soxfan49

2018 Travel Thread

5 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I've made it clear about my trip to Europe in October and a few have given me ideas on things to do. What about places to eat? What I'm looking for is moreso small cafes, street food, aka authentic foods for Paris and London. Any help? @The Sir @Bazox

I'm less help here, honestly. We had a weekend in Paris when I was 13 or so (yeah it would have been 13, because I was distraught about the Sox getting swept by the Ms in the ALDS). My brother and I forced our parents to eat at TGI Fridays and Planet Hollywood. No authentic French food there!

London I'm a little more familiar with because my dad lived and worked there, so we visited a bunch. But small cafes? Not really. If you have any affinity for South Asian food, you need to visit Brick Lane for some Indian. Thai food is also great in the UK, but I don't have recommendations on exact places. Beyond that, we had Thanksgiving at a pizza place in central London when our car broke down one year, but I think it has since closed. Shame- it was actually pretty good.

Sorry my advice probably sucks. If anyone's going to Rome, I can recommend not only restaurants but exact menu items as well!

5 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

I've made it clear about my trip to Europe in October and a few have given me ideas on things to do. What about places to eat? What I'm looking for is moreso small cafes, street food, aka authentic foods for Paris and London. Any help? @The Sir @Bazox

I'm less help here, honestly. We had a weekend in Paris when I was 13 or so (yeah it would have been 13, because I was distraught about the Sox getting swept by the Ms in the ALDS). My brother and I forced our parents to eat at TGI Fridays and Planet Hollywood. No authentic French food there!

London I'm a little more familiar with because my dad lived and worked there, so we visited a bunch. But small cafes? Not really. If you have any affinity for South Asian food, you need to visit Brick Lane for some Indian. Thai food is also great in the UK, but I don't have recommendations on exact places. Beyond that, we had Thanksgiving at a pizza place in central London when our car broke down one year, but I think it has since closed. Shame- it was actually pretty good.

Sorry my advice probably sucks. If anyone's going to Rome, I can recommend not only restaurants but exact menu items as well!

19 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Any trip that you are looking for the small, out of the tourist type ideas go to www.atlasobscura.com.

• Like 1

I'm less than a month away from my trip to Europe. 

We're doing 3 days in Munich, for the end of oktoberfest. 3 days in Amsterdam and 3 days in Prague. 

Any recommendations?

1 minute ago, joejoedairy said:

I'm less than a month away from my trip to Europe. 

We're doing 3 days in Munich, for the end of oktoberfest. 3 days in Amsterdam and 3 days in Prague. 

Any recommendations?

In Munich, definitely go to the Augustiner brewery and beer garden. Best beer garden in town, the beer is only sold in Munich and 50% of the money goes to local charities

The traffic in the city is awful, especially around october fest, although you'll be towards the end, so the best way to see the city is on one of the bike tours. They have 1/2 day and full day rides. You stop at other popular beer gardens and historic sites.

For Castles/palaces in munich the Schloss nymphenburg and munich residenz are cool. Near munich is also the Neuschwanstein (the one the disney caslte was modeled after) and Hohenschwangau.

If you like a spectacle to see or like surfing, the river surfing is really fun to watch and a lot of fun if you know how to surf.

Dachau concentration camp is an easy 1/2 hour train ride from Munich.

The glockenspeil in old city center of Munich is a must.

Munich is one of my favorite cities in the world to visit (in case you hadn't guessed)

• Thanks 1