2018-19 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2018 -> 10:37 AM)
Also just saw a kid from my high school, Ryan Taylor, is going to grad transfer to Northwestern. He had interest from IU, Purdue, Mizzou, and UCLA to start with. Average 21.2 PPG last year.

Illinois had a ton of interest in him and apparently vice versa, but Illinois has a staffer that used to coach him and the NCAA rejected their appeal to the rule that doesn't allow that. Fair ruling by the NCAA but still sucks.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 9, 2018 -> 10:59 AM)
Illinois had a ton of interest in him and apparently vice versa, but Illinois has a staffer that used to coach him and the NCAA rejected their appeal to the rule that doesn't allow that. Fair ruling by the NCAA but still sucks.

He's going to balance the floor really nicely up there. He can score off of the bounce and has a really nice outside game. Also can drive whenever he wants, though he is kind of passive in his game.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2018 -> 10:30 AM)
Just saw that CJ Walker is transferring from Florida State to Ohio State. Got to see the kid in high school. Should be a really good Big 10 guard.

We need dudes. Holtman followed that up with a 5 star recruit so he is rolling.

• 5 months later...
15 hours ago, Brian said:

EJ Liddell goes OSU over Illinois 

Would have been nice to have him...but never really had a good feeling about his recruitment.  Illini really need to land one of the bigs moreso than anything.  One of Tshiebwe, Cockburn, Timme or Jitoboh.  Tshiebwe is a pipedream IMO...but would be ideal.  Cockburn would be fantastic...as would Timme.

I want to believe in Underwood but not sure he can build a program.  This class is so important to the programs future, the staff can’t screw it up and it’s gone about as poorly as it could.  

If he coaches this team to the tournament this year then I’ll be a firm believer but if he misses it then the recruiting momentum will be crushed.  

2 hours ago, bigruss said:

I want to believe in Underwood but not sure he can build a program.  This class is so important to the programs future, the staff can’t screw it up and it’s gone about as poorly as it could.  

If he coaches this team to the tournament this year then I’ll be a firm believer but if he misses it then the recruiting momentum will be crushed.  

the talent level of this team...athletically is night and day what it's been in the past.  Tevian Jones...and Ayo...and I think Griffin is a sleeper.  This is Underwood's 2nd full season and he's still trying to get his type of players.  The culture is changing.  I'm willing to give him benefit of the doubt.   Need a few more horses tho.  If they get Shannon and one of the bigs...that's another solid building block.

Eh don't think it's too early, Underwood has zero evidence of being able to build a program.  He sure could win with other coaches' recruits.

I'm not saying it's a done deal he won't succeed at Illinois but if we have another 14 win type season that is a TOUGH sell to recruits.  I personally think people are way to high on this class as well, I love Ayo and Jones and think we got some sleepers but people are acting like some 3 star freshmen bigs are going to make an impact in the Big Ten.  I just don't see that happening.

Again, if Underwood can reach the tournament with this squad than I'm a firm believer that he can coach at such a high level it will overcome the recruiting flaws, but I have doubts at the moment.

6 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Eh don't think it's too early, Underwood has zero evidence of being able to build a program.  He sure could win with other coaches' recruits.

I'm not saying it's a done deal he won't succeed at Illinois but if we have another 14 win type season that is a TOUGH sell to recruits.  I personally think people are way to high on this class as well, I love Ayo and Jones and think we got some sleepers but people are acting like some 3 star freshmen bigs are going to make an impact in the Big Ten.  I just don't see that happening.

Again, if Underwood can reach the tournament with this squad than I'm a firm believer that he can coach at such a high level it will overcome the recruiting flaws, but I have doubts at the moment.

I hear you but he had a complete roster turn over in two seasons. He has no bigs. As you say, they'll be relying on young guys in the frontcourt...a sure fire way to lose 10-12 games in the Big Ten. 

If they make the tournament I'll be stunned. I think a goal this year is to lose close and get close to .500 in the Big Ten. Their non-conference schedule is not going to be easy either. 

2 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I hear you but he had a complete roster turn over in two seasons. He has no bigs. As you say, they'll be relying on young guys in the frontcourt...a sure fire way to lose 10-12 games in the Big Ten. 

If they make the tournament I'll be stunned. I think a goal this year is to lose close and get close to .500 in the Big Ten. Their non-conference schedule is not going to be easy either. 

They'll have one of the best back courts in the BIG this year...if not these best.  Tevian Jones is the kind of athlete that hasn't been in an Illlini uniform for I don't know how long.  He's going to have a huge impact on this team.  From my understanding De La Rosa should be cleared by mid to end of November and will be a huge presence in the paint.  I know not many are counting on Kane...but if he can keep his fouling under control...having him and De La Rosa clogging the middle and swatting away shots will be something the Illini haven't had in quite a while too.  This team is honestly a solid 4 away from being a very good team IMO.

20 minutes ago, Wanne said:

They'll have one of the best back courts in the BIG this year...if not these best.  Tevian Jones is the kind of athlete that hasn't been in an Illlini uniform for I don't know how long.  He's going to have a huge impact on this team.  From my understanding De La Rosa should be cleared by mid to end of November and will be a huge presence in the paint.  I know not many are counting on Kane...but if he can keep his fouling under control...having him and De La Rosa clogging the middle and swatting away shots will be something the Illini haven't had in quite a while too.  This team is honestly a solid 4 away from being a very good team IMO.

You're talking about Illinois right?

2 hours ago, Brian said:

You're talking about Illinois right?

lol...I know right?  But with Trent Frazier, Ayo and Feliz...that's pretty solid. Young...but athletic and solid. 

I also think Alan Griffin is going to be an absolute recruiting steal as well.  We'll see...

Stop me if you've heard this story before...Illini in final 3 for Quincy Guerrier.  In home visit today...and OV tomorrow.  Apparently he hasn't committed yet to Oregon or Syracuse...so that's a good thing.  This guy is a top 50 wing and would be a massive get for the Illini.  Wonder if that's why Shannon hasn't committed yet?  But if the Illini do land Guerrier...and one of the bigs Tshiebwe, Cockburn, Timme, Jitoboh or Tre Mitchell...this will be a very very good team next year.   Losing what seemed to be a lock to Illinois Kahlil Whitney really sucked.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:00 PM, Wanne said:

lol...I know right?  But with Trent Frazier, Ayo and Feliz...that's pretty solid. Young...but athletic and solid. 

I also think Alan Griffin is going to be an absolute recruiting steal as well.  We'll see...

I really think we are overselling out backcourt, I think it's good but it really shouldn't be in top in the nation type conversations.  Next year?  Maybe depending on how some of these guys prove themselves.

9 hours ago, Wanne said:

Stop me if you've heard this story before...Illini in final 3 for Quincy Guerrier.  In home visit today...and OV tomorrow.  Apparently he hasn't committed yet to Oregon or Syracuse...so that's a good thing.  This guy is a top 50 wing and would be a massive get for the Illini.  Wonder if that's why Shannon hasn't committed yet?  But if the Illini do land Guerrier...and one of the bigs Tshiebwe, Cockburn, Timme, Jitoboh or Tre Mitchell...this will be a very very good team next year.   Losing what seemed to be a lock to Illinois Kahlil Whitney really sucked.

I really like Guerrier more than Shannon, TSJ is a boom or bust type player IMO.  Hoping we hit it big this weekend, build some momentum and hope Oscar can choose the school he wants to go to.

31 minutes ago, bigruss said:

I really think we are overselling out backcourt, I think it's good but it really shouldn't be in top in the nation type conversations.  Next year?  Maybe depending on how some of these guys prove themselves.

i said BIG...but honestly....Feliz is going to impress people. Yeah...next year possibly one of the best in the nation.

32 minutes ago, bigruss said:

I really like Guerrier more than Shannon, TSJ is a boom or bust type player IMO.  Hoping we hit it big this weekend, build some momentum and hope Oscar can choose the school he wants to go to.

Oh no doubt on QG...if the Illini land him...having him and Tevian on the court at the same time...damn.  But gotta have a big!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Definite game changer and bad for college hoops. But I think the NBA is going to let kids in from high school within the next couple of years anyway so maybe not.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

You can make close to that much money at a big time college program, where you would get way more hype and exposure and girls than the D-league, I don't know if it would entice the super top recruits.  Definitely more mid-range kids though.