Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's at .4 fWAR with a 249 wRC+ and a 16.5% K percentage.  A soft contact rate of 7.1%.  An incredible start.

I'd imagine he had quite a few 5 game samples with similar numbers last year fwiw.

Edited by mqr

14 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'd imagine he had quite a few 5 game samples with similar numbers last year fwiw.

Had a few hot stretches, but maybe 3-4 compared to this one.  https://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?playerid=17232&position=2B&type=&gds=2018-03-29&gde=2018-09-30&season=

Edited by chitownsportsfan

He looks a lot more comfortable and confident at the plate this year.  The double yesterday was sweet.  Last year, after going down two strikes from the right, he didn't get a hit.

I know it's early, and we can't make wild predictions based on five games, but I definitely like what I've seen so far both offensively and defensively.

17 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Might as well pay him if Sox paid Eloy.

Especially since there seems to be a lot of circumstantial evidence as well as more tangible evidence that they aren't going to be willing to give out "franchise-type" deals for top free agents.

51 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Especially since there seems to be a lot of circumstantial evidence as well as more tangible evidence that they aren't going to be willing to give out "franchise-type" deals for top free agents.

Yep let’s lock this kid up thru 2025 so the young core of Eloy, Moncada, Madrigal, Robert, and June’s top draft pick are all controlled for the next 6+ years.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Moncada signed a $31.5M contract with the Red Sox. He has his money. Moncada is one guy that might be hard to keep around. Same with Robert, who has $26M in the bank already as well, should he become everything we hope. 

Out of the guys that might want security, Eloy and Lopez are the guys. 

Giolito's family is already wealthy, and Moncada has his money banked. 

His family maybe but he's not. Doesn't matter how much money the parents have. He needs to make his own life.

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

His family maybe but he's not. Doesn't matter how much money the parents have. He needs to make his own life.

He also was a 1st round pick and got a $7M signing bonus before slotting.  It's not stupid money but it's still a lot. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm usually conservative about money matters, but no, I wouldn't take that ever in Yoan's position. Not with $25 million in the bank.

If I'm Yoan Moncada, I play out the next season, or several seasons if necessary, and I become willing to talk a 9 figure extension once I've made an all star team, not before. If he does ever break out, he's a guy who could be talking about a long term deal 3-4x as lucrative as the one you just wrote. 

With everyone else, you're talking about guys who have $2-5 million in the bank, maybe less, so a $25 million guarantee is life-changing money. For Moncada, $25 million is already banked, so you're not giving him enough security with that deal, he can afford to wait until he earns something higher. 

Well, that $25 million is actually a lot less than $25 million.  Even in the DR, there are taxes. We also know his agent gets a cut. We also know that Yo loves to spend. I am going to guess he has a lot less than $25 million today, probably less than half... or less.

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well, that $25 million is actually a lot less than $25 million.  Even in the DR, there are taxes. We also know his agent gets a cut. We also know that Yo loves to spend. I am going to guess he has a lot less than $25 million today, probably less than half... or less.

Ask Scottie Pippen and Mike Tyson how quickly millions can disappear...

36 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

It says in the article you linked 😂

Not just talking the cost to buy them. Cost of ownership. What does insurance and maintenance cost on ultra luxury cars like those? I know a standard oil change on a Lamborghini is like a couple thousand bucks.

6 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Taxes alone take half so add agent and spend and I’m going to guess a lot less. 

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Taxes alone take half so add agent and spend and I’m going to guess a lot less. 

Which is why I think dangling another $60M guaranteed in front of him would be awfully enticing, especially if it still allows him to hit free agency no later than age 30.

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

How about a 5 game sample size?

GOAT

I realize this was a sarcastic reply but it’s not just a 5 game sample size that gives reason for optimism. We’re talking about a former #1 MLB prospect, one of the most talented international prospects we’ve seen in the modern game, and a physical specimen that it was obvious to anyone watching last year had a ton of raw talent but lacked the proper mental approach at the plate. The fact that the mental approach has changed is very significant. The current optimism (at least in my eyes) is less about the results and more about his change in approach, which was also apparent during spring training. He is being much more aggresive and decisive at the plate, which consequently leads to increased confidence. The results are a byproduct of the mental game catching up with the physical one and, did I mention, he’s still just 23 years old. The sky’s the limit. For all the haters laughing at my posts last year and again this year in support of this guy, well, they can suck on it. Yoan is primed for a breakout, perhaps even one year sooner than I would have even predicted.