2018 Travel Thread

soxfan49

5 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I've made it clear about my trip to Europe in October and a few have given me ideas on things to do. What about places to eat? What I'm looking for is moreso small cafes, street food, aka authentic foods for Paris and London. Any help? @The Sir @Bazox

I'm less help here, honestly. We had a weekend in Paris when I was 13 or so (yeah it would have been 13, because I was distraught about the Sox getting swept by the Ms in the ALDS). My brother and I forced our parents to eat at TGI Fridays and Planet Hollywood. No authentic French food there!

London I'm a little more familiar with because my dad lived and worked there, so we visited a bunch. But small cafes? Not really. If you have any affinity for South Asian food, you need to visit Brick Lane for some Indian. Thai food is also great in the UK, but I don't have recommendations on exact places. Beyond that, we had Thanksgiving at a pizza place in central London when our car broke down one year, but I think it has since closed. Shame- it was actually pretty good.

Sorry my advice probably sucks. If anyone's going to Rome, I can recommend not only restaurants but exact menu items as well!

19 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I've made it clear about my trip to Europe in October and a few have given me ideas on things to do. What about places to eat? What I'm looking for is moreso small cafes, street food, aka authentic foods for Paris and London. Any help? @The Sir @Bazox

Any trip that you are looking for the small, out of the tourist type ideas go to www.atlasobscura.com.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joejoedairy said:

I'm less than a month away from my trip to Europe. 

We're doing 3 days in Munich, for the end of oktoberfest. 3 days in Amsterdam and 3 days in Prague. 

Any recommendations?

In Munich, definitely go to the Augustiner brewery and beer garden. Best beer garden in town, the beer is only sold in Munich and 50% of the money goes to local charities

The traffic in the city is awful, especially around october fest, although you'll be towards the end, so the best way to see the city is on one of the bike tours. They have 1/2 day and full day rides. You stop at other popular beer gardens and historic sites.

For Castles/palaces in munich the Schloss nymphenburg and munich residenz are cool. Near munich is also the Neuschwanstein (the one the disney caslte was modeled after) and Hohenschwangau.

If you like a spectacle to see or like surfing, the river surfing is really fun to watch and a lot of fun if you know how to surf.

Dachau concentration camp is an easy 1/2 hour train ride from Munich.

The glockenspeil in old city center of Munich is a must.

Munich is one of my favorite cities in the world to visit (in case you hadn't guessed)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 1:44 PM, joejoedairy said:

I'm less than a month away from my trip to Europe. 

We're doing 3 days in Munich, for the end of oktoberfest. 3 days in Amsterdam and 3 days in Prague. 

Any recommendations?

Prague - go see the castle of course, and the local food is awesome.  We did a pub tour that will knock you out if that interests you.

Amsterdam - Do the New Europe walking tour, it's pretty informative and free (just tip the guide).  Red light district is a lot of fun to walk through.  Grab a drink or two at the pubs/restaurants with outdoor seating.  Walk the city a lot, it's really nice, people are a bit crazy, it's a ton of fun, etc.  

Oktoberfest, man it's a blast.  Go to a couple tents, and go early.  After 5pm good luck getting an open table.  After 7 and you're waiting, that's also when the music really starts to play.  We usually started around 1pm and that was great.  Personally, found the beer the best at Hacker-Pschorr tent, most fun was at the Schottenhamel tent (a bit younger there), and the Augustiner tent was mostly local so it was really cool getting to talk to them (super friendly, but later in the night it's local kids and they are not fun, lots of fighting it seemed like).  Get the chicken at least once, it's pretty good and a fun experience there.  The Augustiner beer garden outside of the fest grounds is a really cool place, as mentioned in another post.  And during Oktoberfest it's pretty quiet since everyone is at the fest instead.

On 9/11/2019 at 12:00 PM, soxfan49 said:

Those are two cities that I was ok doing more touristy type places, totally different reasons for both places though.

London, what a shit show for food, look up some places on tripadvisor or something and just go with it.  The pub scene is where it's at, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between many places because the food was pretty much the same and of course plenty of beer.  I also wasn't a huge fan of London overall, it's a city.  

Paris was tough and easy for me, the food and wine is just on another level there and even the touristy places we went to were awesome.  It's not a cheap city so didn't really feel like I was being ripped off since the local places were pretty much the same price.  Plus, the touristy places typically had amazing outdoor sitting areas, and that was well worth it for a couple meals.  Highly highly recommend finding a local bakery and grabbing some bread, then head to a grocery store and buy some cheese and wine and go have a picnic at a park.  For 5-10 euro you can get a really good wine in the store.

So got back from my 2 week roadtrip, had a great time:

Montreal - really weird driving through Canada especially in Quebec, not sure I could have done it without a smartphone.  What a fun city, the food and drink scene is amazing, with enough things to do during the day to keep you entertained.  

Providence - loved this small city, reminded me a lot of Milwaukee.  Some of the best coffee I've ever had and a good food scene.  But man, the traffic/city layout would get so old living out there.  Also made it to Newport one of the days and went to The Breakers and holy hell, the opulence! 

Bridgton Maine - tiny little town that was perfect, got to explore a lot of antique shops and galleries (guilty pleasure) and went to Sebago State Park, wish I knew how great that campsite was!  If I lived closer I would go there all the time, beautiful site right on the lake.  Checked out Portland as well and that's a cool city, would definitely go back.

Rockport MA - tiny town on the water, cool to checkout for a day but not much more.  Just felt too young for the crowd there, lots of seniors.  Beautiful views though.

Cape Cod - Ended the trip as the best man at a wedding right on the Cape, just stunning out there.  

17 hours ago, bigruss said:

So got back from my 2 week roadtrip, had a great time:

Montreal - really weird driving through Canada especially in Quebec, not sure I could have done it without a smartphone.  What a fun city, the food and drink scene is amazing, with enough things to do during the day to keep you entertained.  

Providence - loved this small city, reminded me a lot of Milwaukee.  Some of the best coffee I've ever had and a good food scene.  But man, the traffic/city layout would get so old living out there.  Also made it to Newport one of the days and went to The Breakers and holy hell, the opulence! 

Bridgton Maine - tiny little town that was perfect, got to explore a lot of antique shops and galleries (guilty pleasure) and went to Sebago State Park, wish I knew how great that campsite was!  If I lived closer I would go there all the time, beautiful site right on the lake.  Checked out Portland as well and that's a cool city, would definitely go back.

Rockport MA - tiny town on the water, cool to checkout for a day but not much more.  Just felt too young for the crowd there, lots of seniors.  Beautiful views though.

Cape Cod - Ended the trip as the best man at a wedding right on the Cape, just stunning out there.  

The East Coast is awesome. I've been to ME but never Rockport or Bridgton (went to Portland). Been to Canada but never Montreal (Toronto, Niagara Falls, Victoria, Vancouver). Been to RI but never Providence (Newport). I'll have to check these places out.

17 hours ago, bigruss said:

Those are two cities that I was ok doing more touristy type places, totally different reasons for both places though.

London, what a shit show for food, look up some places on tripadvisor or something and just go with it.  The pub scene is where it's at, I honestly couldn't tell the difference between many places because the food was pretty much the same and of course plenty of beer.  I also wasn't a huge fan of London overall, it's a city.  

Paris was tough and easy for me, the food and wine is just on another level there and even the touristy places we went to were awesome.  It's not a cheap city so didn't really feel like I was being ripped off since the local places were pretty much the same price.  Plus, the touristy places typically had amazing outdoor sitting areas, and that was well worth it for a couple meals.  Highly highly recommend finding a local bakery and grabbing some bread, then head to a grocery store and buy some cheese and wine and go have a picnic at a park.  For 5-10 euro you can get a really good wine in the store.

Appreciate you

On 9/11/2019 at 1:00 PM, soxfan49 said:

Paris

Ask your hotel to help you get a seat at Le Chateaubriand, this is everybody's chance to get an unreal dining experience for a decent price compared to others of the same quality.  It's Michelin starred, casual dress but is mind-blowing.

Would echo what others said, google best bakeries, cheese shops and wine shops.  Get some bread, ham, cheese, desserts, wine and chill on the Seine or in a courtyard... they are everywhere.

I'd recommend Bike About Tours, they bring you to the lesser-known of Paris which is basically what you want because you can walk to Eiffel Tower and all the tourist sites and don't need to pay a Bike Company to show them to you.  It was amazing.  

London

Pub food is your best bet for local type "street food".  It's a melting pot, tons of options. 

21 hours ago, The Sir said:

To each their own, but as far as cityscape goes, London is probably my favorite anywhere in the world. It’s an older, non-shitty version of New York.

I get why people would like it just like I get why people like NYC, but yea definitely not what I'm looking for when I travel.

On 9/24/2019 at 5:18 PM, Chi Town Sox said:

Paris

Ask your hotel to help you get a seat at Le Chateaubriand, this is everybody's chance to get an unreal dining experience for a decent price compared to others of the same quality.  It's Michelin starred, casual dress but is mind-blowing.

Would echo what others said, google best bakeries, cheese shops and wine shops.  Get some bread, ham, cheese, desserts, wine and chill on the Seine or in a courtyard... they are everywhere.

I'd recommend Bike About Tours, they bring you to the lesser-known of Paris which is basically what you want because you can walk to Eiffel Tower and all the tourist sites and don't need to pay a Bike Company to show them to you.  It was amazing.  

London

Pub food is your best bet for local type "street food".  It's a melting pot, tons of options. 

Thanks for the help. 

Unfortunately we aren't spending a night in Paris, just about 9 am to 9 pm. No hotel stay.

Sorry for the late reply , Paris I’ve no idea , English food is very unimaginative and we rely heavily on foreign cuisine, London being very cosmopolitan is the best place and Google your friend.

Edited by Bazox