April 7th Game Thread: White Sox vs. Tigers

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Chicago White Sox vs. Detroit Tigers

Stadium: guaranteed rate V Field

Game start time: 1:10 PM Central Daylight Time

Starting pitchers: Lucas Giolito (0-0, 4.50) vs. Michael Fulmer (0-1, 1.13)

Promotion: Winter Hat presented by Coca-Cola handed out to first 15,000 fans entering the ballpark

Announcers: Steve Stone and Jason Benetti (television), Ed Farmer and Darrin Jackson (radio), Hector Molina and Billy Russo (Spanish radio)

Television start time: 1:00 PM Central / 2:00 PM Eastern *

6 over-the-air TV stations:

Chicago WGN-TV, Channel 9 (Independent)

Rockford WIFR-LD, Channel 23-3 (COZI TV)

Quad Cities WQAD-TV Moline, Channel 8-3 (my network TV)

Cedar Rapids / Waterloo / Iowa City KCRG-TV Cedar Rapids, Channel 9-2 (my network TV)

Springfield, IL / Decatur / Champaign WBUI Decatur, Channel 23 (The CW)

Indianapolis WNDY-TV Maron, IN, Channel 23 (my network TV) *

Note: Not televised at South Bend and Peoria / Bloomington, IL due to scheduling conflict with WLS-TV Chicago Cubs telecast(

Radio:

Chicago AM 720 WGN

And the ‘WGN White Radio Network’ http://wgnradio.com/2018/03/18/2018-white-...ork-affiliates/

Spanish Radio:

Chicago AM 1200 WRTO (Univision Deportes Radio) / FM HD 105.1 WOJO-HD3 Evanston (using HD capable radios) / Channel 9 WGN-TV Second Audio Program (by pressing SAP button on remote)

Edited by InTheDriversSeat

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just took my dogs for a walk. It’s cold but should be OK in the sun. Hardly any wind. I would imagine in the park , in the sun it will feel close to 50. It will be one of those games no one will be sitting on the first base side once the shadows start covering those areas.

Fulmer looked sharp in his first start of the season vs Pittsburgh. It won't be easy again with this weather either - but both teams have to deal with it. Would really like to see us bounce back from Thursday.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 06:21 PM)
Moncada called out on strikes on a pitch very high in the zone.

Has to stop taking first pitch fastball strike as much as he has. 7 straight at bats this series he took first pitch strike.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 01:23 PM)
Has to stop taking first pitch fastball strike as much as he has. 7 straight at bats this series he took first pitch strike.

He is the lead off hitter, it is very typical for a lead off guy to take the first pitch or two. He does need to swing at it every once and awhile to keep them honest though

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 02:23 PM)

One of my arguments for trying him in a different spot in the lineup. That was a high pitch, but it was also a strike.

Davidson goes down on what looked like a meatball (ie, offspeed up in zone)....Sox heading for another 12 or 13 strikeouts again today.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 06:24 PM)
He is the lead off hitter, it is very typical for a lead off guy to take the first pitch or two. He does need to swing at it every once and awhile to keep them honest though

Yep given his struggles against offspeed pitches, that first pitch fastball might be best pitch he sees.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 11:24 AM)

Typically batting averages on 1st pitch strikes are very high. As a hitter, leadoff or not, you have to keep that in mind.

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 02:30 PM)
Giolito's fastball velocity has been very underwhelming so far, he's down probably another 2 MPH over even last year.

Tricky thing with this can be when he's throwing the cutter that can look a lot like a slow fastball to the naked eye.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 06:31 PM)
Tricky thing with this can be when he's throwing the cutter that can look a lot like a slow fastball to the naked eye.

Nah it's 91-92 on fastball so far. Really think this weather is rougher on him than most.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 06:29 PM)
Book seems to be out on him not taking the bat off the shoulder. He’s gotta keep pitchers honest

He also has to stop guessing with 2 strikes. Can't be taking fastballs over the plate with two strikes and chasing offspeed pitches off the plate