Jump to content
soxfan49

2018 Travel Thread

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I love Portland and Salem. If you time for another game, go to a Portland Seadog game. Cool park and fun. Salem is self explanatory  and has a ton of good microbreweries.  

Ooooh, I totally forgot about a Seadogs game. I will have to see if they are home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am taking a trip to San Antonio in May.  Anyone been to a minor league game there?  Any advice for anything else to not miss in San Antonio?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, wegner said:

I am taking a trip to San Antonio in May.  Anyone been to a minor league game there?  Any advice for anything else to not miss in San Antonio?

Remember the Alamo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Remember the Alamo!

Haha my hotel is supposed to be about a block away so I should get there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking to do a trip in the northeast in September for a buddies wedding in Cape Cod, figured it’s be a good time to checkout the area.  I’m thinking of spending 4 days in Cape Cod including the wedding, doing 3 days in the Providence area to see a buddy, and then 4 days in Boston.

 

Anyone have any recommendations for those areas or around them?  I love historical sites, don’t mind walking but not interested in 10+ mile hikes but easy 3-4 mile hikes are great.  And of course any food recommendations are welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Looking to do a trip in the northeast in September for a buddies wedding in Cape Cod, figured it’s be a good time to checkout the area.  I’m thinking of spending 4 days in Cape Cod including the wedding, doing 3 days in the Providence area to see a buddy, and then 4 days in Boston.

 

Anyone have any recommendations for those areas or around them?  I love historical sites, don’t mind walking but not interested in 10+ mile hikes but easy 3-4 mile hikes are great.  And of course any food recommendations are welcome!

The freedom trail in Boston is a must. Many of the historic sites are on it. It's under 5 miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Providenciales was no joke. Grace Bay is the real deal. I've never seen water like that before, and even Sapodilla Bay was great. The locals were nice; safety was never in doubt (unlike Bahamas and Jamaica). My only two complaints are how expensive everything is and how terribly horrifying the airport & the process there is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 2:10 PM, wegner said:

Haha my hotel is supposed to be about a block away so I should get there 

San Antonio "expert" here.

First, check the forecasts, of course, but it should be warm, if not outright hot. 

Second, the Alamo is a pretty quick thing. Out of a dozen trips to SA, I've walked into its plaza once and I actually deliberately visited it one other time. The gardens are pretty and interesting, but the line to enter the chapel (the famous building we all know and recognize) was super long and we skipped it. Honestly, walk through the plaza, take pictures of the exterior, see the history exhibits in the garden, pay no fees and wait in no lines, and let that be that. An hour tops.

Third, there are some good restaurants on the Riverwalk and I enjoy eating there for the scenery, but choose wisely. Casa Rio and Cafe Ole are poor, but the Iron Cactus is pretty solid. Best Mexican food is away from downtown though, at a restaurant called La Fogata's on Vance Jackson Blvd. For more casual and cheaper meals, there's La Villita, which is an artsy-fartsy shopping plaza tucked behind the Hilton Del Rio, and the La Villita Cafe (smack in the middle of it) serves decent sandwiches and salads. Don't know the hours; only ever been there for lunch.

Fourth, the riverwalk boat tours (which launch from several different sites and all circle the main loop) are worth it. It'd even be worth it to do a day tour and a dusk/night tour, in my opinion (if only going with one though, go with a night one).

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions. When I'm in my home city, I mostly hang out in the suburbs. When I'm in SA, it's all downtown, all the time. So I know it even better than I know my own city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 2:32 PM, ptatc said:

The freedom trail in Boston is a must. Many of the historic sites are on it. It's under 5 miles.

Costco has a Boston Go card for $94, and it includes access to pretty much every museum, tour, activity in Boston, including bike rentals and trolley rides. So I think we are going to get that card. It lasts for 3 days, and includes one "Premium" ticket. We are going to select Whale Watching ($55 value) as our premium ticket, since we already have Red Sox tickets.

https://www.smartdestinations.com/boston-attractions-and-tours/_d_Bos-p1.html?pass=Bos_Prod_Go&allInc=true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 2:32 PM, ptatc said:

The freedom trail in Boston is a must. Many of the historic sites are on it. It's under 5 miles.

This for sure, and make sure you keep going across the river to Bunker Hill and to the USS Constitution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

This for sure, and make sure you keep going across the river to Bunker Hill and to the USS Constitution.

Agreed. Check out the Warren Tavern over there too. One of the oldest (if not the oldest) bars in Boston. Good chowd-ah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

This for sure, and make sure you keep going across the river to Bunker Hill and to the USS Constitution.

We got caught on Bunker Hill on foot by a lightning storm. That was interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×