2018 Travel Thread

soxfan49

On 5/17/2018 at 2:23 PM, Bazox said:

I can't go anywhere this year as we have a sick beagle , Snoopy (ofc) , my wife however has already been to Lanzarote , and will be off to Greece in July without me 😕

Can your wife not stay with Snoopy while you leave for a weekend? Those are quite the trips she is heading on.

11 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Can your wife not stay with Snoopy while you leave for a weekend?

I shall put it to her :nerves:.

I retired early and she works , so no complaints, we have another dog a Northern Inuit ( Game of Thrones wolf ) who is my shadow and not happy when I'm missing.

Anyone ever been to Delaware, in particular Dover or Renoboth Beach? Got any advice on things I should do?

I'm thinking about taking a drive there one afternoon when I'm in DC in July for the All Star Game/HR Derby, as my goal is to go to all 50 states before I die and I'm not sure when else I'll go to Delaware...

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Breckenridge Brewery has good food and beer. If you're interested in hiking or mountain biking, there are lots of good places right in the area. You can ride the gondola up to the top of the mountains for some great views, too.

Thanks

On 6/6/2018 at 11:52 AM, joejoedairy said:

Have a wedding in Breckenridge this weekend and will have some time to check it out. 

Any tips or recommendations?

Thanks

Main street is pretty much where everything is. I would just start at one end and walk down. Plenty of shops/restaurants/bars to enjoy. I have plenty of friends that have biked Vail Pass and heard it's awesome. Never done it myself though. There are some awesome trails to hike as well. A google search could point you in the direction of the trail heads.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 4:42 PM, soxfan49 said:

Anyone ever been to Delaware, in particular Dover or Renoboth Beach? Got any advice on things I should do?

I'm thinking about taking a drive there one afternoon when I'm in DC in July for the All Star Game/HR Derby, as my goal is to go to all 50 states before I die and I'm not sure when else I'll go to Delaware...

I'll be there with my family in August. Rehoboth Beach is on our itinerary. We just plan on checking out the shops and stores on the boardwalk, maybe swimming in the ocean and riding some rides at Funland. 

And of course quoting this scene numerous times...

32 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I'll be there with my family in August. Rehoboth Beach is on our itinerary. We just plan on checking out the shops and stores on the boardwalk, maybe swimming in the ocean and riding some rides at Funland. 

And of course quoting this scene numerous times...

Yeah, with almost no recommendations and TripAdvisor just saying to go to the boardwalk, I guess I'll do the same thing! I go 7/14 so I'll let you know my thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...

I only spent a few hours in Delaware but Rehoboth was awesome. Tons of little shops, restaurants and arcades as the main road leads right to the water. The water wasn't the best I've seen but you could easily spend 2-4 days there.

Camden Yards is a cool park to see a game.

Obviously DC is what it is and the HRD and ASG were a ton of fun.

• 5 weeks later...

We started our trip by flying into Philly on Friday. Then we drove to Atlantic City on Saturday and I got to see/swim in the ocean for the first time. 

Sunday we drove Rehoboth Beach in Delaware. More swimming in the ocean, walking on the boardwalk and we rode a few rides at Funland.

Monday we went to Virginia Beach and took a boat tour. Got to see some dolphins. We also went up into a lighthouse on a military base.

Tuesday we went to an Edgar Allen Poe museum in Richmond VA, then took a trip over to Blackwater Falls in West Virginia through the Appalachian Mountains. There wasn't a lot to do there besides see the falls but at least we can say we've been there now.

Wednesday and Thursday we spent in D.C. and saw a ton of stuff. We visited the Arlington National Cemetery, witnessed the changing of the guards at the tomb of the unknown solider and got to see the Declaration of Independence and the US constitution in the National Archives.

Friday we went to a science museum in Baltimore and ate at a Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurant.

Saturday we went to Hershey, PA and got a ton of chocolate. We did the "make your own chocolate bar" but mine melted a little on the way home.

Then we finally flew back home on Sunday.

I think we spent a little more $$$ that we planned on but we packed a ton of stuff into the time we had. On our future vacations we'll probably only visit one or two states at a time until we get all 50.

• 4 weeks later...

There's an entrance fee to the National Park if you're driving in. It's $25 per vehicle and it's good for a week. You could also park in Tusayan just outside of the park and take the free shuttle bus in. Then I don't think you have to pay anything. https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tusayan-route-purple.htm

Once you're in, there aren't any more fees to walk around, hike trails, take the shuttle buses, drive the rim road etc. There's a big vistor's center, several gift shops, some restaurants and snack places as well. 

There are ranger-led programs at scheduled times that can function as "tours" or at least guides with interesting information about the canyon, geology, history etc. There are helicopter tours out of Tusayan as well but those are $$$.

45 minutes ago, Brian said:

If I ever drive to Arizona again, I want to go to Mouth Rushmore, down to Grand Canyon, then to AZ.

Can you bring dogs there? Dumb question probably.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/pets.htm 

The standard visiting areas are on the South Rim and basically anywhere on the rim they are allowed. They are not allowed on the trails that go down into the canyon, and access is limited from the North Rim (the north rim is the side that is harder to get to and fewer people visit).

1 hour ago, StrangeSox said:

There's an entrance fee to the National Park if you're driving in. It's $25 per vehicle and it's good for a week. You could also park in Tusayan just outside of the park and take the free shuttle bus in. Then I don't think you have to pay anything. https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tusayan-route-purple.htm

Once you're in, there aren't any more fees to walk around, hike trails, take the shuttle buses, drive the rim road etc. There's a big vistor's center, several gift shops, some restaurants and snack places as well. 

There are ranger-led programs at scheduled times that can function as "tours" or at least guides with interesting information about the canyon, geology, history etc. There are helicopter tours out of Tusayan as well but those are $$$.

Very helpful. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

If anyone has questions on Disneyworld I just spent over a week there. Or if they want information on how it compares to Disneyland as I went there last year.

Too bad Star Wars land wont be until next year, but at least I got to avoid what is going to be insane crowds. 

Yeah, we were just at Disney and Universal in Orlando at the end of July as well.  Was kind of disappointed to miss the star wars stuff, but seeing what the crowds were like for the newly opened Toy Story area, it kind of made me fear for my life with the kind of crowds that will be there when star wars opens.

I'm going to Minnesota next weekend. Going to go to sox v twins game i think on saturday. 

I know we have some locals so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for places to go or things to eat/drink. I assume I'll have to get a juicy lucy and go to surly, but I'd love to hear anything else you might recommend.