Moncada

Buehrle>Wood

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Both have 2.8 fWAR.  Devers a little better offensively, Moncada definitely better defensively.  

Not sure what Devers has to do with Moncada though.  

Someone said if Moncada was on the Sawx he'd  be an all star but Devers isn't there and they are comparable. That being said I think Moncada has gold gloves in his future at 3B, and Devers is somewhat of a liability there. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Someone said if Moncada was on the Sawx he'd  be an all star but Devers isn't there and they are comparable. That being said I think Moncada has gold gloves in his future at 3B, and Devers is somewhat of a liability there. 

Not as long as Chapman is in the AL. That dude is an all-timer

Edited by mqr

1 hour ago, mqr said:

Not as long as Chapman is in the AL. That dude is an all-timer

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Yeah, Chapman’s defense is insane.  Worth the price of the mlb app.

Just because there is someone better, doesn't mean that Moncada isn't a great 3B. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Just because there is someone better, doesn't mean that Moncada isn't a great 3B. 

I am not disagreeing with you.  I love Moncada.  But for a longtime baseball fan, Chapman is super fun to watch over there.

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

No but you said gold gloves : P

It's going to be very difficult to impossible for Moncada to win until the A's decide they're done paying chapman. 

Edited by mqr

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

One good reason to check in on Devers and Benitendi is that they both were rumored as a part of the Sale deal in place of Moncada.

I'd take Moncada and Kopech 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. Both had boundless upside when the trade was made. Benintendi and Devers were safer, and if Moncada and Kopech turned into the players they are now in Boston I honestly don't think that it would matter to us. We'd have assumed that Moncada and Kopech were never available. The fact they got Dombrowski to part with them is a coup of epic proportions. 

I'm still frustrated because the Sox were all over Benintendi in the 2015 draft but they had to win 5 meaningless games in a lost season and that left them with Carson Fulmer instead. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd take Moncada and Kopech 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. Both had boundless upside when the trade was made. Benintendi and Devers were safer, and if Moncada and Kopech turned into the players they are now in Boston I honestly don't think that it would matter to us. We'd have assumed that Moncada and Kopech were never available. The fact they got Dombrowski to part with them is a coup of epic proportions. 

Yes imagine if Kopech didn't get injured and was on pace for something like 180 innings with an ERA of 4 and something like a 160/60 K/BB rate.  We'd be over the moon.  Hard to remember that in theory his trade could start producing 8+ WAR a year as soon as 2020.

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm still frustrated because the Sox were all over Benintendi in the 2015 draft but they had to call up Rodon in a lost season and win 5 meaningless games that left them with Carson Fulmer instead. 

Yea, losing out on Beni in the draft sucked. Anyone who doesn’t see the immense value of highest possible draft position is beyond me.

I'm very happy with Vaughn and Madrigal but imagine Mize and Ruchman instead.

Dont even remember who was the first overall pick in 2015. 

Just now, hi8is said:

Yea, losing out on Beni in the draft sucked. Anyone who doesn’t see the immense value of highest possible draft position is beyond me.

Dansby Swanson

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I didnt know that Chapman had the reputation of Brooks Robinson 

The gap last year between Chapman and the second 3rd basemen in UZR last year was the same as the gap between number 2 and number 10. 

He was second in 2017...he played 84 games. 

He's a big cause of Semiens numbers looking so good, because he allows Marcus to shade his left. 

They guy has been absurdly good. Not trying to take anything away from Yoan, but he's not even really close to Chapman. Probably only Arenado is. 

Edited by mqr

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Yes imagine if Kopech didn't get injured and was on pace for something like 180 innings with an ERA of 4 and something like a 160/60 K/BB rate.  We'd be over the moon.  Hard to remember that in theory his trade could start producing 8+ WAR a year as soon as 2020.

Moncada and Kopech alone are going to exceed Sale's best years by 2020. Imagine if Basabe becomes a 2 WAR regular, which isn't out of the question. That is a hell of a trade and exactly what you want when you trade Chris Sale with 3 years on a bargain contract. 

And honestly, if Giolito keeps this up anything they get out of Lopez and Dunning is gravy. 

The big issue with what the Sox did with regard to the draft is that they didn't tear it down far enough, quickly enough. If they could have pulled off the Eloy/Cease deal and also traded Abreu before OD 2017 I think they end up with the 1st pick in 2018. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

24 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Jared Mitchell in 2009 drafted by White Sox over Mike Trout wasn't a high-lite either.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Jared Mitchell in 2009 drafted by White Sox over Mike Trout wasn't a high-lite either.

Like I said, I think Mitchell would have been a decent MLB regular had he not suffered a career altering injury before he could even have a full season in pro ball. 

44 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Haha.  The only problem here, is that other teams are trying to lose too.  The Sox are even bad at being bad.  Hahah.

25 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I recall a contingent including myself being in a Soxtalk chat during that pick losing our shit that we didn’t take Trout.

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I recall a contingent including myself being in a Soxtalk chat during that pick losing our shit that we didn’t take Trout.

That was practically the entire site at the time that was into prospects. It was a near unanimous vote for Trout IIRC. I don't think there was a regular poster on the FS board that didn't want Trout. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That was practically the entire site at the time that was into prospects. It was a near unanimous vote for Trout IIRC. 

Which makes you wonder if a group of oil face kids can scout picks - what was up with our scouting department.

3 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Which makes you wonder if a group of oil face kids can scout picks - what was up with our scouting department.

I don't think any of us thought that 18 year old Mike Trout would become the best all around CF since Mickey Mantle. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2