  He is almost always terrible in April, and then gets rolling when it warms up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OmarComing25 said:

We've been talking about Moncada's exit velocity so much that I feel like Abreu being third on that list is kind of being lost in the shuffle. Hell he's batting .308/.372/.577 and he's actually been very unlucky according to his xwOBA. He's been a complete monster this year.

Is it safe to say he's been figured out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Realistically, this might be the best start to an Abreu season that we have seen.  He is almost always terrible in April, and then gets rolling when it warms up.

I won't look at all the stats, but Abreu is quietly putting up what has to be one of the best five-year stretches in Sox history. .317, 36, 107; .290, 30, 101; .293, 25, 100; .304, 33, 102; and .308, 6, 12 so far this year. Knock on wood for this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://twitter.com/TJHannam10/status/988602738740219904

It's obvious Yoan has a very powerful, compact swing.  I've long touted it as basically a carbon copy of Robbie Cano, at least young Cano.  This has been bore out in the exit velocity stats coming off his bat.  It's a short, violent swing.

His problem on 94+ heat imo is that he cheats to recognize changeups and breaking stuff, especially deep in the count, because before MLB his swing was so damn good it didn't matter if he wasn't looking fastball he could catch up to it.

Probably in AAA he got challenged some this way but not like he does in MLB, especially late innning with the power relievers.

He's sporting a  14% walk rate and a K% of 38%.  A wRC+ of 133.  1.1 fWAR.  He's probably good now, not just in the future.  Yea he's going to struggle to hit above 250 this year but with his talent all over the diamond and that power and eye it really doesn't matter much for now.  As he matures, you'd expect his hit tool to improve.  If it does, look out.  He'll be one of the top 10 players in MLB.  

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

So yeah I'll admit I just had to look up what a Franchy Cordero was. 

You should've seen the dinger he hit against the Dbacks last week....good lord.  Hit the right speaker on the scoreboard there.  Not sure if you're familiar with Chase Field...but damn...it was impressive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Tim Anderson, for screwing up Yoan's defensive ratings, lol...

I'm starting to buy into Benetti and Stone's "team error" concept.  Anderson (wrongly) cut across in front of Moncada's path and screened him and it ended up allowing Vogelbach to be safe at first to load the bases, but the error went to Yoan when he was really the only one in a good position to make the play...but is the one who actually "touched" the ball, so the physical error goes to him (instead of mental error to Anderson.)

Communication.  Youth.  Teamwork.  Hopefully it will all come together in time.

Edited by caulfield12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2018 at 1:17 PM, tlongo81@gmail.com said:
QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 12:19 PM)
Albies has a 1.5% BB rate to go with a 16.4% K rate. His offense is being fueled by some flukey power numbers. I’ll happily take Moncada and his swing & miss issues over Albies any day of the week. Development is not linear and I would expect Albies’ game to translate quicker to the pros than Yoan’s. And I say that as an Albies fan.

 

LMAO. Moncada has a career 35% strike out rate. He will be out of baseball in a couple years if he can't lower that number.

 

Albies has already put up 2.3 WAR in his career. Moncada is at 1.5. However, Albies is almost 2 years younger than Moncada!!!!

 

No one said development is linear but Albies already looks at home in the big leagues wheras Moncada is a negative war player so far in 08.

 

You might happily take Moncada over Albies but I'm pretty sure Hahn would get told to get lost if he proposed a straight up trade of the two.

I have a feeling this post will look quite silly by season’s end. The Albies train is already running out of steam. fWAR down to 0.8 for the season compared to Moncada’s 1.1 and it’s still April...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I have a feeling this post will look quite silly by season’s end. The Albies train is already running out of steam. fWAR down to 0.8 for the season compared to Moncada’s 1.1 and it’s still April...

Albies is a hell of a player, but we’re seeing first-hand why Moncada was considered a generational talent by many evaluators.  It’s obviously going to take some time for it all to come together (it’s already starting to), but no sane GM would take Albies over Yoan simply because of a slow start.  And to think he’d potentially be out of the game of baseball because of a high K rate is simply ludicrous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Albies is a hell of a player, but we’re seeing first-hand why Moncada was considered a generational talent by many evaluators.  It’s obviously going to take some time for it all to come together (it’s already starting to), but no sane GM would take Albies over Yoan simply because of a slow start.  And to think he’d potentially be out of the game of baseball because of a high K rate is simply ludicrous.

Not if he can put up 8 fWAR with a nearly 40% K rate. Once he cuts that down (and I think he will, significantly), the sky is the limit for what he'll be able to do on a baseball field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

Not if he can put up 8 fWAR with a nearly 40% K rate. Once he cuts that down (and I think he will, significantly), the sky is the limit for what he'll be able to do on a baseball field.

"IF" he cuts down the strikeout rate to the 25% range, he's an MVP candidate more than likely. He'd basically be Jose Altuve at the plate (lower batting average but comparable OBP, SLG, OPS) with far superior defense and baserunning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

"IF" he cuts down the strikeout rate to the 25% range, he's an MVP candidate more than likely. He'd basically be Jose Altuve at the plate (lower batting average but comparable OBP, SLG, OPS) with far superior defense and baserunning.

Don't know about Altuve, but closer to Brian Dozier's stat line with the lower average in there.  Either way, I'll take it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×