UPDATE: Volstad called up, Infante reassigned to AAA

bmags

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 07:27 PM)
Is there a service time issue with calling Vieira this early? He has 1 game pitched in MLB with Seattle last year, August 14th

He’s missed the first 14 days of this season and you only have to miss 11 I believe to count less than a full season, so we should be good even the one day from last year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 07:55 PM)
I would think Gomez (or Ross Jr.)...just to see if he has anything left, then they move on to the more legit prospects.

Isn’t the 40 man roster full at the moment? If so, that would definitely make Vieira the favorite. Plus they may not want eight men in the pen long-term, so I doubt they add another guy without options after calling up Rondon.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 11:14 PM)
in like 3 games but sure

Well, 5 games. He has five less AB’s than Engel, who’s been “better” on a bigger stage. But I see your point.

Still, I doubt they’re going to bring him up while sending Infante down. Wouldn’t make much sense in terms of the roster, and he has been bad - SSS or not. I like Cordell, but the timing would be odd to say the least.

Edited by Blackout Friday

Volstad is a potential bring him up, see if he can stick around, then flip him at the deadline. It will cost nothing to bring him up. I reckon it will be a right handed reliever which would be him or Vieira.

The only other thought may be someone like Gonzalez or Austin to cover the injury to Castillo, if it is more serious than they first thought.

QUOTE (glangon @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 07:00 AM)
Volstad is a potential bring him up, see if he can stick around, then flip him at the deadline. It will cost nothing to bring him up. I reckon it will be a right handed reliever which would be him or Vieira.

The only other thought may be someone like Gonzalez or Austin to cover the injury to Castillo, if it is more serious than they first thought.

Not to be a dick, but Volstad is terrible and does not warrant a call up. I know he had a nice spring, but his role is to be the rubber arm in AAA and help protect us from having to use kids in unfavorable spots. I really don’t think he’s major league reliever material and I certainly don’t think you’ll get anything for him even if things go right because his upside is so low.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 01:40 PM)
Not to be a dick, but Volstad is terrible and does not warrant a call up. I know he had a nice spring, but his role is to be the rubber arm in AAA and help protect us from having to use kids in unfavorable spots. I really don’t think he’s major league reliever material and I certainly don’t think you’ll get anything for him even if things go right because his upside is so low.

I don't think he is major league material either. We are in a rebuild mode though, bringing him up could flick a switch for him. Who knows? The great spring could turn him into a few good innings as a reliever. He can't be worse than some of the donkeys we've had in the pen so far this year.