2018-19 NCAA Basketball thread

50 minutes ago, Brian said:

What a blown chance by Michigan. With Purdue losing, they would've been in control of the conference if they beat PSU, even with a brutal rest of the schedule.I

Few guys buy into their own hype, run their mouths, then turtle up in games. They could be a 4 or 5 seed that gets upset in the first round and I wouldn't be shocked.

They didn't impress against Iowa either...other than that dude with the foreign name, Brazdeikis.

Also, no Duke/Coach K hype after last night?

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

They didn't impress against Iowa either...other than that dude with the foreign name, Brazdeikis.

Also, no Duke/Coach K hype after last night?

The Wisconsin and Iowa losses were meh. Both tough road games. Iggy is one of the guys that disappears after flexing and running his mouth. Disappears often.

On 2/8/2019 at 8:55 AM, BigSexy23 said:

According to ESPN's BPI right now the cyclones are supposed to win out 

Well that didn't work out so well. This team is frustrating. Just when they look like they should make a run at the top 10, they lose at HOME to TCU. And the game wasn't even all that close until near the end.

Just now, NorthSideSox72 said:

Well that didn't work out so well. This team is frustrating. Just when they look like they should make a run at the top 10, they lose at HOME to TCU. And the game wasn't even all that close until near the end.

All TCU did all game long was set a high screen and we looked absolutely befuddled

35 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

This ISU team plays really young. I mean they also are pretty young, but perhaps they play even more so due to a couple key guys being out in the early going.

Wigginton is a terrible defender and its really hurt at times.

3 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

It's not going to happen, but....they're 10-15. 6 games left. @Wis, PSU, @Pur, NW, IN, @PSU. Let's say they go 5-1 and end up at 11-9 in conference and 15-16 for the season. Two wins in the tourney to make them 17-17....Bubble team?

Their only hope is to win the Big 10 Tournament. 

Meanwhile, this Ohio State team has been so hit or miss this year and frustrating to watch.  I thought Keyshawn Woods was going to bring so much to the table this year but has a habit of dribbling himself to a corner in close games.  This team turns the ball over way too much.  Tough remaining schedule, have to win both against Northwestern, and steal at least 2 of the 5 remaining against ranked B1G teams.  Sadly, just not sure if they can do it.  Losing Potter right before the season killed our depth and the second KWesson gets in foul trouble we get in trouble.  I had very low expectations coming into this year so a tourney bid would be a success but I just don't see it with last night's loss. 

Congrats to you Illini guys though, you are playing great basketball, and it's nice to see it looking like the program is making the turn. 

38 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

It's not going to happen, but....they're 10-15. 6 games left. @Wis, PSU, @Pur, NW, IN, @PSU. Let's say they go 5-1 and end up at 11-9 in conference and 15-16 for the season. Two wins in the tourney to make them 17-17....Bubble team?

No prayer

58 minutes ago, Jenksismyhero said:

19-16 would get them in. Anything less would be tough. I could see an argument at 18-17 with all the good wins theyd have. Going to be unlikely they get there regardless. 

1 hour ago, Jenksismyhero said:

No chance.  But if they go 4-2 in their last 6 and win one or two Big 10 tournament games, they can definitely get into the NIT because they've been one of the better teams and tournaments love hot teams.

I think there's a chance, only because if they do finish at 11-9 they could finish 6th in the conference, if not 5th. If they make it to the tourney final they would have to beat a couple other bubble teams to get there. Would the committee really put in an average (and tanking) OSU or Minnesota team with a worse conference record and an early tourney exist over a team that finishes like 14-2 to finish the season? Who has a .500ish record against a brutal schedule?

I mean there's no way they're going to finish the season like this, I fully realize that, but it's fun to dream.

On 2/13/2019 at 4:23 PM, NorthSideSox72 said:

I wish I had posted it here, but I was telling another fellow ISU alumnus during the week, put money on ISU to beat a ranked KSU team on the road. After that TCU mess. It was just so predictable. Sure enough, boom.

I guess they are still in the thick of it for the conference title with 6 to play. Along with 5 other teams.

Such a winnable game tonight for the Illini which was frustrating. That sequence towards the end of the 1st half was a kick in the nut sac and such a huge pt swing.  Wisky gets a bailout phantom call as shot clock expired. Dude makes two FTs.  Frazier misses as easy a bunny as you'll ever see.  Wisky hits a 3 after Frazier's miss.   Not sure why they didn't take the ball to the basket more in the first half when they went stone cold. 

Can't wait til the big boys get here next year.

Credit to Wisconsin coach for pulling Happ, as he was awful in the 2nd half.  Illinois should have been up double digits at the half considering how poorly Wisconsin shot to start the game (on wide open attempts).  Both Illini guards desperately need to improve their mid-range game, especially Frazier.

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Holy S*** Zion tore up his knee after his foot ripped through the side of his shoe

All the more reason why professional athletes have to take the guaranteed money (and as much of it as possible)...because of fluke things like this. 

Imagine he'll still get drafted in the top 3 overall, yes?

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

All the more reason why professional athletes have to take the guaranteed money (and as much of it as possible)...because of fluke things like this. 

Imagine he'll still get drafted in the top 3 overall, yes?

Doesn’t sound serious thankfully