Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

2 hours ago, Jake said:

These same stats have pretty consistently ranked Semien below average and worse throughout his career at SS, so I would treat what he has so far this season as a blip in the same way that bad hitters occasionally have good hitting statistics for a while.

Yeah, I assumed it was a sample size issue. I just found it odd that Caulfield would even reference it, but it is Caulfield, so it probably wouldn't make much sense. Semien's defense will put him out of the league. Not only is he limited, he's also developed the "yips." 

58 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Yeah, I assumed it was a sample size issue. I just found it odd that Caulfield would even reference it, but it is Caulfield, so it probably wouldn't make much sense. Semien's defense will put him out of the league. Not only is he limited, he's also developed the "yips." 

Then why also use it to assess Moncada’s defensive improvement so far, compared to last year?

It’s only applicable when we selectively want it to be?  Dickerson is also not known to be a very good defender...it’s partially why he ended up being let go of by the Rays.

Perhaps we shouldn’t look at any statistics until the 54 or 60 game mark, but what would be the fun in that?  Besides, Ozzie Albies might no longer be a first ballot Hall of Famer at that time.

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Then why also use it to assess Moncada’s defensive improvement so far, compared to last year?

It’s only applicable when we selectively want it to be?  Dickerson is also not known to be a very good defender...it’s partially why he ended up being let go of by the Rays.

Perhaps we shouldn’t look at any statistics until the 54 or 60 game mark, but what would be the fun in that?  Besides, Ozzie Albies might no longer be a first ballot Hall of Famer at that time.

Personally, I find defensive stats dubious at best, but nevertheless, counting stats are probably all that matters this early. If I saw a Stat that said Semien was even an average defender, I'd ignore it. He's not going to suddenly become good because he doesn't possess the tools to be good at SS. 

#1 searched player on Fangraphs this morning.  Passed Baez in fWAR.

ZIPS updated now projects him at 3.9 fWAR for the year.  That's the 24th best updated projection for position players. (ie given what he's already produced and what they projected he's projected to be the 24th ranked position player at end of year.)

He's awesome, and we should enjoy this.  He'll struggle again but enjoy the ride.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

8 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Personally, I find defensive stats dubious at best, but nevertheless, counting stats are probably all that matters this early. If I saw a Stat that said Semien was even an average defender, I'd ignore it. He's not going to suddenly become good because he doesn't possess the tools to be good at SS. 

That’s not necessarily true, or the A’s wouldn’t have had Ron Washington invest so much time with him.

If Tim Anderson commits 35-40 errors this season, for example...would it also be reasonable to reach the same conclusion, as this is already his third big league season?  

Imo, if you possess the raw physical tools (Alexei Ramirez yet another example) and are making a combination of physical and mostly mental (concentration) errors...well, we’ve seen in the past how much influence Omar Vizquel had on him later on in his career, so I don’t see how anyone can be totally written off before they reach age 28 (even).

Development is not linear, whether it’s offensively or defensively.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

#1 searched player on Fangraphs this morning.  Passed Baez in fWAR.

ZIPS updated now projects him at 3.9 fWAR for the year.  That's the 24th best updated projection for position players. (ie given what he's already produced and what they projected he's projected to be the 24th ranked position player at end of year.)

He's awesome, and we should enjoy this.  He'll struggle again but enjoy the ride.

And just so people know, keep the perspective... he WILL struggle.  He swings really hard, which means he will slump at times.  He will go long stretches without contact.  It is not an IF, it is a WHEN.  But when he gets hot....

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

If I saw a Stat that said Semien was even an average defender, I'd ignore it. 

Sounds like the stat people go by the eye test just like us non advanced statniks. Like Caulfield said it's all selective IMO. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s not necessarily true, or the A’s wouldn’t have had Ron Washington invest so much time with him.

If Tim Anderson commits 35-40 errors this season, for example...would it also be reasonable to reach the same conclusion, as this is already his third big league season?  

Imo, if you possess the raw physical tools (Alexei Ramirez yet another example) and are making a combination of physical and mostly mental (concentration) errors...well, we’ve seen in the past how much influence Omar Vizquel had on him later on in his career, so I don’t see how anyone can be totally written off before they reach age 28 (even).

Development is not linear, whether it’s offensively or defensively.

Anderson has fantastic defensive tools, Marcus Semien doesn't. It's pretty simple. Washington invested time in Semien because his bat has fantastic potential. If you can get him to be a serviceable SS, it's a net plus. Semien's defensive ceiling is average. Andersons defensive ceiling is GG. 

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

Sounds like the stat people go by the eye test just like us non advanced statniks. Like Caulfield said it's all selective IMO. 

No, people who appreciate stats tend to understand that they are part of a large picture, some stats are skewed because of the information that is used, and one stat doesnt define a player.   You dont ever try and understand that

• Like 1

He continues to pummel right handed pitching. It is still debatable as to whether he will be able to do anything vs. lefties. I recently suggested that he try choking up, a little, on the bat. Perhaps when facing left handers, would be a good time to experiment.  Just trying to make contact and get on base would be an improvement over what he has done so far, in his limited appearances vs. rhp. Having a power stroke, from the right side, and trying to murder the ball, might not be the best approach.There is some thought that he has simply not faced enough LHP, to get on track. I hope that's the case, but the dramatic disparity in his splits is cause for some concern. Another possible strategy would be to try not to pull the ball, from that side, but instead, to attempt to hit more to right field. That would afford him a little extra time to see the ball.

Edited by Lillian

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

He continues to pummel right handed pitching. It is still debatable as to whether he will be able to do anything vs. lefties. I recently suggested that he try choking up, a little, on the bat. Perhaps when facing left handers, would be a good time to experiment.  Just trying to make contact and get on base would be an improvement over what he has done so far, in his limited appearances vs. rhp. Having a power stroke, from the right side, and trying to murder the ball, might not be the best approach.There is some thought that he has simply not faced enough LHP, to get on track. I hope that's the case, but the dramatic disparity in his splits is cause for some concern. Another possible strategy would be to try not to pull the ball, from that side, but instead, to attempt to hit more to right field. That would afford him a little extra time to see the ball.

I think he's going to excel hitting lefty and righty. I think any concerns about Moncada should be relaxed. Greg uses the eye test and he passes it big time, folks. No need to discuss Moncada except in terms of how he does in a given game. He's a star obviously.

11 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I think he's going to excel hitting lefty and righty. I think any concerns about Moncada should be relaxed. Greg uses the eye test and he passes it big time, folks. No need to discuss Moncada except in terms of how he does in a given game. He's a star obviously.

Seriously dude, why do you refer to yourself by name? hi8is is swooning for the greggy-poo but is turned off by your self pointed third person references.

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Seriously dude, why do you refer to yourself by name? hi8is is swooning for the greggy-poo but is turned off by your self pointed third person references.

That's all u got out of that great post? I'll try to stop the third person but it is difficult apparently to stifle that.

10 minutes ago, greg775 said:

That's all u got out of that great post? I'll try to stop the third person but it is difficult apparently to stifle that.

“I think Moncada will hit and anyone with concerns should chill.”

Yea, brilliant stuff there buttercup. 😘

A good way to think about it is there are quite a few good left-handed hitters who struggle to maintain a .600 OPS against lefties. He doesn't have to be the same guy on both sides of the plate and you have to recognize there's risk that he could be worse as a lefty against lefties.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Key phrase is 32 plate appearances. Even in 2017, he barely got a chance to show what he can do as a RHH. I will wait until the end of this season to judge the difference between him as a LHH and RHH.

But there's also an extant body of work by Moncada that has shown a proclivity to struggle v LHP; I had wanted him to work on this issue last season before he was called up. That said, here's hoping he can make himself relevant as a RHH.