Schoenfield links Sox to Machado, Donaldson, Price

caulfield12

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 11:33 AM)
Harper- Cubs

Machado- Red Sox

Donaldson- Nationals

I just don't see Harper going to the Cubs. If they did they'd have to get rid of one of Bryant, Rizzo or Contreras, otherwise I'm not sure how they could have four $25M+ contracts.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 11:39 AM)
I just don't see Harper going to the Cubs. If they did they'd have to get rid of one of Bryant, Rizzo or Contreras, otherwise I'm not sure how they could have four $25M+ contracts.

And you're not even including Darvish, Lester or Heyward, which I think is their bigger problem.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 11:39 AM)

They wouldn't have to get rid of them. They just wouldn't be able to sign them all long-term. You'd have 3 years of Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras and Harper in the same lineup.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 11:50 AM)
They wouldn't have to get rid of them. They just wouldn't be able to sign them all long-term. You'd have 3 years of Bryant, Rizzo, Contreras and Harper in the same lineup.

I'd rather have Contreras, Rizzo and Bryant for 10 more years than those four for 3 years then to have only Bryant and Harper. IMO, Contreras is their MVP.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 11:50 AM)

Signing Harper would most certainly push them over the luxury tax threshold though for the next three years.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:50 AM)
Arenado does, and he'll be a UFA in 2020.

That's who I really want but I don't see the Sox winning that sweepstakes or very many other top tier free agents sweepstakes no matter how low the payroll . I'd take Rendon though. I actually see the Sox going after a top line starting pitcher. The starters still will be very young and working out the kinks still in 2020 if they can remain healthy and advance as most of us expect.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 11:53 AM)
Signing Harper would most certainly push them over the luxury tax threshold though for the next three years.

Harper going to a lot of teams certainly would. Exactly why the Dodgers are resetting their penalty this year by going under it: so they can try to sign one of the big names. Teams with money don't care about going over.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 10:39 AM)

He probably wants to be a Cub so they will make it happen. They can keep their core for 3 or 4 years with how deep their pockets are.