April 7th Game Thread: White Sox vs. Tigers

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 01:30 PM)
Giolito's fastball velocity has been very underwhelming so far, he's down probably another 2 MPH over even last year.

He is pitching in the cold and still hitting 93 at times. I suspect in a month he will be hitting 95 at times.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 01:31 PM)
Tricky thing with this can be when he's throwing the cutter that can look a lot like a slow fastball to the naked eye.

Statcast differentiates between cutters, 2-seamers and 4-seamers. It's not identifying any of his pitches as a cutter which means there isn't sufficient movement for it to quality as a cutter.

His first start his 4-seamer averaged at 91.4 (92.4 last year). His 2-seamer was at 90.5 (last year 91.7).

Today he's below 90 on quite a few fastballs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 02:45 PM)
Why is Engel dipping so much on his swing. Looks absolutely awful

Yeah, he wasn't even close on that fastball. I even knew that pitch was coming. He checked at 2 fastballs right in the zone, like he didn't know where the pitches were.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 01:46 PM)
Ok why ? You over reacted a few games ago on Davidson too.

lol, how does one "over react" when the players in question had over 800 combined PA last year and were over -2 fWAR combined.

I'm not over reacting to this year I'm reacting to bad players that have sucked for a long time on the south side.