2018 Travel Thread

soxfan49

On 4/3/2019 at 9:27 AM, NorthSideSox72 said:

I've had this idea in my head for years, to do a tour of all the micro states in Europe: Malta, Monaco, Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Vatican City, and Luxembourg. Unfortunately it appears to be a very expensive thing to do and would need at least 2 weeks. Getting to Malta, you need to either fly from Rome or a couple other cities, or take a boat from Sicily. That's all I found out about it.

My buddy lived in Lux, that's a cool city state with way more military background than I expected/knew of.  But it is expensive and not exactly hugely different from places nearby.  I've also been to the Vatican, once you've gotten through the crazy lines it's pretty awesome inside.  My buddy went to Monaco and they really liked it there, great vacation spot.

22 hours ago, bigruss said:

My buddy lived in Lux, that's a cool city state with way more military background than I expected/knew of.  But it is expensive and not exactly hugely different from places nearby.  I've also been to the Vatican, once you've gotten through the crazy lines it's pretty awesome inside.  My buddy went to Monaco and they really liked it there, great vacation spot.

I've done the Vatican - it is the only one on the list I've been to. Lux is the one I am least excited about, as others have said something similar - that it just isn't all that different from other places around it.

On 3/5/2019 at 8:38 PM, The Sir said:

San Antonio "expert" here.

First, check the forecasts, of course, but it should be warm, if not outright hot. 

Second, the Alamo is a pretty quick thing. Out of a dozen trips to SA, I've walked into its plaza once and I actually deliberately visited it one other time. The gardens are pretty and interesting, but the line to enter the chapel (the famous building we all know and recognize) was super long and we skipped it. Honestly, walk through the plaza, take pictures of the exterior, see the history exhibits in the garden, pay no fees and wait in no lines, and let that be that. An hour tops.

Third, there are some good restaurants on the Riverwalk and I enjoy eating there for the scenery, but choose wisely. Casa Rio and Cafe Ole are poor, but the Iron Cactus is pretty solid. Best Mexican food is away from downtown though, at a restaurant called La Fogata's on Vance Jackson Blvd. For more casual and cheaper meals, there's La Villita, which is an artsy-fartsy shopping plaza tucked behind the Hilton Del Rio, and the La Villita Cafe (smack in the middle of it) serves decent sandwiches and salads. Don't know the hours; only ever been there for lunch.

Fourth, the riverwalk boat tours (which launch from several different sites and all circle the main loop) are worth it. It'd even be worth it to do a day tour and a dusk/night tour, in my opinion (if only going with one though, go with a night one).

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. When I'm in my home city, I mostly hang out in the suburbs. When I'm in SA, it's all downtown, all the time. So I know it even better than I know my own city.

While I agree with almost all you wrote, LaFonda on Main would be my recommendation.  Actually, I’d send him to Smoke Shack on Broadway for brisket.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:45 AM, NorthSideSox72 said:

I've done the Vatican - it is the only one on the list I've been to. Lux is the one I am least excited about, as others have said something similar - that it just isn't all that different from other places around it.

That's a cool trip idea.  Compared to the others, I can understand why Luxembourg would seem the least exciting.  That said, I liked it when I went.  It was in July, so the weather was nice, warm, sunny.  That always helps.  I'm glad I went, but I never felt the need to go back even though it was about 2 hours from where I lived.  

Also, this would be unrelated to the idea of your trip... but if you have any interest in WWII, or Band of Brothers, Bastogne is very close to Luxembourg.  It's maybe a 45 minute drive.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Besides the London Eye, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, etc (the obvious) anything that I just have to do in London and Paris?

If you are really into historical places, Westminster Abbey church in London was really cool.

I also did a Jack the Ripper tour when I was there and it was a cool thing to do at night.

21 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Besides the London Eye, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower, etc (the obvious) anything that I just have to do in London and Paris?

The British Museum. Indian food on Brick Lane. Harrod’s. Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, and a play. Depending on how much you like that sort of stuff to begin with, of course.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 3:45 PM, soxfan49 said:

Depending how long you got and what you're into really , changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace is good , there are a couple of other places it goes on as well , maybe a River Thames sight seeing tour which can be combined with the London Eye , Natural History Museum , the London Underground is brilliant and will get you to all the places .

Paris , sorry can't help I've never been .

• 4 weeks later...

Summer vacation for us teachers is almost here.

Looks like Chicago for a week -- Sailing the east coast aboard my brother and sister in laws boat for a couple weeks -- picking up our camper in Texas and heading to Colorado for a few weeks -- getting back for the start of my school year in late July. 

I just noticed I'll be in town for the Future Sox game. Hoping to make it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:33 PM, Texsox said:

While I agree with almost all you wrote, LaFonda on Main would be my recommendation.  Actually, I’d send him to Smoke Shack on Broadway for brisket.

Thanks for the additional recommendations Tex.  I have already been back from San Antonio and didn't see your post until now.  However, I am really looking forward to returning there again soon.  My wife and I both had a great time.  The Sir gave me great recommendations and I will add your restaurants for next time.  A special thanks for the brisket recommendation because I did not find a good one when I was down there in May.  Thanks again Tex.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:48 PM, The Sir said:

Looooong way off, but it just came out that the 2026 Winter Olympics will be in Milan-Cortina d'Ampezzo. I'm making it a goal to take the family there.

Oh Man, the Olympics is definitely on my bucket list to attend.  Won't make it there as a participant unless I can get on the Irish curling team.  Milan would be awesome!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

Thanks for the additional recommendations Tex.  I have already been back from San Antonio and didn't see your post until now.  However, I am really looking forward to returning there again soon.  My wife and I both had a great time.  The Sir gave me great recommendations and I will add your restaurants for next time.  A special thanks for the brisket recommendation because I did not find a good one when I was down there in May.  Thanks again Tex.

If you are serious about great Texas brisket an hour drive will get you to two of the best. 

Franklin's in Austin is the best in the world. The chef has won a James Beard Award for his BBQ. Expect looooooooooooong lines. 

Personally, I'd head to Lockhart and double or triple up. Black's is my favorite for the food but Smitty's has a presentation that everyone should experience. https://austin.eater.com/2016/6/16/11954976/lockhart-texas-barbecue-where-to-eat

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any good info on Asheville, NC and Charlotte, NC? The girlfriend and I will be going to Asheville for a wedding the first week of September. We're looking to get our AirBNBs right now. I'll be taking my car, so I'm also interested how parking is in those cities, as well as safe/fun areas to stay. I've read online that West Asheville is a pretty hip area where I'm sure my girlfriend will make me take 100 dumb photos in front of cute "Insta worthy" shit.

19 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Anyone have any good info on Asheville, NC and Charlotte, NC? The girlfriend and I will be going to Asheville for a wedding the first week of September. We're looking to get our AirBNBs right now. I'll be taking my car, so I'm also interested how parking is in those cities, as well as safe/fun areas to stay. I've read online that West Asheville is a pretty hip area where I'm sure my girlfriend will make me take 100 dumb photos in front of cute "Insta worthy" shit.

I only flew into Asheville and then stayed an hour away but I can tell you the Sierra Nevada brewery near the airport is amazing. Its huge with a large outdoor area with a concert stage and the food is so so good, way better than you'd expect from a brewery.

11 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I only flew into Asheville and then stayed an hour away but I can tell you the Sierra Nevada brewery near the airport is amazing. Its huge with a large outdoor area with a concert stage and the food is so so good, way better than you'd expect from a brewery.

I will second this.  Very cool place.  I've been to the Asheville area a couple of times and at the time they had the most breweries per capita of any US city.  Lots of good beer around.  I don't remember having any issues with parking while we were there. 

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

I got back from Alaska a few days ago; we did a cruise. Just a great place with unbelievable scenery. Hard to describe really. I recommend it highly.

We drove for 2 1/2 weeks around Alaska. Highly recommended as well. One of our better trips.

Edited by ptatc

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my AirBNB for Ashville next weekend. Now I just need to get our place in Charlotte for the days leading up to it. 

Anyone know any areas specifically to avoid in Charlotte? I am tempted to just get a place right across from the ballpark.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention I got tickets for the Knights first playoff game on September 4th. 2nd row behind the dugout. 😎

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

• 3 weeks later...