Can I Revise My Seasons Win Total Prediction?

hi8is

The 1970 White Sox lost 106 games. I'm convinced that this team can easily lose more games than the 1970 team. The entire team is bad. Hitting, pitching and defense is bad. More troubling are the performances of Anderson and Moncada. Anderson can't field and Moncada can't hit. Both of these players are being counted on to make things better. As of now they both look like they don't belong in the majors. I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel here with this so called rebuild/tanking. My only hope here is if things continue to be bad there will be major changes here in the front office. Or even better, JR puts the team up for sale.

on top of all of it -we have played essentially the easiest schedule possible. We will certainly be in the mix for the top pick next year...which is fine - we still need at least 1 more wave of prospects for this thing to work. Patience is the key here....realistically our best window is when Eloy, Moncada and robert are in their year 25-28 stretch - ie a few years away still

With few exceptions, they are playing all around awful. The errors, baserunning gaffes, are occurring almost every game and by the boatload.

It is one reason I want the Sox to draft Madrigal. Probably comparing him to Altuve is unfair, but little guys do flourish. He could be a RH Adam Eaton who can play middle infield. And on top of it, his baseball IQ is supposedly off the charts. It's one thing this team needs. Saladino is probably the highest baseball IQ on the roster. He hardly plays. I'd say Yolmer is probably next, and it's up in the air if he really is a regular player on a contender. Everyone else is iffy. I think its a big need. Maybe some of his baseball smarts could rub off on others.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 07:17 AM)
Rebuilds take a year, right? We should win 100 this year

I will sit back and watch how the narrative changes now. Previously we were saying we'd compete for a playoff spot next year and a WS in 2020. If our team continues to progress slowly and play poorly, with the exception of a few pitchers, then those years need to be pushed back.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 08:47 AM)
I will sit back and watch how the narrative changes now. Previously we were saying we'd compete for a playoff spot next year and a WS in 2020. If our team continues to progress slowly and play poorly, with the exception of a few pitchers, then those years need to be pushed back.

Even Hawk was saying 2020. If a lot goes right, next year they have a shot. It's not like you have to win 100 games to make the playoffs. But 2020 is probably more realistic.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 08:47 AM)

If this team does not substantially improve in 2019 and be a legit contender in 2020, then at some point we will have to turn around and say that no matter how highly the prospects rick hahn got were ranked, either he consistently misjudged them, or the White Sox failed to do anything to improve their player development despite their entire organization hanging on minor league player evaluation and development. On paper this team in 2020 should be a monster. If it isn't, then there's one single person who we should hang that on.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 08:42 AM)
With few exceptions, they are playing all around awful. The errors, baserunning gaffes, are occurring almost every game and by the boatload.

It is one reason I want the Sox to draft Madrigal. Probably comparing him to Altuve is unfair, but little guys do flourish. He could be a RH Adam Eaton who can play middle infield. And on top of it, his baseball IQ is supposedly off the charts. It's one thing this team needs. Saladino is probably the highest baseball IQ on the roster. He hardly plays. I'd say Yolmer is probably next, and it's up in the air if he really is a regular player on a contender. Everyone else is iffy. I think its a big need. Maybe some of his baseball smarts could rub off on others.

I'd have to be quite confident that Nick Madrigal could play SS in the pros for me to take him at #4.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 08:57 AM)
I remember reading comments from people that thought they would be competitive this year and thought the people who were skeptical were crazy :lol:

I am probably one of the biggest skeptics left, and I will even flat out say the team we have seen through the beginning of this season isn't the real team. They are off to a bad start, but this team isn't THIS bad. This is not a 50 something win team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 09:18 AM)
I am probably one of the biggest skeptics left, and I will even flat out say the team we have seen through the beginning of this season isn't the real team. They are off to a bad start, but this team isn't THIS bad. This is not a 50 something win team.

Yeah, I still think they will be low-70s.

I think we should familiarize ourselves with some teams in similar situations.

The phillies sold off their players, then in their first rebuild year had a better showing than many expected. Young pitchers like Nola and Velazquez showed up, and players like Odubel Herrerra came onto the scene.

Then, in year 2 (last year) the first half was a disaster. Injuries, pitching regression, and star prospect JP Crawford struggles. but the second half they find Hoskins and Kingery, and excitement emerged.

It was enough to jumpstart things in the offseason with Santana and Arrietta, and I think they are well on pace to be good next year, (blah blah Kapler)

I would have preferred to have been the brewers. They scoured the waivers and found a bunch of high performing AAAA players that turned into a diamond of consistent 2-3 WAR guys and overperformed.

I think many saw Davidson, Delmonico, Sanchez etc and could see the same.

Nothing has happened that has changed my opinion on where this team is headed. It's unbearable to watch this 2015 baseball, instead of last years much more fun brand. But there is a lot of stuff that will break the other way soon. Our actual pitching depth is still in AA, our hot relievers are in 2019 territory. There was a 1 year gap between our original influx of talent and the next wave behind it. So this team is a odd match and that's okay. If you've seriously downgraded the entire outlook based on 3 weeks, you didn't actually want a rebuild of young players.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 09:20 AM)
Yeah, I still think they will be low-70s.

I said 69 coming into this season, but something between the 68 to 72 range still makes sense to me. They will be streaky. They will have times like this where it looks like a rookie ball team, and there will be stretches like September where they look competitive. They are young, not only will individuals be up and down, but the team will as well.

But I do want to reiterate that this is really bad baseball and it sucks to watch and I'm frustrated. But they had a month of incredibly bad baseball last July too. Helps that they had good starts/ ends to the year.

If we have a great second half nobody will care.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 09:47 AM)
But I do want to reiterate that this is really bad baseball and it sucks to watch and I'm frustrated. But they had a month of incredibly bad baseball last July too. Helps that they had good starts/ ends to the year.

If we have a great second half nobody will care.

Agreed. I might need to take a break from watching for a little while. But I do get that it's also year 2 of the rebuild and that is the part we have to understand about this season.

Reasonable responses. I think I had 79 wins, which looks way too optimistic. If Avi really goes back to being below replacement that is three wins right there and he sure looks like he is back in that mode.

The losses don't bother me so much as how they are losing. Had to turn the game off after TAs error last night.

Looks like a 70 win team right now. At least Lopez is off to a great start.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 08:42 AM)

I agree with the first part. We’re just playing sloppy baseball and I blame Renteria for that. He made some comments about last night’s debacle and didn’t even seem too upset at the players. He’s got to be on top of these guys and hold them accountable for their f***ups. Can’t be a player’s coach all the time.

As for your second point, we definitely need more baseball intelligence on our roster, but I don’t think you address that through the draft. Being fundamentally sound & focused at all times has to be engrained in the organization’s culture & development system and we’re not seeing that at moment. I think adding some veterans in the coming years will help to some extent.

And I agree about Yolmer’s baseball IQ and am starting to believe he may be an everyday player. He’s probably been the most impressive player this year for us on the positional side. If he can maintain most of the power he’s flashed he has a chance an all-around good 3B.

I said 65 from the beginning and I still love the #/.. I never understood people thinking we'd be significantly better than last year. No Quintana, Robertson, Kahle, Swarzak, Frazier, Melky and whoever else for half a year. If we hit 70 wins that would be great. But the only way to judge if this is a successful season is the improvement from the young guys. Primarily the ones we need to be good (yoan, Anderson, gio, lopez, and the many many prospects in the minors).