2018-19 NCAA Basketball thread

9 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:

I don't think he will.  He's good, but not NBA good right now.  Late first round, 2nd round project.  

He can't really create on his own and not that fast or athletic.  Needs to improve on that to have a chance in the NBA.

He's a first round pick. He's likely gone.

15 hours ago, Boogua said:

The fire Underwood group has gotten pretty quiet.

Nah, I was just tired of repeating myself. I said earlier that if the team didn't show improvement this year Whitman should move on from Underwood. Thankfully, there are signs of improvement, most notably with Giorgi and Ayo. Even guys like Feliz and De La Rosa have looked a lot better as the season has progressed. 

There is also ample regression though - I just do not understand how Kipper Nichols is so bad given his athleticism/body. Same with Damonte Williams. 

While I'm thrilled with the result, last night could have very easily ended in the same way about 8 games this year have - an epic 2nd half collapse. MSU went on a 22-5 run. Illinois went without a basket for over 8 minutes. They got two huge buckets from Ayo and made a couple of key defensive stops. Kudos to the the team for not quitting on the season and for continuing to get better and learn from some of those painful early season mistakes. 

I'm still not 100% sold on Underwood though. What good to great coach out there has a team that goes on 5-8 minute droughts nearly every game? Yes, it's a young team, but come on, at least manufacture some points. You should be able to do that at the collegiate level. I hope i'm wrong. I hope he gets his guys and builds his system and it works. I'll happily admit I was wrong if it works out.

18 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

There is also ample regression though - I just do not understand how Kipper Nichols is so bad given his athleticism/body. Same with Damonte Williams. 

Kipper is capable of playing better than he has so far this year but neither of those guys are special athletes and Damonte isn't skilled at all so I'm not surprised he hasn't produced more.

11 hours ago, BigSexy23 said:

If Kansas loses one more game, this will be the first time in Bill Self's tenure at KU that they will lose 5 conference games in a season.

The Big 12 is a beautiful mess and Iowa State has a very real chance to win the league.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 6:33 AM, AustinIllini said:

He's a first round pick. He's likely gone.

Would you be willing to wager on this? I mean, I love Ayo but he's a ball dominant guard that isn't a good shooter and isn't an above the rim athlete. His game doesn't translate quite yet 

14 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

@NorthSideSox72 you buying or selling on the Clones? 

Most computer metrics have ISU winning the Big 12. That of course means winning out at home (Tech, Bay, OU, TCU) and probably winning two of @KSU, @TCU, @Texas and @WVU. They're 7-3 in the Big 12 and 8 points from 10-0. 

Vick now out for Kansas as well

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Vick now out for Kansas as well

THT seems to have gotten over his midseason slump. He's essentially our 4, but he's going to be a small 4 and hang out behind the arc. Thankfully we have started to allow him to initiate some offense and he often times ends up being guarded by guys that can't stay in front of him. He's starting to transition from the guy in high school that no one can guard to making good choices within the offense.

28 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

@NorthSideSox72 you buying or selling on the Clones? 

Most computer metrics have ISU winning the Big 12. That of course means winning out at home (Tech, Bay, OU, TCU) and probably winning two of @KSU, @TCU, @Texas and @WVU. They're 7-3 in the Big 12 and 8 points from 10-0. 

Looking at the remaining schedules for the teams in the mix, if I had to put down money on one team, I'd buy ISU. But its messy enough I'd take The Field if that were an option.

Clones are hitting a stride which is great, but they are still so young and inconsistent. Fun season so far though.

3 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

Looking at the remaining schedules for the teams in the mix, if I had to put down money on one team, I'd buy ISU. But its messy enough I'd take The Field if that were an option.

Clones are hitting a stride which is great, but they are still so young and inconsistent. Fun season so far though.

Been interesting to watch this year. Teams are starting to zone ISU a bit and daring them to shoot to beat them - which then comes down to if we are hitting from 3. That being said, Prohm has brought them from last place last year to likely being a top 15 team as long as they beat TCU on Saturday. He got THT out of Chicago and somehow managed to identify Haliburton, who, I don't know if you watched much, but totally outperforms his stats and is 4th in the country in assist/turnover ratio. The team is frustrating sometimes but is actually pretty consistently good.

1 minute ago, Heads22 said:

Been interesting to watch this year. Teams are starting to zone ISU a bit and daring them to shoot to beat them - which then comes down to if we are hitting from 3. That being said, Prohm has brought them from last place last year to likely being a top 15 team as long as they beat TCU on Saturday. He got THT out of Chicago and somehow managed to identify Haliburton, who, I don't know if you watched much, but totally outperforms his stats and is 4th in the country in assist/turnover ratio. The team is frustrating sometimes but is actually pretty consistently good.

I've been very impressed with the recruiting. Again, I admit i am not a deep expert in this stuff and I've only watched a handful of the games this year, but... I was worried after the last of Hoiberg's recruits were leaving and ISU was falling back, that there just wouldn't be much of a bounceback. Clearly I was wrong. There's a lot of talent on this team and a lot of it is in the underclassmen, which is encouraging too.

23 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

I've been very impressed with the recruiting. Again, I admit i am not a deep expert in this stuff and I've only watched a handful of the games this year, but... I was worried after the last of Hoiberg's recruits were leaving and ISU was falling back, that there just wouldn't be much of a bounceback. Clearly I was wrong. There's a lot of talent on this team and a lot of it is in the underclassmen, which is encouraging too.

I guess the best way to put it is their KenPom ranking is higher than any Iowa State team since 2002, including every Hoiberg team.....which is good. I also forgot to mention that Haliburton is #1 in the country in offensive efficiency. Which is also good. Really good. Some might argue its the best.

28 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

I guess the best way to put it is their KenPom ranking is higher than any Iowa State team since 2002, including every Hoiberg team.....which is good. I also forgot to mention that Haliburton is #1 in the country in offensive efficiency. Which is also good. Really good. Some might argue its the best.

I agree. Number one is the best. I would argue that.

I did look up both Sagarin and KenPom the other day and saw them in the 12-14 range on both. Yet AP still had them like 17 or 19 at the time.

Anyway, this is a high ceiling team that could, if they keep a hot hand, make a deep run in March.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Boogua said:

Would you be willing to wager on this? I mean, I love Ayo but he's a ball dominant guard that isn't a good shooter and isn't an above the rim athlete. His game doesn't translate quite yet 

This draft is perceived as weak.  Don't get me wrong, I think Ayo could stand to stay another  year in Champaign, but experts seem to have him in the top 25.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

ESPN had him around 23rd, IIRC

That mock is also crap and is missing some obvious players.  I love Ayo and he will be NBA player but I don't think it will be this year.  I haven't seen him mocked in the first by anyone else.  That mock is missing at least the following guys altogether:

• Simi Shittu
  • Charles Bassey
  • Bruno Fernando
  • Moses Brown
  • Jalen Smith
  • Naz Reid

I think the best he can hope for is one team really liking him and telling him they will take him in the first but that is also incredibly risky. 

On 2/8/2019 at 4:37 PM, whitesoxfan99 said:

That mock is also crap and is missing some obvious players.  I love Ayo and he will be NBA player but I don't think it will be this year.  I haven't seen him mocked in the first by anyone else.  That mock is missing at least the following guys altogether:

• Simi Shittu
  • Charles Bassey
  • Bruno Fernando
  • Moses Brown
  • Jalen Smith
  • Naz Reid

I think the best he can hope for is one team really liking him and telling him they will take him in the first but that is also incredibly risky. 

How is Charles Bassey not on there haha

On 2/1/2019 at 6:43 PM, LittleHurt05 said:

Kansas is as dirty as it gets, but it's pretty ridiculous that a kid cant play for two years ago because his "guardian" pocketed $2,500. And the kid came from Africa a few years ago solely for basketball.

Wow, De Sousa was a bargain.

Adidas coughed up $100,000 to get Romeo Langford to go to Indiana.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:05 AM, Boogua said:

I wonder if Illinois would still have gone after Giorgi if they didn't miss on Castleton. That might end up being one of the most fortunate recruiting misses in Illinois history.

I’m not sure they even see him, pretty sure they saw him because they were scouting other players in New York and he happened to be on the opponents team.

What a blown chance by Michigan. With Purdue losing, they would've been in control of the conference if they beat PSU, even with a brutal rest of the schedule.I

Few guys buy into their own hype, run their mouths, then turtle up in games. They could be a 4 or 5 seed that gets upset in the first round and I wouldn't be shocked.