Adam Engel -- how much longer does he have as a regular?

chitownsportsfan

For my money, Adam Engel has at least a half of a season. I want to see if he can make the adjustments that he needs to make to be a MLB regular. In all likelihood, he probably won't, but before giving up on him I think he should be given an extended look. If he's been in a slump for the entire season at the halfway point, then yeah let's go ahead and try another option. These are the luxuries a rebuilding team can have. Give Adam the time he needs to make the necessary adjustments, see if he does it, and if not, sucks for us and Adam but we can then give Cordell or Tilson a shot. My half season suggestion may be too much for some around here, I understand. 1/3 of the season should be ample amount of time as well.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 02:24 PM)
Bruce Levine

@MLBBruceLevine

Wh Sox OF Ryan Cordell who almost made the 25 man roster broke a collar bone playing for Charlotte ( Triple A ) and will miss a minimum of 8 weeks . Cordell was acquired from the Brewers for RHP Anthony Swarzak last July.

Bummer.

The problem is our stash of possible CF candidates in AAA have all gotten off to slow starts. Cordell out, Tilson needs to knock off rust, May was kinda fourth of will get at bats now. I give Engel another week and switch him with Leury. Not sure why Leury wasn't/isn't being given more of a chance. At this point I would be giving the "tryout" to Leury as we wait on Tilson.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 08:29 AM)
Send him back to AAA, claim Trayce Thompson. Let Trayce play a couple of weeks and see what happens. If he sucks, DFA him, and let him move on to his next team or go to Charlotte.

It's a free look with Cordell down. Engel has a spot in Charlotte.

I agree about Trayce. When I saw he was DFA'd yesterday, thought the same thing. Why not give him a shot?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 10:53 AM)
I agree about Trayce. When I saw he was DFA'd yesterday, thought the same thing. Why not give him a shot?

Because he's 27 and there's no point in giving him ABs that could go to someone who might have a future here (Leury, Tilson, etc)

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 09:59 AM)
Because he's 27 and there's no point in giving him ABs that could go to someone who might have a future here (Leury, Tilson, etc)

L. Garcia is an infielder trying to play the outfield. I suspect he really has no future here either. Tilson can't stay healthy and until he does over a longer period of time he's probably not in the Sox plans long term either.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 10:59 AM)

Leury is 27 as well. I am fine with keeping Leury out there, but Trayce is a better option than Engel who IMO is in way over his head. The only reason Engel was acceptable was his D, which has been rather poor so far this season. Tilson has done nothing to deserve a call up at this point.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 11:11 AM)
I see no benefit to giving Trayce AB's when we know what he is already, there's a reason he's been on 3 different teams already this year. He's the original Adam Engel, great defense and no bat.

He's been on 3 different teams and has 7 AB. The thing is, before he hurt his back he was better than Engel, better than Tilson and better than Cordell. Engel can get some time in AAA. Cordell can't play for a few weeks, and Tillson still needs time in Charlotte. It's basically a free look. Give him a couple of weeks, see if he can get back to his old form. If not, no big deal. If so, you just upgraded your roster for nothing.

Ideally Trayce probably needs AAA to get back to where he was, but you do have a means right now. And if he falters, you are closer to no one claiming him and getting him to AAA.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 11:25 AM)
He's been on 3 different teams and has 7 AB. The thing is, before he hurt his back he was better than Engel, better than Tilson and better than Cordell. Engel can get some time in AAA. Cordell can't play for a few weeks, and Tillson still needs time in Charlotte. It's basically a free look. Give him a couple of weeks, see if he can get back to his old form. If not, no big deal. If so, you just upgraded your roster for nothing.

Ideally Trayce probably needs AAA to get back to where he was, but you do have a means right now. And if he falters, you are closer to no one claiming him and getting him to AAA.

This. Only real negative is not letting Leury play everday. And let's be honest, Leury is never going to be our everyday CF when we're competing. If he's still around (big if), he's a super sub. Which, at this point, its tough to call him an infielder. He has played 31 innings in the infield for the Sox since 2015.

Leury always deserved the starting CF job. The only way to justify Engel having won the job was if the coaches were certain that he'd made a big developmental leap with the bat, which is obviously not what occurred. The best thing for him would be to get some success in AAA to hopefully get his bat to a point that we can make use of his superb defense.

I don't know that I'd get too enthused about Trayce Thompson, but I definitely wouldn't cast him off as a 100% has-been who doesn't have any upside. His bad play in AAA last season is a concern though and I'm not familiar enough with his injury history to know whether that explains away that performance or if it is going to continue to plague him.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 11:01 AM)
L. Garcia is an infielder trying to play the outfield. I suspect he really has no future here either. Tilson can't stay healthy and until he does over a longer period of time he's probably not in the Sox plans long term either.

No, he is an infielder and an outfielder. He isnt a great outfielder but he also isnt bad. He has logged a lot of major league innings in the outfield and he will continue to do so

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 11:08 AM)
Leury is 27 as well. I am fine with keeping Leury out there, but Trayce is a better option than Engel who IMO is in way over his head. The only reason Engel was acceptable was his D, which has been rather poor so far this season. Tilson has done nothing to deserve a call up at this point.

The difference is Leury is an actual MLB player, while Trayce is just not good. I do agree that he's a better option than Engel, but unfortunately I think we're stuck with him for a while.

The current outfield roster is probably a mute point. The future window of contention, opening wide in 2020, will likely feature 3 of the following 4 young outfielders:

Eloy, Robert, Adolfo and Rutherford. i'm beginning to think that everyone else is just a place holder. I don't know about you guys, but I find myself more interested in following the Minors. I can't wait until Eloy and Robert are back on the field.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 12:22 PM)
The current outfield roster is probably a mute point. The future window of contention, opening wide in 2020, will likely feature 3 of the following 4 young outfielders:

Eloy, Robert, Adolfo and Rutherford. i'm beginning to think that everyone else is just a place holder. I don't know about you guys, but I find myself more interested in following the Minors. I can't wait until Eloy and Robert are back on the field.

You never know. It wasn't too long ago we were wondering who the Sox would put in the OF with Courtney Hawkins. Except for Eloy, the rest are still a world away. There is talent there, but sometimes talent and hard work aren't enough.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 10:13 AM)
The difference is Leury is an actual MLB player, while Trayce is just not good. I do agree that he's a better option than Engel, but unfortunately I think we're stuck with him for a while.

TT / 1.9 bWAR / 1.8 fWAR in 459 PA

LG / 0.1 bWAR / -0.5 fWAR in 683 PA

Last season was a different story, but you never know

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 12:59 PM)
We also were set in the OF for the next decade with Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney...

Exactly, and it's not like it only happens to the White Sox. Especially with bats, the Sox have really struggled for over a decade now. Eventually, just luck should get them to have some success, but except for maybe Eloy, all these guys have some issues. Adolfo with contact. Rutherford with power, and for me ,Robert right now for at least health. It seems he gets nicked up a lot.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 12:02 PM)
I'd like to see Leury in CF full time. Engel just kind of sucks. Keep him around as the 4th OF if need be, but he shouldn't be getting everyday at bats.

Any update on Cordell injury from yesterday?

I've supported Engel in the past but also thought Leury should be the opening day starter in CF even suggested he was just as good as Engel out there which drew the wrath of many.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 12:32 PM)
You never know. It wasn't too long ago we were wondering who the Sox would put in the OF with Courtney Hawkins. Except for Eloy, the rest are still a world away. There is talent there, but sometimes talent and hard work aren't enough.

The Courtney Hawkins era lasted about six months.

My list of possible 4 OF with positives and negatives of each. Hopefully we have Avi, Robert and Eloy out there and the final spot goes to someone who can play all 3 spots decently and provide speed and defense with some hope as a bat. aka - some power, some speed, some walks

I am assuming their age and role in 2019 and 2020 as that's when it'll matter. Now? It really doesn't. By 2021 one of these guys should be a 4OF (likely it might not be any of these guys)

Cordell - 26 years old currently. 27 and 28 respectively.

Played AAA for first time as 25 year old. 11th round pick. Held his own at each level in the minors, decent speed, decent getting on base, not sure on defense. However he's played in the PCL league and this year in Charlotte. Both are good for offensive numbers. I see him as a Band-Aid.

Charlie Tilson - 25 years old currently

Split seasons at A and A+ and then A+ and AA for his first two season at age 20 and 21 reaching a full season at AA at 22 and then AAA at 23. He's stole 46 bags in AA in 2015. Hit basically .282 and above each year, with the .282 coming in his first year at AAA. OBP decent. Played full seasons each year minus last year. Off to a cold start this year.

Trayce Thompson - 27 years old currently (hypothetically)

Bounced a round a bit over the past few years as we are aware. Batted nearly .300 with the CWS at age 24 getting on base at nearly a .363OBP. He was traded to the Dodgers and hit .225 over 260 AB's playing good efense and hitting 13 homers. Down in AAA at 26yo he hit .212 over 370AB's. Didn't really hit many homers or walk or slug either. Really tough year.

He has proven himself on a somewhat limited basis what he probably tops out at in the MLB. With consistent AB's you can probably pencil in .240BA and some power, probably a bit worse with spotty AB's. Decent defense and can cover all positions. However would be 28 and 29yo respectively when he's called to do 4 OF duty

Leury Garcia - 27 years old currently

He's had a taste of the majors since 22 years old in 2013, but with his first real extended look coming last year with 326 AB's hitting .270 and 9HR. His last real minor league experience was 2016 when he crushed the ball .313BA and OBP .367. no real power, and is what I'd call replacement level at OF defense.

Engel - 27? years old currently

I think we all know what he is. Strong D and speed. Very poor everything else.

The field:

Rutherford - 20 years old

In Single A right now. Had a rough year against expectations last year. Even with a truly execptional year in 2018 would guess by 2020 he's still in the minors. Say he finishes in AA this year. Starts in AA, makes it to AAA midseason in 2019. Seems unlikely that even happens. If it does were probably looking at him as an actual starter. Otherwise I'd guess 2021 as a year he'd come up as 4OF.

Robert - 20 years old

Doubtful he'll be up either in 2020. I can see him taking the meteoric route. But that puts him in the OF as a toolsy OF in 2020.

Adolfo - 21 years old currently

Probably still at least 2-3 years away.

Basabe - 21 years old

Great defense. Toolsy. Not a great year last year. Strong start this year. Based on defense might be the type of guy who works his way to the MLB level quickly as a 4OF. if you want him to be apart of the true future OF then I think he needs 2-3 more years of seasoning with the bat in the minors.

Long winded post, but my order of who I think has the brightest future 2018-2021 as the fringe 3/4OF while we await Robert. Meaning the guy who should be manning the 3rd OF spot and then slot to 4OF when Robert comes up.

Tilson (current-2021)

Basabe (pushing for job in 2020-2021)

Cordell (pushing for job second half of 2018 and into the future - think job should go to Tilson first)

Leury (holding down the job now, but should be pushed by Tilson)

Rutherford (Ideally ready by 2021 at which point he should replace Tilson or Basabe)

I think that Engel, Jacob May and Thompson shouldn't be considered at all now or in the future.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 18, 2018 -> 12:59 PM)
We also were set in the OF for the next decade with Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney...

Hey Now!!

Brian Anderson STILL should be the starting CF for the Sox. He was robbed!