White Sox vs Rays 1:10 pm

Kyyle23

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 02:55 PM)
Too many walks, way too few strikeouts from the starters. Oh well, at least Kopech/Cease/Dunning have looked good and Lopez looks great

Yes, but even Lopez was walking too many guys. I think they will improve.

There is nothing worse than watching a walk a thon.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 02:58 PM)
Looking at it on paper, a home stand against a bad Detroit team, and an even worse Tampa Bay team, looked like a way to build on the 3-2 road trip start.

Shows what I know, I guess.

They played a bad KC team, and lost 2 out of 3 to a decent Toronto team. I do think this is how this will probably go for a while. I also wouldn't be surprised if they play some good teams really tough. I am expecting a rollercoaster ride for at least most of this season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 02:58 PM)
Reading a game thread only confirms that White Sox fans can't handle an actual rebuild.

Which is an indictment on the fanbase. If the fanbase can't handle a rebuild, we get more stretches like 2013-16 which is the blueprint for perpetual mediocrity.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 02:56 PM)
I'm honestly not overly alarmed by this kind of outing from Fulmer. It's obviously not good but I knew he was going to fight his command a lot and that's what this was. I'm encouraged because his stuff looked good and they struggled to square him up. I'm prepared for much of his season to be filled with this kind of inconsistency.

I'm not either. We kinda knew what to expect and honestly he's been better than I thought he'd be. Not too happy with his inconsistency. And I know Coop knows what he's doing with him. I hate that little "glove pat"...or whatever in his delivery. He's destined to the bullpen tho at some point.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 07:55 PM)
Repeat after me: player development is not a linear function. There are zero guarantees that these guys come up and become stars right away. That is more rare than your typical player development function which is more like a sinusoidal function. Full of peaks and valleys.

If you're referring to Fulmer, he's been bad since 2016 everywhere he's gone

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 03:58 PM)
Reading a game thread only confirms that White Sox fans can't handle an actual rebuild.

Why does it seem like last year was easier to stomach in the moment than this one? At least, that's what it feels like to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 02:51 PM)
If you're not ready to accept some struggles from Carson Fulmer this year I don't know what to tell you. There's a talented pitcher in there, but I'd wager he winds up with an ERA above 5.00 this year. We're trying to undo the damage we did to him in 2016, so that's our penance.

I went back and looked it up. Carson Fulmer still has less than 300 total innings pitched in professional baseball since he was drafted in 2015. Essentially he is somewhere around A+ and AA in terms of reps. It shouldn't be shocking that he is pretty inconsistent.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 03:04 PM)
Why does it seem like last year was easier to stomach in the moment than this one? At least, that's what it feels like to me.

I think the first couple games made many of us forget they are still in the middle of a rebuild, and there still is a lot of work to be done.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 03:04 PM)

Because it seems many posters thought rebuild meant 1 year and this year theyd be in the playoff hunt.

Not sure why, but it really does appear that people thought this team was going to win a lot of games.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 03:03 PM)
If you're referring to Fulmer, he's been bad since 2016 everywhere he's gone

No I'm referring to everyone. Fulmer, Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, Rodon, etc. With all of them it seems like there will be games where they look like a future star and games where they look like a complete bust.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 07:58 PM)

This is very true. We knew and were warned that we would experience these ups and downs during the rebuild. Plus it’s still so very early in the season

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 02:58 PM)

It’s not a contest to be more cool and level headed as the next person. You can watch and get frustrated while knowing this season means nothing. Most people know that. But you’re the coolest. Congratulations.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 04:06 PM)
Because it seems many posters thought rebuild meant 1 year and this year theyd be in the playoff hunt.

Not sure why, but it really does appear that people thought this team was going to win a lot of games.

Like the previous poster said, the first couple games probably made us all forget this was a rebuild. Makes sense, especially with the fans expectations of hitting .500

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 03:07 PM)
It’s not a contest to be more cool and level headed as the next person. You can watch and get frustrated while knowing this season means nothing. Most people know that. But you’re the coolest. Congratulations.

game threads are 100% a vent zone. SS2K should know that, as a long time forum admin.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 04:07 PM)

Yeah, exactly. I'm pretty sure 99% of SoxTalk posters realize that this is a season of no expectations. That doesn't mean we don't get frustrated with bad play, clueless strategy ABs, boneheaded fielding gaffes, etc...

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 04:07 PM)
I guess I get it, but as I've asked a few times in other threads...what did people expect this to look like? Hahn and Co. basically came out and said this was going to be another down year. It was going to get worse before it got better. When you flip that reset switch, baseball has shown us it takes 2-3 seasons (hopefully). This is Year 2 of that.

What I will say is I really believe in August, this team will be a lot more fun to watch.

Do you really think that Kopech and Eloy will make that much of a difference though? I understand being excited to see them make their debuts and what not, but as far as team development goes, not sure it will be much more than what we are currently seeing. Unless this team gradually gets better as the year plays on.

I guess I also forgot about Rodon. Still though.

Edited by Scoots