4/16 Sox at A’s

flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 12:01 AM)
2nd base is an easy position to get quality players. Gordon, Hernandez and Lowrie could have been had this past offseason for non-top prospects. Kopech has turned into the big catch from that trade.

It isn't just 2B. It is the entire IF. I haven't seen enough of Sheets yet, I don't trust Collins and Skoug to be MLB catchers or 1B, they have nothing at SS and 3B. Zavala and Burger are DH candidates. They're loaded in the OF, but they're barren in the IF.

Edited by Jack Parkman

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 12:00 AM)
Not like we have a ton of options on the bench (besides Garcia for Engel). Unless you mean the order

I would absolutely move Avi down in the order. He's actively hurting this team. Not even getting on base with walks at the 2 spot.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 12:08 AM)
And at some point, serious money is going to be spent to fill those holes. If it isn?€t, this rebuild wasn?€t going to work from the start, with or without Moncada.

I'm almost always against signing FA, because you're almost always going to have an albatross contract halfway through. FA is for suckers. The only players worth signing to a FA deal are the guys who reach at 25 or 26 and are already established superstars, such as Harper and Machado. Baseball needs to take a note from the NHL and pay players the most when their production is highest, rather than during their declining years. In hockey as soon as a budding star's ELC is up, the teams immediately sign the player to an 8 year deal at current market value. This way, they get the best years of a player, and they're paying sticker price for the a player when they're most productive. Players get paid and ownership gets the best bang for the buck. This model also incentivizes homegrown talent to stay put.

Edited by Jack Parkman

Now you see why I said wait and see on paying Avi when we had a lot of people on here wanting to give him big money this past offseason. That would've been a disaster.

It is ok if we have a glut of good outfielders in the minors - we don't have a long term (forward looking) fixture at 1B or DH yet. We still have flexibility to move guys around on the field in time. I don't know how many more good years Abreu has left, probably at least a few after this one.

Our trades are looking better with each passing day. Moncada should come around eventually. Next key trade to make is sell high on Nate Jones at the deadline if he can put together a good half in the closer's role. The next guy to sell high on after Jones is Rodon, at the deadline if we get blown away or next offseason. Hopefully Rodon is dominant when he comes back that will really help us a lot.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 11:06 PM)
It isn't just 2B. It is the entire IF. I haven't seen enough of Sheets yet, I don't trust Collins and Skoug to be MLB catchers or 1B, they have nothing at SS and 3B. Zavala and Burger are DH candidates. They're loaded in the OF, but they're barren in the IF.

You're acting like we have no money to spend. If the rotation can be covered from the minors we have 100 million to put into the infield and bullpen. Pretty much everyone knows this is a throwaway year.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 06:26 AM)
Thank god I fell asleep, this team's offense and defense is dismal. Lopez looked awesome again, a couple too many walks but he's been really good so far to start the season.

Yeah this offense is so boring. I don't really want to watch more until (if?) it gets warm out.