Todd Steverson

ron883

What Todd Steverson has been able to do with our hitters has been extraordinary. Hitters are finally flourishing, including those who weren't surefire prospects. Matt Davidson looks like a whole different guy. Adam Engel appears to not be a completely atrocious hitter anymore. Tim Anderson has developed nicely. Avi has become a stud. It is time to give this guy a little credit. I'm not trying to give him all the credit for these players improving, but the adjustments he is having the hitters make seem to be paying off. Is it time to lock him up for the near future?

I like him but as southsider said, I think a lot of it is also Renteria. Additionally, I'm not gonna give either of them credit for Davidson or Engel, as I still don't think either of them are/will be MLB hitters. But we'll see, I hope they prove me wrong.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 11:15 AM)
I like him but as southsider said, I think a lot of it is also Renteria. Additionally, I'm not gonna give either of them credit for Davidson or Engel, as I still don't think either of them are/will be MLB hitters. But we'll see, I hope they prove me wrong.

Yep. Engel hasn't proven anything yet and Paulie should get credit for the change in Davidson's swing. I'd wait and see with Steverson.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but from where the Sox were a few years ago at developing hitters to the direction they are finally seemingly going... is incredibly encouraging. One example, and I realize he hasn't exactly proven himself completely yet, is Yolmer. Back in the dark days a prospect like Yolmer may never have made it as a hitter, and it really looks like he may turn into a nice player for the Sox. Maybe the scouting has also improved drastically, but we are so quick sometimes to denounce coaches for a players failures, that I feel like we should also attribute some successes to coaches. Steverson has to be responsible, to some degree, for Yolmers continued development at the MLB level. It's not just Rick Renteria.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 12:07 PM)
Don't forget, Todd was here during Ventura, and a lot of these same guys couldn't hit to save their lives then (Avi, Yolmer, etc)

No doubt about it. I feel Rick's demeanor and attitude is the biggest change for the team. IMHO, they carry those things onto the field and that's a good thing. I think Ricky does a hell of a job relating to the young players and it's easy to see they respect him and believe in him as a manager.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 09:41 AM)
Yep. Engel hasn't proven anything yet and Paulie should get credit for the change in Davidson's swing. I'd wait and see with Steverson.

No not Paulie but the same guy who worked with PK asst, hitting coach Mike Gellinger. http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20170805...hanged-my-swing

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 7, 2018 -> 01:33 PM)
No not Paulie but the same guy who worked with PK asst, hitting coach Mike Gellinger. http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20170805...hanged-my-swing

Can't read it because of some stupid survey thing but I'll take your word for it. I probably mixed up info in my head. I do remember Davidson saying he was picking Konerko's brain.