White Sox @ Twins 4/12

Jose Abreu

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 07:52 PM)
Yoan is fouling off too many fastballs over the plate instead of squaring up.

But he leads the league in exit velocity

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 07:52 PM)
We traded Chris Sale for this guy?

He is doing his best

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 07:52 PM)
Yoan needs a day off or something

He’s 22 from Cuba. You expect him to hit in this weather?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 07:51 PM)
Was his velocity better to start last year? Don't think so

Even last season toward the end there were 94-95 mph pitches mixed in there. They were rare, but they existed.

IMO 23 year old pitchers don't go from averaging 95 to averaging 91 without being injured.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 07:48 PM)
Sure. But I’m not a huge sabes guy. What does that mean and how does it negate whiffing 35% of the time? My lasting viewpoint, FWIW, is that hitting it hard doesnt mean much when you often don’t hit it at all. Not that revolutionary, but it doesn’t seem like Benetti agrees.

Basically, xWOBA tracks how hard he hits the ball, its launch angle, and gets a percentage of hit probability based on that data. If xWOBA is higher than wOBA, which weights the actual results of batted balls rather than the stats behind it, it generally means the player has been unlucky. In Moncada's case, the discrepancy is pretty big, so stats like average/OBP/OPS will increase in due time.

It doesn't necessarily "negate" the strikeouts. I agree that he strikes out too much. But even with a 35% or so strikeout rate, I think he will still be a good player when you factor in his defense and hitting. As the years go by, I also expect that 35% figure to drop, too. It will take time