Hot Takes after 10 Full Games

Chicago White Sox

Now that we're 10 games deep into this lovely season, I'd thought it would be fun to see some takes on players based on this incredibly small sample size. I'll obviously go first with a couple.

1) Carson Fulmer is NOT a starter but should be a very good reliever

2) Matt Davidson has actually figured s*** out & will be a solid DH option

3) Reynaldo Lopez is going to pitch like a legit #3 starter this season

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 08:19 AM)
Now that we're 10 games deep into this lovely season, I'd thought it would be fun to see some takes on players based on this incredibly small sample size. I'll obviously go first with a couple.

1) Carson Fulmer is NOT a starter but should be a very good reliever

2) Matt Davidson has actually figured s*** out & will be a solid DH option

3) Reynaldo Lopez is going to pitch like a legit #3 starter this season

4) We're seeing exactly why we are more likely to be under .500 this season than over .500 (not sure why some people on here expected the latter coming in).

Edited by soxfan2014

Delmonico looks brutal in LF. But I still have faith that he becomes just below average instead of a straight up butcher.

He is athletic enough to not be an embarassment there and he is still learning on the job,

I like him as a long term bench bat and spot starter at LF/1B/DH. Like a Matt Stairs type of player.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 09:18 AM)
The bullpen sucks.

Agreed, this bullpen is hot garbage right now.

Fortunately, we do have a slew of interesting arms in the minors right now who should be ready to contribute soon. We still will need to add some veteran bullpen help in the offseason.

i think this team is gonna have two personalities. The first one will be what we see now, a team that most likely would win 69-75 games. Flashes from young players like Anderson, Yolmer, Reylo and Gio. And the second one will be after the bad to mediocre(Gonzalez, Shields, infante, Engel, Saladino etc) is moved out and Jimenez, Kopech, Viera, etc come up. I really dont know what to expect when that happens, but I think it will be a lot more exciting when it happens

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 10:52 AM)
I failed the hot take test. :(

your take wasnt even luke warm. Shame

Hot take: Castillo's defensive gains last year have regressed and Omar will end up year the superior catcher.

Can't stand the amount of past balls from him where he's just straight up stabbing and missing with his mit.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 10:57 AM)
i think this team is gonna have two personalities. The first one will be what we see now, a team that most likely would win 69-75 games. Flashes from young players like Anderson, Yolmer, Reylo and Gio. And the second one will be after the bad to mediocre(Gonzalez, Shields, infante, Engel, Saladino etc) is moved out and Jimenez, Kopech, Viera, etc come up. I really dont know what to expect when that happens, but I think it will be a lot more exciting when it happens

your take wasnt even luke warm. Shame

I said it in the preseason predictions thread and I said it again. This team will be streaky. They will look like a playoff team at times, and they will look like a replacement level team at others. This is basically a team loaded with interns, has been's, and could be's. The bulk of the rebuild still isn't here yet. It is a process, not a sprint.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 08:55 AM)
FWIW, if you take out opening day, Matt Davidson is 4-26, 1 HR, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 8 BB, 12K, .308 slg, .371 opb, .679 OPS.

100% fair response, but that’s why it’s called a hot take. The walk rate has been ridiculous and is making me question my own pessimism towards Matt. I’m hopeful that when the weather heats up the power will return. And I’m not suggesting Davidson will ever be a star (he won’t), but potentially a serviceable DH option. Just two weeks ago he was the one guy on the roster I wish wasn’t on it, so this is as hot of a take as I could come up with.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 01:42 PM)
Hot Take:

Carson ends up a formidable #5 pitcher by year's end

Definitely think Fulmer is a ML starter but what do we think about pushing him back to the 'pen where he could be a star? Obviously the SP depth here is ridiculous as well

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 11:26 AM)
100% fair response, but that’s why it’s called a hot take. The walk rate has been ridiculous and is making me question my own pessimism towards Matt. I’m hopeful that when the weather heats up the power will return. And I’m not suggesting Davidson will ever be a star (he won’t), but potentially a serviceable DH option. Just two weeks ago he was the one guy on the roster I wish wasn’t on it, so this is as hot of a take as I could come up with.

If he is taking walks one of two things is going to happen. Either he is still hitting sparsely and they quit walking him, or he starts to get better pitches to hit and takes off.

It should be interesting.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 12:55 PM)
Definitely think Fulmer is a ML starter but what do we think about pushing him back to the 'pen where he could be a star? Obviously the SP depth here is ridiculous as well

Give him the innings for now. There’s no rush in making a decision. Even with Rodon coming back at some point and Kopech a mid-season call-up, he can have a spot in the rotation until one of Stephens, Adams, Guerrero, or Hansen says otherwise.