Adam Engel -- how much longer does he have as a regular?

chitownsportsfan

The numbers (and the eye test) speak volumes about his play:

In 375 MLB PA Engel is slashing 168/243/276 for a wRC of 40. This year he's improved his slash line to 188/308/219 for a wRC+ of 60.

In addition to his well know struggles at the plate Engel has struggled in CF with bad routes, weak throws and lapses in concentration. He's -1.8 runs according to Fangraphs so far in CF.

All in all he's been worth -1 fWAR in a little over half a season of MLB play. If you squint maybe you can see a productive 4th OF but at what point does the org pull the plug on the Engel as starting CF experiment? It would be one thing if he was a guy with a history of success in MilB but that is not the case either. In his last AAA stint Engel hit .218, his overall line buoyed by a flukey .256 iso. His hit tool makes Yoan look like Ted Williams.

With the presumed 3-4 month injury to Cordell perhaps Adam was granted a temporary reprieve last night. That said, those that have followed him closer -- is Tilson ready? [from a quick glance at the AAA stats, no, he's not.]

How about Leury as starting CF? Do the Sox have someone ready to come up into a utility IF role, or do you simply make Tyler the primary backup at 3B, SS and 2B with Yolmer providing emergency cover?

Personally I'm more than ready to move on. I don't see any upside to giving Engel more PA and I'd much rather see them go to Leury.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 11:38 AM)
Cordell being out means a way longer chance for Engel unless Tilson starts tearing up AAA (which might happen). He's a great defensive CFer and that's it. Not good enough to be an MLB starting CFer.

Yeah this looks correct, though I'll say I'd be fine with Leury back in CF full time.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 11:41 AM)
Yeah this looks correct, though I'll say I'd be fine with Leury back in CF full time.

just watching last night Engel was completely overwhelmed at the plate by very mediocre fastballs (to be fair that was most of the lineup as well).

that said, with that swing I'm not sure how he'll ever hit above 200. Probably the longest swing I've seen at the MLB level from a non slugger.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 11:52 AM)
Anytime you play an infielder in the outfield (L. Garcia) you are looking for trouble.

Leury has almost 700 innings in CF now and almost 1000 overall in the OF. He has his brain farts mostly related to throwing but he can go and get the ball well enough. I'm not really happy with how he's being used early on by Ricky. He seems to be almost exclusively a LF defensive replacement for Delmonico. That's wasting the roster spot and wasting his talents imo.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 01:02 PM)
I hope we can be done with the "Awarding the CF position based on spring training play" era.

I am having bad flashbacks to Jimmy Rollins. It seems the Sox love to give starting spots to over the hill guys and "never will be" guys based on spring training.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 11:38 AM)
Cordell being out means a way longer chance for Engel unless Tilson starts tearing up AAA (which might happen). He's a great defensive CFer and that's it. Not good enough to be an MLB starting CFer.

I'd argue that he's a below average defensive CF. The glove was great last year but his arm was putrid. This year, more of the same with his arm, but he's taking horrible routes, missing catchable balls, etc. Of course, over the scope of his MLB career, the glove has been good overall, but his arm negates a lot of that and he has only been getting worse.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 12:17 PM)
I wish the Sox would try Moncada in center field, like the Mariners did with Dee Gordon. I feel that his speed and arm would make him a great fit out there.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He plays a good 2B. Anderson, on the other hand, I wouldn't mind throwing out there

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 12:32 PM)
Let him establish himself as a hitter first

Sometimes teams will move a player to the OF so that they can focus more on their bat, Bryce Harper is the most famous example as he was a catcher before he was drafted.

But...

I think Moncada plays a really good 2B but still has a lot of room to improve. Plus if you move Moncada to the OF, who’s playing second?

I think Moncada will be fine. As Rick Hahn says, development isn’t linear and this year is all about the young guys getting used to and establishing themselves at the ML level.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 01:30 PM)
I think Moncada plays a really good 2B but still has a lot of room to improve. Plus if you move Moncada to the OF, who’s playing second?

Moncada to CF

The Sanchize to 2b

Anderson to 3b

Machado to SS

And it's not a disruption to the players' fielding experience at all :D

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 01:30 PM)
Sometimes teams will move a player to the OF so that they can focus more on their bat, Bryce Harper is the most famous example as he was a catcher before he was drafted.

But...

I think Moncada will be fine. As Rick Hahn says, development isn’t linear and this year is all about the young guys getting used to and establishing themselves at the ML level.

Harper is an OF because he wasn't good enough to catch. Moncada is plenty good enough to play 2B, even at a high level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 01:57 PM)
Harper is an OF because he wasn't good enough to catch. Moncada is plenty good enough to play 2B, even at a high level.

Well, he wasn't good enough to catch at age 19 or whenever it was he came up, and his bat was big league ready at the time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 01:57 PM)

probably also because they didnt want to wreck his knees/legs and shorten his career

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 02:02 PM)
I'd like to see Leury in CF full time. Engel just kind of sucks. Keep him around as the 4th OF if need be, but he shouldn't be getting everyday at bats.

Any update on Cordell injury from yesterday?

He is officially on the DL already, rumor continues to be a broken arm.