2018 Travel Thread

soxfan49

I just got back from a trip where we hit Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Petrified Forest, Flagstaff and then finished it off with a weekend in New Orleans for Wrestlemania.

It was a great trip and awesome to see so much of what this country has to offer.

Zion National Park was definitely the highlight. Hiking the narrows is unlike anything else you'll see, and Angel's Landing is quite a thrill as well. Bryce Canyon probably had the most stunning views. Its only about 80 miles away from Zion. If you have a chance to do a Zion trip with a day in Bryce, it would definitely be worth it.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:34 PM)
What’d you think of the Grand Canyon? I may be going this fall/winter

Grand Canyon is amazing. Definitely want to do some research if you plan on hiking all the way down, because some trails don't have water.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 04:17 PM)
I just got back from a trip where we hit Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands, Petrified Forest, Flagstaff and then finished it off with a weekend in New Orleans for Wrestlemania.

It was a great trip and awesome to see so much of what this country has to offer.

Zion National Park was definitely the highlight. Hiking the narrows is unlike anything else you'll see, and Angel's Landing is quite a thrill as well. Bryce Canyon probably had the most stunning views. Its only about 80 miles away from Zion. If you have a chance to do a Zion trip with a day in Bryce, it would definitely be worth it.

The narrows look pretty scary to me. Nowhere to go in a flash flood.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 03:33 PM)
Headed to San Diego & Anaheim/LA next month. Haven't been to San Diego but have heard great things, if anyone has suggestions for what to do in the evenings beside a baseball game let me know!

710 Beach Club (in SD) is a Chicago sports bar

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 02:55 AM)
Grand Canyon is amazing. Definitely want to do some research if you plan on hiking all the way down, because some trails don't have water.

Yeah, it is definitely worth the trip.

You can't hike to the bottom and back in one day.

The most popular trail is Angel's Landing and they have 3 total resthouses every 1.5 miles with water and restrooms. The water isnt turned on all year though.

We did 6 miles down and then back up. It was probably a little more than I would have wanted but we finished.

I love SWA. My only airline. I feel badly that the engine blew up today and one person has died and seven injured. Best wishes and prayers to all involved.

Like an unnamed comedian had in his act before he was disgraced, we take for granted sitting in a box barrelling through the sky at 575 miles an hour. It is a miracle that we can blaze through the sky as if we are stationary figures. I hope the airline industry continues to be careful with their planes. There are so few incidents they are still doing most things right. Mistakes in that business are life and death.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/southwest-airl...stream-updates/

• 2 weeks later...

We're staying a little closer to home this summer after our 8,000 mile roadtrip last summer. It's a coin flip between the Rockies and Smokey Mountains. I really love Memphis and Nashville for  the music but we're really wanting some quiet glamping time in our RV. 

I'm heading to Seattle for a wedding in July. Anyone have recommendations on things to do? I think we're going to go for 4-5 days, so we'll have a couple of days before and after the wedding to bum around.

I think we're going to try and drive out to Mt. Rainier, there are some wineries that we like that are based there....and then I guess the touristy stuff downtown? Maybe catch a ferry and check out the sights of Puget Sound too.

Edited by Jenksismyhero

Mt. Rainier is gorgeous and definitely worth the drive imo, even if you just want to spend a couple of hours around Paradise (main lodge/visitor's center area)

I'm sure BS can offer more recommendations, but there's a big central park area with lots of museums, restaurants, stores etc. You could always do a whale watching trip.

3 hours ago, Jenksismyhero said:

I'm heading to Seattle for a wedding in July. Anyone have recommendations on things to do? I think we're going to go for 4-5 days, so we'll have a couple of days before and after the wedding to bum around.

I think we're going to try and drive out to Mt. Rainier, there are some wineries that we like that are based there....and then I guess the touristy stuff downtown? Maybe catch a ferry and check out the sights of Puget Sound too.

Seattle is my second favorite city in the US. There's so much to do. One thing I will say- go to a game at Safeco. Great place to see a game.

If you're a coffee drinker, the original Starbucks is there, IIRC.

Heading to Eastern Europe via Copenhagen on Tuesday. Solo road tripping from Warsaw > Krakow > Slovakia (High Tatras/Slovak Paradise National Park) > Budapest > Ljubljana, Slovenia > Bled, Slovenia > Vienna > Olomouc, Czech Republic > Warsaw.

Anyone been to any of those spots and have any recommendations? 

On 4/26/2018 at 10:16 AM, Jenksismyhero said:

Seattle is awesome.  I was there for 3 nights last July.  Def go to Mt Rainier.  I spent a day hiking out there and it was absolutely gorgeous.  While i was in Seattle it was sunny and 70-80 every day so that helped.  It was about 55 degrees up in the mountains during my hike.  

Do a ferry boat to Bainbridge island and walk around and look at the houses there.  Obviously there is tons of fun stuff in downtown Seattle as well and awesome food.

One of my favorite things was the observatory deck at the "Smith Tower" which is the oldest skyscraper in Seattle.  You pay $20 to take the elevator to the top and there is a really nice cocktail bar/restaurant up there with tons of history and views in every direction.  Well worth the money.  

On 4/26/2018 at 10:16 AM, Jenksismyhero said:

The Fremont Brewing Company is one of the best breweries I've been to. 

Edited by joejoedairy

On 4/16/2018 at 9:14 AM, joejoedairy said:
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 06:25 AM)
The narrows is probably my favorite hike I've ever done, and also the most tiring. How far up did you go?

I'd say we went in about a mile or two. Hard to tell.

It was quite exhausting on the legs.[/quote]

We did the whole portion you're allowed on a day hike plus the side trek up Orderville Canyon, maybe 14 miles round trip if you don't count the endless zig-zags across the river bed.

I've never been more tired in my life, and the steak I ate that night was the most delicious meal I've ever had.

On 4/16/2018 at 9:14 AM, joejoedairy said:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 12:57 AM, Leonard Zelig said:
QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 04:17 PM)
Zion National Park was definitely the highlight. Hiking the narrows is unlike anything else you'll see.

The narrows look pretty scary to me. Nowhere to go in a flash flood.

I did this a few years ago. We made it all the way to a point where my wife and three kids where able to hold hands and touch the walls on each side (probably 12 feet or so apart).

My kids where pretty young (10-14 years old), so we figured that was probably long enough. It was a long walk, but fun and totally worth it.