White Sox @ Twins 4/12

Jose Abreu

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 08:07 PM)
the velocity drop wouldn't be too concerning but FFS where is all this "stuff" he was supposed to have?

I gotta say that Parkman thread comparing his stuff too Floyd's looks absolute bonkers wrong right now.

As I said, he looks like James Shields.

I watched his spring start vs the Cubs and this looks like a completely different guy. I don't know what happened but he seems to have lost everything when he flew north. This guy looks worse than Shields if that is possible. He was back to mid 90s with the heater, was showing the wipeout curve and hitting his spots. I honestly don't know what happened to him.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 05:59 PM)
Basically, xWOBA tracks how hard he hits the ball, its launch angle, and gets a percentage of hit probability based on that data. If xWOBA is higher than wOBA, which weights the actual results of batted balls rather than the stats behind it, it generally means the player has been unlucky. In Moncada's case, the discrepancy is pretty big, so stats like average/OBP/OPS will increase in due time.

It doesn't necessarily "negate" the strikeouts. I agree that he strikes out too much. But even with a 35% or so strikeout rate, I think he will still be a good player when you factor in his defense and hitting. As the years go by, I also expect that 35% figure to drop, too. It will take time

Ok, that makes sense and I appreciate the explanation. Obviously, I would maintain that you can’t completely blame luck when the PA ends in a K so frequently, but that horse is very, very dead. I also think it’s hard to be even a good player with those kinds of K numbers, but that horse is dead too. If he can bring it down, I have a lot of confidence but that’s the part I’m worried about.

Although it does seem like he strikes out looking a LOT, which to me seems logical to expect that to drop as he gets used to the league and the zone and so forth. Would like to see some stats on that one.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 08:14 PM)
I watched his spring start vs the Cubs and this looks like a completely different guy. I don't know what happened but he seems to have lost everything when he flew north. This guy looks worse than Shields if that is possible. He was back to mid 90s with the heater, was showing the wipeout curve and hitting his spots. I honestly don't know what happened to him.

I agree, looks like a completely different pitcher.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 06:14 PM)
His arm is pretty bad TBH. He’s had a few embarrassing throws this season.

So his bat sucks, his arm sucks, but he’s fast and makes highlight reel catches every once in a while. Dewayne Wise did that just one time and I’ll remember his name forever as a result, but he wasn’t exactly a long term piece.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 08:18 PM)
So his bat sucks, his arm sucks, but he’s fast and makes highlight reel catches every once in a while. Dewayne Wise did that just one time and I’ll remember his name forever as a result, but he wasn’t exactly a long term piece.

I’d give Leury the job until someone from AAA shows they deserve a shot. Engel is never going to be a major league regular no matter how our org wishes it.