Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

You don’t think he’d cost Rutherford so you’d offer them a better prospect instead?

I don't think Adolfo is a better prospect because he's injury prone, has lost a ton of development time, and is running low on options. 

In a vacuum, he is but when you take everything into account, he isn't  I wouldn't even go that far to be honest. 

I give Rutherford a better chance of making the Sox than Adolfo at this point, Rutherford has like a 5% chance and Adolfo is non-zero IMO.  I wouldn't count on Adolfo for anything. 

The most I'd realistically offer is some guy in A+ that is interesting. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I still believe in Madrigal. RF is the absolute huge hole right now. 2B isn't a long term hole, but a short term hole. I don't trust Collins at C. I have RF circled as the bugaboo. 

I'm old enough to remember when people thought Machado was a much better fit for this team than Harper.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think Adolfo is a better prospect because he's injury prone, has lost a ton of development time, and is running low on options. 

In a vacuum, he is but when you take everything into account, he isn't  I wouldn't even go that far to be honest. 

The most I'd realistically offer is some guy in A+ that is interesting. 

They got some random A+ guy for Jay Bruce so using that as a guide I think they'd want a bit more for Domingo.  I don't rate Rutherford at all so I'd rather trade him than Adolfo.  Still think Adolfo has a 270/330/500 ceiling and is the better prospect.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

They got some random A+ guy for Jay Bruce so using that as a guide I think they'd want a bit more for Domingo.  I don't rate Rutherford at all so I'd rather trade him than Adolfo.  Still think Adolfo has a 270/330/500 ceiling and is the better prospect.

The same market that puts Bruce at a random A+ guy is what puts Santana at a not very good prospect. 

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't think much of either guy, but I think more of Rutherford than Adolfo for the White Sox. Adolfo is absolutely a better prospect but I don't think that he progresses enough by the time the Sox run out of options due to missed time.  He's gonna be a guy who gets waived and has a 5-6 year MLB career starting at 26-27 and ending around 33

Edited by Jack Parkman

21 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

I'm old enough to remember when people thought Machado was a much better fit for this team than Harper.

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That was before we knew that the OF in AA would all take a shit and Moncada was an above average 3B. 

I wanted Harper more for off-field reasons but still think Machado would have been the better fit. You'd have him instead of Yolmer Sanchez, not Moncada. Plus I'm still confident in a long-term OF of Jimenez/Robert/one of Gonzalez/Basabe. 

4 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I wanted Harper more for off-field reasons but still think Machado would have been the better fit. You'd have him instead of Yolmer Sanchez, not Moncada. Plus I'm still confident in a long-term OF of Jimenez/Robert/one of Gonzalez/Basabe. 

I was with you. 

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think much of either guy, but I think more of Rutherford than Adolfo for the White Sox. Adolfo is absolutely a better prospect but I don't think that he progresses enough by the time the Sox run out of options due to missed time.  He's gonna be a guy who gets waived and has a 5-6 year MLB career starting at 26-27 and ending around 33

Is this counting the extra year of control for Adolfo due to injuries?

6 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

last 28 days - 32% k rate, but .855 OPS. He's still at less than 29% for the year, but it's been climbing since April.

Weirdly, with his seasonal stats, I wonder if Alex Rios may end up being a good comp for Moncada...

Rios?? You gotta be kidding me. Moncada is a star in the making; Rios?? Cmon. I already like Moncada; I despised Rios.

7 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

last 28 days - 32% k rate, but .855 OPS. He's still at less than 29% for the year, but it's been climbing since April.

Weirdly, with his seasonal stats, I wonder if Alex Rios may end up being a good comp for Moncada...

I don't think anyone is going to confuse Moncada with Rios.

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The only "pie in the sky" is assuming Eloy figures it out and Robert is a stud which I believe are safe assumptions. Madrigal is more iffy. 

Not worried about Madrigal.  Need Right Fielder and two decent starters.  Good to go.

6 hours ago, greg775 said:

Rios?? You gotta be kidding me. Moncada is a star in the making; Rios?? Cmon. I already like Moncada; I despised Rios.

I just looked up Rios stats with the Sox. He had two very solid years with them. 3.3 and 4 WAR seasons. 

7 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I just looked up Rios stats with the Sox. He had two very solid years with them. 3.3 and 4 WAR seasons. 

I appreciate what you are saying. However, even without being armed with advanced stats I think it's safe to say if Moncada has a Rios-like career it would be considered a huge disappointment. I guess my dislike of Rios could be criticized as being unfair, especially considering I worship Avi and some point out his value is much less than I think it is. I probably should not hate certain players and like others and should be more efficient in studying the advanced stats and making an opinion off them combined with player age. I probably overemphasize the eye test or at least my eye test.

As it currently stands, Moncada rates high on my personal scale of ballplayer; Rios ranks very very low.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

Rios was a 27 WAR player over about 10 seasons of games. For reference, Greg, Konerko was a cumulative 27 WAR player over about 15 seasons of games. 

At Rios’ peak he consistently played in the “good to all star” range.

i understand people not liking the comp because it’s likely Yoan will have more power (and strike out a ton more), but in terms of their slash line I could see them being similar.

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

I appreciate what you are saying. However, even without being armed with advanced stats I think it's safe to say if Moncada has a Rios-like career it would be considered a huge disappointment. I guess my dislike of Rios could be criticized as being unfair, especially considering I worship Avi and some point out his value is much less than I think it is. I probably should not hate certain players and like others and should be more efficient in studying the advanced stats and making an opinion off them combined with player age. I probably overemphasize the eye test or at least my eye test.

As it currently stands, Moncada rates high on my personal scale of ballplayer; Rios ranks very very low.

The heart loves who the heart loves and hates who the heart hates.

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

Just wondering, why did you hate him so much? He balled out for a couple seasons. 

23 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't even think he'd cost Rutherford. The most I'd offer is Adolfo, but they probably get him for less than that. He's a good stopgap until Rutherford/Gonzalez/Basabe play out. 

I'd rather trade Rutherford than Adolfo.  Adolfo could for sure end up really biting the Sox if they sell low.  Rutherford could be a major league, but he has no chance to be a star.  If Adolfo figures out how to be healthy, he could really blossom.  Hard no on trading Micker. 

23 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Adolfo doesn't need to be in the bigs until OD 2022.  The Sox got another option year due to all the injuries.  He still has 2 more full season in the minors to stay healthy.  

13 hours ago, ron883 said:

Rios was solid, but Moncada is also on pace to crush both of those marks this year. He’s on pace for ~5.3 fWAR

43 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Just wondering, why did you hate him so much? He balled out for a couple seasons. 

I really can't remember why I despised him so much. Maybe it has something to do with him sucking in 2009 when we acquired him and we flopped and he flopped. Not sure.