Sign in to follow this  
iWiN4PreP

**World Soxtalk Championship Wrestling Thread VI**

20 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Absolutely. 

The talent is there by far, I just can't tell if the writers are the main problem or if its upper management. I can't imagine anyone is this bad at writing storylines on a week to week basis. It's shockingly bad. I'd take a third graders essay-story over most of the writing in wrestling right now. 

It's mostly because nobody wants to rock the boat. From Vince on down, they play it safe, and why? Because they have no viable competition AND they're getting paid huge money to keep the status quo. Even in NXT, they really don't do much in the way of risk taking with characters or storylines. They find their favorite few and basically stick with them until they're bumped to the main roster. Let's take Asuka as an example of this lack of risk taking. She should have lost while in NXT to complete the story and help create another star, but nope. After she got "indy-popular" -- a term I use for wrestlers that only the most die-hard of wrestling fans decide to like -- they basically buried the entire NXT womens roster beneath her and then brought up to the main roster because they didn't want to rock the boat or take chances with Ember Moon or anyone else dethroning her stupid streak.

Now wait for it...

Yes, that same streak they shattered by having Charlotte beat her right before Carmella beat Charlotte twice, cleanly, and then bragged about it and deservedly so. So the streak ended up meaning fucking nothing, and nobody got a rub from it. I just question so much of what they do story wise it's not even funny. Bobby Roode went from having an actual dickish, arrogant character that proved to the world that he was the best in NXT to being a guy that comes out to music and then ceases to have any personality or character whatsoever.

Ember Moon? What exactly is her character or her motivation? Is she a wrestler that think she's a werewolf? I'm not sure. Why is she a babyface? Why does she hate Alexa Bliss? Who or what does she fight for? It's like ... the most basic of storytelling elements, from character to motivation just don't exist anymore.

That being said, with these billion dollar deals being thrown around right now, I hold out hope someone gets the idea that with the right infusion of cash, a place like RoH could become a viable alternative to becoming the next WCW quite easily because a competing product that's rated PG-14 and more adult-centric? I got a feeling it wouldn't only compete with the WWE, it'd make waves. It just can't come off as low-rent like it does now...and it needs to compete directly with WWE like WCW did. Live on Monday, and force the audience to choose. If RoH has the likes of Cody Rhodes vs Omega in a blood feud telling an actual story of trying to prove they're the best in the world ... I'd fucking watch that over the drivel the WWE is putting out right now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Y2HH said:

Ember Moon? What exactly is her character or her motivation? Is she a wrestler that think she's a werewolf? I'm not sure. Why is she a babyface? Why does she hate Alexa Bliss? Who or what does she fight for? It's like ... the most basic of storytelling elements, from character to motivation just don't exist anymore.

You make excellent points throughout your entire post. I think this quote could be said for a lot of the wrestlers (maybe over 90% of them). Lack of direction is a huge problem.

7 hours ago, Y2HH said:

Yes, that same streak they shattered by having Charlotte beat her right before Carmella beat Charlotte twice, cleanly, and then bragged about it and deservedly so. So the streak ended up meaning fucking nothing, and nobody got a rub from it.

The streak ending leading to no pay out is probably the biggest failure on the booking team since they destroyed Bayley at the hands of Bliss (mainly the 'this is your life Bayley' segment). 

7 hours ago, Y2HH said:

That being said, with these billion dollar deals being thrown around right now, I hold out hope someone gets the idea that with the right infusion of cash, a place like RoH could become a viable alternative to becoming the next WCW quite easily because a competing product that's rated PG-14 and more adult-centric? I got a feeling it wouldn't only compete with the WWE, it'd make waves. It just can't come off as low-rent like it does now...and it needs to compete directly with WWE like WCW did. Live on Monday, and force the audience to choose. If RoH has the likes of Cody Rhodes vs Omega in a blood feud telling an actual story of trying to prove they're the best in the world ... I'd fucking watch that over the drivel the WWE is putting out right now.

You are damn right. If there was a company that I felt put out a compelling wrestling product and was head to head with WWE, I'd choose it 10 times out of 10 over the current product.  The key thing that WWE has is its time slots are great for viewing. I have no idea how to watch things like TNA or even when they are on. I want a weekly show that I can sink my teeth into, and unfortunately, WWE does that well by having MON/TUE and then the PPVs on Sat/Sun. 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, iWiN4PreP said:

I have never been a bully to anyone on this site -- that's not who I am. Calling someone a normie or basic is not being a bully, in some respects -- people love being normal.

I will have to ask that you guys stick to the discussion at hand. Is there any insight that you have on the posts? @Y2HH brought up a great point that I overlooked in regards to the Nia situation (as I only casually have been following some storylines). It's amazing the lack of structure WWE storyline writers have. Some would consider them extremely basic and pandering to a less than intelligent fan base. It's an insult.

Look guys, I'm not trying to be captain douche, I come here to talk wrestling -- but if you guys can't see the problems with WWE, then it is my job to show you their logical inconsistencies.

But when you point out said problems and said "logical inconsistencies" you seem to be completely PISSED. I think I've been posting on this site consistently for 2 years now yet when I stop in this thread, you're doing nothing but complaining...but here we are, June 6, 2018, and you are still watching and still b****ing. You're going to spin this and say you're a fan who loves a product/company and has a right to complain, but if I was this upset about something in my life, I'd let it f***ing go.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

What is overrated garbage thatll get 7 stars from le meltz

This comment is almost as laughable as Y2HH saying he’s watched NXT before.

I’m not going to disagree that Meltzer plays favorites and overrates matches but if you can’t appreciate what those two guys did in their 4 matches, that’s too bad.

23 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

This comment is almost as laughable as Y2HH saying he’s watched NXT before.

I have watched NXT, I just don't care for it so I don't continue to watch it. I did like Bobby Roode in NXT, though, far more than whatever this is now. And I agree with his point on Omega/Okada, I watched the first few, and thought they were way too long and drawn out, and now they're just rehashes of that same match.

It's just not my cup of tea. It's like watching an hour long car chase. It's fun for about 10-15 minutes and then it's like okay, get to the point.

Edited by Y2HH

23 hours ago, Brian said:

I’m not going to disagree that Meltzer plays favorites and overrates matches but if you can’t appreciate what those two guys did in their 4 matches, that’s too bad.

I guess I can appreciate it for the high level of skill it takes, but it's still not my thing as it pertains to wrestling. I have nothing but respect for their skillset, but I have nothing invested in either man so I have no skin in the game. It's like watching any sport where you don't know or care about either team playing. That's how I feel about Omega/Okada.

Decided not to go to MITB.  Tickets are insanely high and the product just isn't entertaining to me right now.  I watched only a few minutes of Raw/Smackdown this week.  It's sad when the most I've seen of WWE personnel lately is on Total Bellas.

19 hours ago, fathom said:

Decided not to go to MITB.  Tickets are insanely high and the product just isn't entertaining to me right now.  I watched only a few minutes of Raw/Smackdown this week.  It's sad when the most I've seen of WWE personnel lately is on Total Bellas.

Tickets are crazy expensive right now.  I did get NXT tickets for 20 bucks.  Excited to see Dream live.

58 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Tickets are crazy expensive right now.  I did get NXT tickets for 20 bucks.  Excited to see Dream live.

Hope they have a new Velveteen Dream shirt there. He deserves one

On 6/10/2018 at 2:30 AM, Buehrle>Wood said:

What is overrated garbage thatll get 7 stars from le meltz

He actually gave it 7 stars, lol

7 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

He actually gave it 7 stars, lol

He has to be trolling. He used to rarely give a match 5 stars. 

On 6/11/2018 at 10:18 AM, Y2HH said:

I have watched NXT, I just don't care for it so I don't continue to watch it. I did like Bobby Roode in NXT, though, far more than whatever this is now. And I agree with his point on Omega/Okada, I watched the first few, and thought they were way too long and drawn out, and now they're just rehashes of that same match.

It's just not my cup of tea. It's like watching an hour long car chase. It's fun for about 10-15 minutes and then it's like okay, get to the point.

Here’s the thing... your “criticism” of Okada-Omega makes a ton of sense to me.  You’re not invested in their characters so you don’t care about the in ring stuff, I get that.  I love their matches but I get that.  Your criticism of NXT not telling stories isn’t an opinion, it’s just 100 percent wrong.  They literally tell the best stories in pro wrestling.  But it is what it is.

• Like 1

Yeah, if you think nxt isn’t good storytelling, there’s no hope for you as a fan.

Went to NXT last night and it was just amazing.  Crowd was awesome.  First two matches were amazing.  Women's match was alright/good.  Black/Sullivan someone messed up on that kick lol.  Pretty sure it was Lars, but other than that it was fine.  And no words for the final match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GGajewski18 said:

Went to NXT last night and it was just amazing.  Crowd was awesome.  First two matches were amazing.  Women's match was alright/good.  Black/Sullivan someone messed up on that kick lol.  Pretty sure it was Lars, but other than that it was fine.  And no words for the final match.

Gargano/Ciampa is best WWE storyline since Punk/MITB and up there with Bret v Owen

48 minutes ago, Brian said:

And Ronda is good.

Yes, and as for Alexa....

overall, happy I didn't spend the money to go to this. Men's mitb wasn't memorable 

Edited by fathom

My bet is on Alexa Bliss to win the next Royal Rumble, even if she is already the champion.

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

My bet is on Alexa Bliss to win the next Royal Rumble, even if she is already the champion.

I assume you mean the men's?  If so, I agree

You guys are gonna piss off Y2HH. 😁

If she looks the way she does, It doesn't bother me if she is awkward sometimes.

NXT Takeover - Even with a meh card, the matches performed extremely well (as usual). I am a huge fan of the story and matches of Gargano/Ciampa, but the overall feud seems to be dragging to die. Matches are phenomenal, so w.e.

MITB - I wasn't able to watch this (kinda glad I didn't). The matches seem on par (based off what I read) with the normal WWE PPV quality. WWE PPV Matches these days seem to do the same formula over and over.... hit some moves in the early opening (slow going), build up to a fast pace, hit some finishers, and build to an eventful finish. While that is nice and all, it's very repetitive. They need more spice in their shows.

The booking decisions were good last night. Albeit, they booked themselves horribly going into it. Having Bliss win and interupt Ronda/Nia's match was the smart thing to do to avoid Ronda or Nia as champion. Having Ellsworth cost Asuka the match was a good way to keep Asuka strong against a very weak Carmella. Having Strowman win is a great step towards possibly dethroning the useless beast in Brock Lesnar (and NOT having Reigns face Lesnar : Note reigns is DONE). Having Lashley destroy Zayn was the right choice due to their storyline. 

Maybe it's a step in the right direction, but man things were bad going into this PPV.

I guess it looks like I am in the minority that thought it was a pretty good show.  I was very much entertained in all of the matches.  I do agree that the men's MITB was not memorable.