Abreu and the Hall of Fame

Greg Hibbard

Vitrol? Yeah, can't say I see that. I think the takes have been pretty realistic. No one he is saying he sucks, or is even average, but Hall of Fame is a whole other level.

When I close my eyes and squint at the future of Jose Abreu, I see a Harold Baines ceiling. Maybe a few big years, a lot of consistency, but nothing that stands out and makes HOF voters go WOW. Call it a 5-10% HOF vote, tops.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 01:00 PM)
Vitrol? Yeah, can't say I see that. I think the takes have been pretty realistic. No one he is saying he sucks, or is even average, but Hall of Fame is a whole other level.

When I close my eyes and squint at the future of Jose Abreu, I see a Harold Baines ceiling. Maybe a few big years, a lot of consistency, but nothing that stands out and makes HOF voters go WOW. Call it a 5-10% HOF vote, tops.

Yes, vitriol. As I mentioned, I'm referencing the links in the thread above. Ron883 saying Abreu was DFA worthy based on 100PA last year is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on this site.

What's up with this guy having absolutely horrendous starts to the season? His numbers are DFA worthy. He's already worth -0.6 WAR! Just awful. Maybe they shouldn't play him until June. Is it safe to say he's been figured out?

But yes, I have been saying it since last year. People tore into me for saying it, but it turns out I was right. Jose isn't the same as he was. The league has adjusted to him, and his age has something to do with it in sure. The dude just has no pop in his bat anymore. Huge disappointment. Reminds me of gordo's great start and disappointing finish.
Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 02:23 PM)
Yes, vitriol. As I mentioned, I'm referencing the links in the thread above. Ron883 saying Abreu was DFA worthy based on 100PA last year is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on this site.

So you are taking one person's words and applying it to the entire site? Yeah, that tells me what this conversation is worth.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 02:30 PM)
So you are taking one person's words and applying it to the entire site? Yeah, that tells me what this conversation is worth.

In my original post, I said "a handful of people". It isn't just Ron883, there are others too. I can pull them up if I need to prove my case, but I'm not applying it to the entire site at all. I never said that. Why are you twisting my words?

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 10, 2018 -> 11:33 AM)
http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/...-in-cooperstown

This article on ESPN today gives no mention of Jose Abreu.

Yes, yes - I know - it's ESPN, and they love ignoring the White Sox at every turn.

I also know that Abreu started old, and has borderline numbers with an expected dropoff as he gets older.

Nevertheless, I think this is an interesting question - if Jose has 6 more years identical to the average of the previous 4, how borderline is he then? I don't think that's necessary unrealistic.

An .882 OPS puts him in the top 100 all time in that category, and he'd have 300 homers, 350 doubles and a .300 batting average with 1000 RBIs. Would he be close? Or just in the hall of "very good"?

Abreu will not come close to sniffing the hall of fame due to his late arrival. Non discussion really even if he puts up another great 6-8 seasons.