2018 Travel Thread

soxfan49

• 4 weeks later...

Looking to do a trip in the northeast in September for a buddies wedding in Cape Cod, figured it’s be a good time to checkout the area.  I’m thinking of spending 4 days in Cape Cod including the wedding, doing 3 days in the Providence area to see a buddy, and then 4 days in Boston.

Anyone have any recommendations for those areas or around them?  I love historical sites, don’t mind walking but not interested in 10+ mile hikes but easy 3-4 mile hikes are great.  And of course any food recommendations are welcome!

33 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Looking to do a trip in the northeast in September for a buddies wedding in Cape Cod, figured it’s be a good time to checkout the area.  I’m thinking of spending 4 days in Cape Cod including the wedding, doing 3 days in the Providence area to see a buddy, and then 4 days in Boston.

Anyone have any recommendations for those areas or around them?  I love historical sites, don’t mind walking but not interested in 10+ mile hikes but easy 3-4 mile hikes are great.  And of course any food recommendations are welcome!

The freedom trail in Boston is a must. Many of the historic sites are on it. It's under 5 miles.

Providenciales was no joke. Grace Bay is the real deal. I've never seen water like that before, and even Sapodilla Bay was great. The locals were nice; safety was never in doubt (unlike Bahamas and Jamaica). My only two complaints are how expensive everything is and how terribly horrifying the airport & the process there is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 2:10 PM, wegner said:

Haha my hotel is supposed to be about a block away so I should get there 

San Antonio "expert" here.

First, check the forecasts, of course, but it should be warm, if not outright hot. 

Second, the Alamo is a pretty quick thing. Out of a dozen trips to SA, I've walked into its plaza once and I actually deliberately visited it one other time. The gardens are pretty and interesting, but the line to enter the chapel (the famous building we all know and recognize) was super long and we skipped it. Honestly, walk through the plaza, take pictures of the exterior, see the history exhibits in the garden, pay no fees and wait in no lines, and let that be that. An hour tops.

Third, there are some good restaurants on the Riverwalk and I enjoy eating there for the scenery, but choose wisely. Casa Rio and Cafe Ole are poor, but the Iron Cactus is pretty solid. Best Mexican food is away from downtown though, at a restaurant called La Fogata's on Vance Jackson Blvd. For more casual and cheaper meals, there's La Villita, which is an artsy-fartsy shopping plaza tucked behind the Hilton Del Rio, and the La Villita Cafe (smack in the middle of it) serves decent sandwiches and salads. Don't know the hours; only ever been there for lunch.

Fourth, the riverwalk boat tours (which launch from several different sites and all circle the main loop) are worth it. It'd even be worth it to do a day tour and a dusk/night tour, in my opinion (if only going with one though, go with a night one).

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. When I'm in my home city, I mostly hang out in the suburbs. When I'm in SA, it's all downtown, all the time. So I know it even better than I know my own city.

On 2/25/2019 at 2:32 PM, ptatc said:

The freedom trail in Boston is a must. Many of the historic sites are on it. It's under 5 miles.

Costco has a Boston Go card for $94, and it includes access to pretty much every museum, tour, activity in Boston, including bike rentals and trolley rides. So I think we are going to get that card. It lasts for 3 days, and includes one "Premium" ticket. We are going to select Whale Watching ($55 value) as our premium ticket, since we already have Red Sox tickets.

https://www.smartdestinations.com/boston-attractions-and-tours/_d_Bos-p1.html?pass=Bos_Prod_Go&allInc=true

36 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

This for sure, and make sure you keep going across the river to Bunker Hill and to the USS Constitution.

Agreed. Check out the Warren Tavern over there too. One of the oldest (if not the oldest) bars in Boston. Good chowd-ah.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been to Malta?  We are thinking of stopping for a few days when we are in Europe this summer.  It looks beautiful and there are a lot of historical sites which seem interesting, but I don't know anyone who has ever gone.  Would love to get some feedback or thoughts if anyone has traveled there before

22 hours ago, ChiSox_Sonix said:

Has anyone been to Malta?  We are thinking of stopping for a few days when we are in Europe this summer.  It looks beautiful and there are a lot of historical sites which seem interesting, but I don't know anyone who has ever gone.  Would love to get some feedback or thoughts if anyone has traveled there before

I've had this idea in my head for years, to do a tour of all the micro states in Europe: Malta, Monaco, Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Vatican City, and Luxembourg. Unfortunately it appears to be a very expensive thing to do and would need at least 2 weeks. Getting to Malta, you need to either fly from Rome or a couple other cities, or take a boat from Sicily. That's all I found out about it.

On 3/31/2019 at 1:09 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Nice knowing you and your money. 

You aren't kidding.  My wife always mentioned how expensive it was gonna be, but I took it for granted until I saw the actual numbers.  Add in going during "peak" season and trying to do it all up in one day, it was just about a four figure day for the four of us.  At least the kids had a great time. Luckily, we stayed with family so there was no lodging costs on top of everything.  

Man, the people watching though.

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

You aren't kidding.  My wife always mentioned how expensive it was gonna be, but I took it for granted until I saw the actual numbers.  Add in going during "peak" season and trying to do it all up in one day, it was just about a four figure day for the four of us.  At least the kids had a great time. Luckily, we stayed with family so there was no lodging costs on top of everything.  

Man, the people watching though.

The food is what blew me away.  A decent meal was $200+ for four of us.  Even counter service was consistently $100+.  It was nuts.

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The food is what blew me away.  A decent meal was $200+ for four of us.  Even counter service was consistently $100+.  It was nuts.

At Disneyland??? I don't recall ever spending even $50 for the girlfriend and I on any one meal. We weren't eating fancy, but we also weren't eating fast food or anything. 

Went to Disneyworld last year and I fortunately have a friend who's an Imagineer. Was able to crash on his couch and he got me into all of the parks completely free. Only had to pay for my food. Was so spoiled by that trip I don't think I could ever do it full price.