Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

45 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would say Rivera has the best chance and he’s still got to convince us that he’s an actual prospect and not some kid beating up on younger competition.

To me, Rivera is just another Tim Anderson with less pop, less speed, and less plate discipline (as weird as that sounds)

On 8/19/2018 at 9:59 PM, Jerksticks said:

Let’s see if Kopech and hopefully Eloy coming up lights a fire under Moncada’s car-collecting ass

This guy probably needs an off-season more than anything. Maybe he needs a few days off, but everyone should be concerned about him.

Something lost in all the strikeouts is that he's just not hitting the ball hard anymore.  We all know where his average exit velocity was earlier in the year, as that was everyone's saving grace for why not to worry.  Well, I checked the stat cast website and he's around 45th in all of baseball now in average exit velocity.  Never thought I'd see the day where he looks better batting righty than he does lefty.  

• Thanks 1

Best thing that can happen for this kid now is to get lost in the Kopech hype and then get lost in the Eloy hype when it happens.   Ricky installing him as the leadoff hitter was a mistake in hindsight, a big one.  Kid's had a bullseye on his back all year and he's obviously not mature enough to handle it yet.  That's something the manager, especially one annointed a "latin whisperer" should recognize IMO.

It's the same BS we saw when Robin anointed Eaton.  Stop crowning these guys in spring fucking training.  The managers we've had in Chicago since Ozzie left have been absolute dog shit and it's not doing the players any favors.  We need a fire and brimstone type imo.  

Girardi would be perfect for a guy like Yoan imo.  Has the gravitas to make him work and not in a father figure role but as his boss and leader. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Best thing that can happen for this kid now is to get lost in the Kopech hype and then get lost in the Eloy hype when it happens.   Ricky installing him as the leadoff hitter was a mistake in hindsight, a big one.  Kid's had a bullseye on his back all year and he's obviously not mature enough to handle it yet.  That's something the manager, especially one annointed a "latin whisperer" should recognize IMO.

It's the same BS we saw when Robin anointed Eaton.  Stop crowning these guys in spring fucking training.  The managers we've had in Chicago since Ozzie left have been absolute dog shit and it's not doing the players any favors.  We need a fire and brimstone type imo.  

Girardi would be perfect for a guy like Yoan imo.  Has the gravitas to make him work and not in a father figure role but as his boss and leader. 

I agree with this, but have to admit I was on the other side of the argument earlier.  I though Ricky was good for this situation but after seeing all the bunting, bad managing, etc...I think it is time to get a real manager and Girardi would be perfect. Not so sure he would want to come or if the Sox even have that on their radar but I think Joe is one of the best out there and can’t believe he doesn’t have a job. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

What about the belief that Girardi didn't exactly gel with the young Yankees players 

I’ve noticed on MLB Network he’s trying to show he’s lightening up a little...not taking the old school side of every topic. Easier said than done, but I think he knows he has to adapt to the younger players personalities, because it’s not going back to hardass baseball. 

17 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Best thing that can happen for this kid now is to get lost in the Kopech hype and then get lost in the Eloy hype when it happens.   Ricky installing him as the leadoff hitter was a mistake in hindsight, a big one. 

I'll disagree with you on this.

IMHO, the best thing that could happen for this kid is for this stupid FO to have an excuse to send him down. I think that a long-lasting, but not career-threatening injury in Spring Training, followed by a few weeks of riding busses would be the best way to get the lad's attention.

I thought it in July of '17, & I'm convinced of it now: Moncada was stupidly rushed, & his development was harmed. He can still turn it around, but his sub-.700 OPS, despite being on track for 20 HR shows how screwed up he is at the plate, & how these coaches are not helping him.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, fathom said:

Something lost in all the strikeouts is that he's just not hitting the ball hard anymore.  We all know where his average exit velocity was earlier in the year, as that was everyone's saving grace for why not to worry.  Well, I checked the stat cast website and he's around 45th in all of baseball now in average exit velocity.  Never thought I'd see the day where he looks better batting righty than he does lefty.  

I think this is a symptom of him becoming too passive. Taking too many pitches and hesitant on the swing.

16 hours ago, flavum said:

I’ve noticed on MLB Network he’s trying to show he’s lightening up a little...not taking the old school side of every topic. Easier said than done, but I think he knows he has to adapt to the younger players personalities, because it’s not going back to hardass baseball. 

The network job doesn't appear to have changed Gruden, even though it appeared so while in the booth. So the network Girardi should be considered but the interviewshould carry much more weight.

https://deadspin.com/white-sox-prospect-yoan-moncada-eats-up-to-85-twinkies-1793613366

Just found out about this article from Spring of 17. The guy was eating 85 twinkies a week as a multi-multi millionaire professional athlete? I understand that he was a young man just arriving in a new country, but he is far far from your average "joe" and has financial priviledges that most of us will never come close to having. 

That kind of behavior should have set off some alarms and served as a red flag about the kid's work ethic. 

Also, the quotes from Keith Law about Moncada's hit tool have been very accurate some 18 months later. Moncada has to learn how to adjust his hitting approach and cut down his K rate. His 2018 has been worse than his 2017 and that is very alarming. 

Edited by footlongcomiskeydog
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, footlongcomiskeydog said:

https://deadspin.com/white-sox-prospect-yoan-moncada-eats-up-to-85-twinkies-1793613366

Just found out about this article from Spring of 17. The guy was eating 85 twinkies a week as a multi-multi millionaire professional athlete? I understand that he was a young man just arriving in a new country, but he is far far from your average "joe" and has financial priviledges that most of us will never come close to having. 

That kind of behavior should have set off some alarms and served as a red flag about the kid's work ethic. 

Also, the quotes from Keith Law about Moncada's hit tool have been very accurate some 18 months later. Moncada has to learn how to adjust his hitting approach and cut down his K rate. His 2018 has been worse than his 2017 and that is very alarming. 

The outrage on this has long passed its expiration date.  The funny thing is that since the article, I have yet to see a single report actually questioning his worth ethic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1